Author Topic: Kymco Zing Starting/running problems  (Read 1530 times)

Hardly Davidson

• Yippee Kyyay...
    • View Profile
Kymco Zing Starting/running problems
« on: October 25, 2010, 03:19:56 PM »
Hi guys, I thought I'd post this as it happened to me so it kinda follows you could all fall victim to this problem.

Last week I was out for a ride, enjoying the sun when my bike just died, no warning, no misfire, just stopped. A fellow biker stopped to try help me sus out what the problem was. we checked the fuel 3/4 of a tank, we checked the electrics all working, still nothing. Eventually I had to call for the big truck with flashing lights! He took out the plug, perfect. Checked for a spark, no problem, still the beast refused to start or even fire!. At this point I was praying to the god of cdi that it wasn't failing..

Eventually we had all the plastics off and started to check the wires. It was then that the repair guy found a four way socket (4 in, 4 out) in (what he later admitted was) desperation he yanked it apart; all of the contacts were covered in green gunk (verdigris he called it). We cleaned them and sprayed a good dose of wd40 into the socket then tie wrapped it back together. She fired up first kick and ran like a top.

Then this morning, exactly the same thing happened again, I went through the motions and she started and ran perfect again. Needles to say, I've since been on a 'ahem' famous auction site and ordered a new socket so hopefully this will end this problem for good.

I guess what I'm saying here folks is, don't just look at the obvious, one bad earth or bad connection, and you ain't going nowhere!

Hope this helps out a few!!

Hardly

Hoolander2

• View Profile
Re: Kymco Zing Starting/running problems
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 06:09:14 PM »
Wow!  You might have never traced that down but for pure luck!  Will keep that in the back of my mind for future use, for sure! 

Verdigris, huh. 

Agent Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 08:54:22 PM »
I had to google "verdigris" to find out what it was. I think I've seen it on copper pipes in  the basement, but would never expect to see it in a scoot. If I did, I'd probably call it corrosion.

oswaldters

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2010, 11:27:19 PM »
Yeah, had to Google it too.

For all those with a slow internet connection today:

verdigris is the common name for a green pigment obtained through the application of acetic acid to copper plates or the natural patina formed when copper, brass or bronze is weathered and exposed to air or seawater over a period of time. It is usually a basic copper carbonate, but near the sea will be a basic copper chloride.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()