Author Topic: Are there times or places you will never ride your scooter?  (Read 1290 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Are there times or places you will never ride your scooter?
« on: August 08, 2021, 01:43:26 PM »
Since retiring - I only ride my scooter at daybreak - through town into the country.
And I cannot recall the last time I was out on my scooter past 10:00AM.

Under no circumstances will I ride in a 5-lane heavily trafficked mall type commercial area, fronted both sides by restaurants, dept. stores, etc.. (I have photos of a red LIKE200i which was hit&runned  by a van turning into Walmart there a few yrs ago. NO way that guy should have been riding there.)

I simply have no reason to play in traffic, in this town, on a scooter.

Are there times of day and/or places you never ride?

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Togger

• View Profile
Re: Are there times or places you will never ride your scooter?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2021, 05:37:03 PM »
I generally ONLY ride at night. It's much more peaceful and there's almost no traffic. And I live in a big city.

rjs987

• 2022 Kymco AK 550 - Matte Deep Blue
  • Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2021, 06:31:01 PM »
I cannot say "never" but almost never will I ride on any road that has snow/ice on it. I've been on roads that had a cold 2 inches of firm slush on them but only 'cuz I had no choice if I were to get home from work. I also am not interested in riding gravel roads or dirt paths. Give me clear dry pavement no matter what the tempurature.  ;D
/bob
2022 Kymco AK 550 Super Touring Extreme in Matte Deep Blue
RETIRED - US Navy and Air National Guard and civilian career

Ex-KLR

• Cumberland County Tennesee
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2021, 07:39:51 PM »
I ride my Like 150i ABS on any improved road except Interstates and other 55 mile plus roadways.
I attempted a relatively rough trail once , but the small wheels and limited suspension weren't up to it.
My night vision is poor, so I ride mostly during daylight hours.
Many years ago, I loved to take night rides on country roads on my NSU Fox.
Like 150i ABS

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2021, 09:58:47 PM »
Rode snow once in '68 or '69. Never again. Don't like unpaved nor mud so avoid those unless being chased by satanic, deranged zombies.

Prefer paved two lanes and ride freeway frequently by necessity. Nachez Trace highway is ideal. I imagine Blue Ridge Parkway similar except for speeders and crowds.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2021, 10:57:52 AM »
Scooter= not off road----once in Japan, took short cut, ended up with 100km of really ruff trail---on Helix=not fun.  Bike and me dirty but otherwise ok---one of the problems of scooter=no pegs to stand on, tank to grip with knees.

Lived  and rode 10 years in Tokyo...that kind of traffic ok.  US, my 55 plus community, these old farts in their big tanks scare me!   and they are rude!

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2021, 11:22:53 AM »
I generally ONLY ride at night. It's much more peaceful and there's almost no traffic. And I live in a big city.
Every one of my rides starts in the dark...so I'm fascinated by that !
What city ?....USA? Europe?
Asia?
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2021, 06:01:07 PM »
No, I’d never say “never”, but I prefer not to ride on motorways.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2021, 03:14:35 PM »
never is a long time....but always try to avoid rush hour riding (4:30 - 6) and especially never rush hour on a Friday afternoon. Avoid riding at night, rain, interstates, dirt, gravel...

love riding on smooth 2 lane in mid morning to mid afternoon...the occasional after dinner ride - but I need to wait later in the evening as the setting sun in your eyes can be brutal!
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

Togger

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2021, 03:33:18 PM »
Every one of my rides starts in the dark...so I'm fascinated by that !
What city ?....USA? Europe?
Asia?
Stig
Detroit suburbs, and there are many deer along the roads I have to be careful about.

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2021, 10:39:52 AM »

“love riding on smooth 2 lane in mid morning to mid afternoon...the occasional after dinner ride - but I need to wait later in the evening as the setting sun in your eyes can be brutal!”

Reminds me of my youth Hawk, commuting for six months and riding east into the sunrise in the mornings and west into the sunset after work.  As you say, brutal. And all those missed photo opportunities!
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2021, 01:16:29 PM »
Lots of times I don't ride excessive heat /cold or rain.  I stay off the interstates when possible and will not ride in a large metroplex. I don't care for have traffic and avoid it like the plague.   The scooters never go off rode, not built for it.

I mainly use the scooters for going on trips to small towns to eat. Around town for errands.  I ride county roads that are in nice condition  and less traveled.
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

NomadCF

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2021, 05:06:48 PM »
I won't start out a ride on ice although I've ended a few having to. And I prefer to not start my ride to work in the rain. But I have zero issues starting out in the rain for any other ride.

Now snow riding is a so so for me. I don't mind the snow as much as the ice I fear is under it or the 4x4 flying past me that think their big wheels are going to do anything for them when they start to slide .

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2021, 06:43:40 PM »
I won't start out a ride on ice although I've ended a few having to. And I prefer to not start my ride to work in the rain. But I have zero issues starting out in the rain for any other ride.

Now snow riding is a so so for me. I don't mind the snow as much as the ice I fear is under it or the 4x4 flying past me that think their big wheels are going to do anything for them when they start to slide .
Yep, I remember hauling nurses and food to a hospital in my new Rabbit during a blizzard in Ohio back in the 70's. Only vehicles out were police cars....then I saw a Jeep going 45 mph backwards through a light in downtown Dayton. He hit a few curbs and then rolled slowly onto his top on the sidewalk. I gave him a friendly honk as i drove by.
Idiots think 4WD makes them invincible.

Stig

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

aschrauth

• Have patience, Don't be in such a Hurry.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2021, 11:53:12 PM »
I ride almost everywhere. Although there are times when I cannot. When it is Icy out or when I need to go grocery shopping for the month. Other than that I ride whenever I can.
Kymco 125cc
Wolf Rx50 BBK 80cc

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()