Author Topic: Remove Glove box lock?  (Read 2562 times)

stiffi

• View Profile
Remove Glove box lock?
« on: October 26, 2010, 01:36:27 AM »
Has anybody found a way to remove the lock on the Glove box on many of the Kymco models?

I thought I would use it, in fact it was a selling point when I bought the bike, but on my People, the key is the same as the key for the ignition. So, I find it is too much of a pain in the neck to take the key out of the ignition to use the box.

What I typically find is that I want to use it because I suddenly realize I'm riding with something in my pocket, I meant to put in storage. So I think "I'll use the glove box" only to remember, I'd have to stop the bike.

I think if it was unlocked, with some sort of clasp, I'd use it a lot to hold stuff while I was riding. For anything locking, I find it easier to just toss it in the pet carrier.

So, has anybody else had this problem? How did you remove the lock?

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
Re: Remove Glove box lock?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 01:39:22 AM »
...duplicate the key and carry it in you pocket??
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

stiffi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 01:52:51 AM »
Yeah, I thought about that. That goes back to fishing around for something while driving to get it open.

I just want a way to pop it open on the fly, so I can toss something in there while riding.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 02:01:01 AM »
...go to MSC online...

..they sell everything...

..if not them, then try McMaster-Carr online...

..at either place, you can find NUMEROUS types of industrial related "latches"...

..bet you could find something that would work and look cool as well...

;)

peace

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 02:03:28 AM »
Wonder if you could duplicate the key and epoxy it into the lock?  Carefully so as not to epoxy the lock barrel in place!   ;D  Guess that'd be a glaring invitation for someone to try to break it out so as to steal the scooter though. . .

JB Weld or similar would work good for that i would think.  And you could grind off most of the handle part of the key only leaving enough to turn it.  Then put some kind of knob over that and nobody would know there's a key in there.  Ha! 
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 02:16:15 AM by Hoolander2 »

stiffi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2010, 02:07:06 AM »
...go to MSC online...

..they sell everything...

..if not them, then try McMaster-Carr online...

..at either place, you can find NUMEROUS types of industrial related "latches"...

..bet you could find something that would work and look cool as well...

;)

peace

What is MSC online? Can you give me a direct URL please?

pedro

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2010, 02:11:49 AM »

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2010, 02:17:50 AM »
...woo-hooo!!..pedro on th' ball!!!...

;D

pedro

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2010, 02:20:02 AM »
MSC has pretty much everything.   :D

stiffi

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2010, 02:23:39 AM »
Thanks,

That probably makes much more sense than drilling out the lock. That would be really bad for resale value!

Maybe I can keep the lock open and find some sort of latch to mount instead.

Thanks for the advice!

stiffi

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2010, 04:40:32 AM »
Well that won't work.

Just took a closer look. I had forgotten that the key has to be in the lock in order to close the door. So, I'm back to either breaking off a key in the lock, or somehow removing it altogether.

Probably a bad idea either way. I'm still open to hearing about anybody else who may have done this.

thanks

Rianna

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2010, 04:21:38 PM »
You might be able to go to a junkyard and buy a used glove box lock and key for a car that works for a few dollars. If the size fits and you install it. You could just leave the key in while you are riding and if you forgot or didn't take it out when you parked at least that key would not start the scoot.

Also I know that there are "T" shaped handles. I have seen them on the back hatch portion of older SUV type cars. Maybe there is something like that available where you just turn the handle to open it and turn it back to close it. Possibly a large hardware type store that also makes keys would know. I hope you find a workable solution. Good luck.

jinx63303

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2010, 02:20:39 AM »
On my wife's Sym, we were able to make a shorter duplicate key that won't work in the ignition, just the glovebox door. Most glovebox locks don't let the ignition key go in all the way and will allow a shorter duplicate key just to access the glovebox lock. When we go somewhere she has to secure the glovebox, she just removes this key. I mounted it in a small plastic knob with JB Weld to make it easier to turn.

You might check and see how far the ignition key goes into the glovebox lock to determine if this would work.

Jinx

stiffi

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2010, 05:08:05 AM »
I like this idea! I'm going to check it out tomorrow. Thanks!

stiffi

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2010, 03:15:13 AM »
Ugh, so close!

I started to do the "half key in the lock" idea. Just like the Sym, it appears the key only goes 90% into the glove box lock. So, I got a key made then hacked off the top. I got a kitchen cabinet drawer knob and started to put the key inside. Then like a genius I decided to hammer the tip of the key to make sure it was good and tight. Well, I dulled the tip of the key, then it wouldn't go in anymore.  :'(

So, it seems the idea will work. I just need to get another key made!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()