Author Topic: Urban Mobility Solution?  (Read 379 times)

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
Urban Mobility Solution?
« on: August 20, 2021, 07:17:39 AM »
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
Re: Urban Mobility Solution?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2021, 07:33:19 AM »
I beleive Kymco has a electric scooter in the works. 

(Personal opinion only)- I beleive the heavy metals in these batteries is a bigger risk to the environment then fossil fuel.  Couple that with one of these catches fire they are extremely difficult to put out a metal fire. In Texas a Tesla caught fire and the fire department put 12,000 gallons of water on the fire to no avail.  The fire dept called Tesla to find out how to put the fire out, Tesla told them to let it burn itself out. Afterwards they had 12,000 gallons of water contaminated with heavy metals  into the environment.  I beleive Mercedes Benz is coming up with new battery technology that's safer for the environment. 

Like a magnesium fire metal fire's are difficult to extinguish. Magnesium will burn under water. 
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2021, 08:39:43 AM »
I beleive Kymco has a electric scooter in the works. 

(Personal opinion only)- I beleive the heavy metals in these batteries is a bigger risk to the environment then fossil fuel.  Couple that with one of these catches fire they are extremely difficult to put out a metal fire. In Texas a Tesla caught fire and the fire department put 12,000 gallons of water on the fire to no avail.  The fire dept called Tesla to find out how to put the fire out, Tesla told them to let it burn itself out. Afterwards they had 12,000 gallons of water contaminated with heavy metals  into the environment.  I beleive Mercedes Benz is coming up with new battery technology that's safer for the environment. 

Like a magnesium fire metal fire's are difficult to extinguish. Magnesium will burn under water.

I've mentioned on here before KK that the demand for rare earth metals that any wholesale world-wide switch to battery powered cars would need is completely unsustainable, never mind the issues you outline over fires / contamination.  Talk over here lately is of developing green electricity generation to power plants producing hydrogen to use in cells for powering transport (and converted Gas CH boilers) with water as the only by-product?  Sounds a better option on the face of it?
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2021, 01:23:24 PM »
I've mentioned on here before KK that the demand for rare earth metals that any wholesale world-wide switch to battery powered cars would need is completely unsustainable, never mind the issues you outline over fires / contamination.  Talk over here lately is of developing green electricity generation to power plants producing hydrogen to use in cells for powering transport (and converted Gas CH boilers) with water as the only by-product?  Sounds a better option on the face of it?
Just seen on the news the new British double decker hydrogen powered bus. At least across the pond they are doing this in a  logical way. Yes hydrogen is way better then battery power with water being the only by-product.

On this side of the pond we have a knee-jerk reaction to issue a lot of times making a problem worse instead  of better.  Go back a few years to the  MTBE* oxygenator for gasoline to make it burn better.  A tiny amount contaminates ground water for a vast area. 

* (methyl tert butyl ether)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 01:31:53 PM by Kansas kymco »

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2021, 02:19:59 PM »
Neil in South East Kansas  North East Oklahoma we have two towns that were bought out and now ghost towns from heavy metals from lead mining and are uninhabitable  and will cost the taxpayers millions to clean up. Pritchard Oklahoma and Galena Kansas are the two towns.

While I'm no proponent of coal just North of the metal contaminated area were strip mining operations for coal. This is where the largest scoop shovel is located (Big Bruts electric shovel ).  One bucket of over burden is enough to fill 3 railroad cars.  The coal mining operations were closed and the area reclaimed and is usable.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 02:22:10 PM by Kansas kymco »

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()