Author Topic: Alarmist email re my new Nolan helmet  (Read 624 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Alarmist email re my new Nolan helmet
« on: July 22, 2021, 12:55:00 PM »
I recently purchased an accessory from Nolan-USA for my new Nolan helmet. I purchased the helmet from The Netherlands because no one in N.America carries the helmet which I wanted in my XXXL size.

This week I received an email from the U.S. distributor which I feel is exaggerating the danger to me and so causing needless worry - because I purchased my helmet from Europe. It is exactly the same helmet sold and certified here in the USA - only one size larger than is available here.*
"Yes", I understand that if I have a warranty issue, or if it doesn't fit - I must pay for return shipping to Holland.
I've been wearing a Nolan modular helmet for years - so I know their quality and - most importantly! - how they fit my bigdam head!

I love the new helmet - but now it seems even helmets have become fodder for alarmists!

Stig

* I spoke last evening with a tech from a trusted web source to confirm this.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2021, 10:09:55 PM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
Re: Alarmist email re my new Nolan helmet
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2021, 01:46:14 PM »
Har har!

"Caveat Emptor" always applies, but you did all your due diligence Stig, relax!
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2021, 10:41:20 AM »
Helmet standards in the EU are as strict as they are in the US; you'll be fine :)
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2021, 01:24:46 PM »
Helmet standards in the EU are as strict as they are in the US; you'll be fine :)
Well, that's what I was thinking.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

majunji

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2021, 03:41:17 PM »
They are just as strict, that is true, but they are different and, most importantly, not recognized either way. Which means that a helmet that meets the US DOT motorcycle helmet standard FMVSS 218 and has the DOT sticker on it is just as safe as a helmet that meets the European motorcycle helmet standard ECE 22.05 but is technically not legal to use on European roads and would be considered riding without a helmet if push comes to shove. I have actually witnessed that happen once in Italy many years ago.

The same might happen here in the US although the story is much more complicated because the US are comprised of 50 states with 50 different motorcycle helmet laws. If your specific state requires a helmet to be worn and defines the standard it needs to meet, aka DOT FMVSS 218, wearing a European one that meets ECE 22.05 instead and therefore doesn't have the DOT sticker on the back would technically not be considered an approved and accepted helmet even though it might meet all requirements but simply has never been tested.

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2021, 06:04:41 PM »
having lived/worked/ridden in Europe for near 25 years----worked as /safety Professional, BSc Safety, I feel their standards are probably better than US in many cases---one must remember helmets maybe protect brain when some sort of mistake is made....but not in all cases.

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2021, 10:04:18 PM »

I believe they are stricter
RandyO
IBA#9560

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2021, 10:12:21 AM »
@Stig, here in Europe it's mandatory to wear
 ECE 22.05 or higher approved headgear. It has to have an additional  E-and approval country number in a circle tag,  in it.
But any "brand" helmet will have that two labels, no matter what shape and use and where it has been produced originally. No labels, no use on public streets.
So, also under 50ccm mofas are to be ridden with an approved helmet.
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2021, 10:42:33 AM »
Surely better to wear an EU certified lid that fits correctly than a DOT sticker Ed lid which doesn’t?
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()