Author Topic: Dog on a Moped  (Read 1163 times)

pa-outdoorsman

• Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
Dog on a Moped
« on: August 20, 2021, 03:00:42 PM »
OK, here's one you don't see every day -- a dog on a moped.

Recently visited family in Rhode Island and spent a day out on Block Island with my brother and sister-in-law, who insists on taking her lap dog everywhere. Yes, she actually held this dog as we scooted around the island on Genunie Scooter Co. Urbano 50s. I'm not sure such a practice would receive a 5-star safety rating from the National Institute of Highway Safety, but it DID seem to get lots of positive reactions from fellow tourists.

At any rate, as someone who NEVER rides at home without ATT, it was interesting that on the island, everyone (including us) just rents mopeds and cruises around in their bathing suits and Crocs. I mean, they "only" go 30 mph but you can lose a lot of skin on pavement at 30 mph, right? Guess I just decided to live dangerously for a day. At least we wore helmets!

Anyway, as for the scooters themselves, this was my first time ever on a stock 50cc machine, and let's just say I was not impressed. You hit the throttle and the engine revs, but it took the bike about two more seconds to think about it and decide whether it actually wanted to move. And I think 0-30 in 30 seconds is about right. LOL.

I don't suspect this is a particular criticism of the particular make/model we rented. Probably similar for all 50 cc machines, short of modification. And, you also have to take into account that the rental scoots on the island get beat on daily by all manner of drivers. It was somewhat amusing that every scooter on the island appeared to have one in tact rear-view mirror. My kids asked me about it, and my best guess is that these scooters get dropped, side swiped, etc., so often that within weeks of getting a new unit, one or both mirrors are broken. So, the rental places just poach mirrors off other bikes until it gets to the point there is only one good mirror available for each bike.
2018 Kymco UXV 450i
2021 Honda ADV 150

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Dog on a Moped
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2021, 03:23:39 PM »
The most frightening part of this story is the ....Crocs🙈.......
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2021, 03:24:47 PM »
Happens every summer on most Mediterranean islands!
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2021, 04:24:58 PM »
Oh yes, crocs frighten me too. Make stinky feet. Here in Italy we prefer open sandals to air toes.
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2021, 05:37:39 PM »
The person in charge of our Romeo rides  brings his lap dog on rides. The dog rides in a milk crate on the back with a little pet bed in it.

Yes you can lose a lot of skin at 30mph.  The city had just put sealant on the streets and covered them with sand. A dog ran in front of me and I swerved  to avoid it. I would have been ok but the dog changed course and I hit it at a severe lean angle which took me down.  I slid on the road and ground all the skin off my knees through my jeans. I also ground all the skin off the palms of my hands where you could see the muscle move your fingers from not wearing gloves.  I was doing less the 30 mph. I was 14 at the time on a Yamaha 250 with a restricted license .

The dog got up an ran away so never new if he was severely hurt or not.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 11:55:16 PM by Kansas kymco »
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

pa-outdoorsman

• Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2021, 06:56:26 PM »
The person in charge of our Romeo rides  brings his lap dog on rides. The dog rides in a milk crate on the back with a little pet bed in it.

Yes you can lose a lot of skin at 30mph.  The city had just put sealant on the streets and covered them with sand. A dog ran in front of me and I swerved  to avoid it. I would have been ok but the dog changed course and I hit it at a severe lean angle which took me down.  I slid on the road and ground all the skin off my knees through my jeans. I also ground all the skin off the palms of my hands where you could see the muscle move your fingers from not wearing gloves.  I was doing less the 30 mph. I was 14 at the time on a Yamaha 250 with a restricked license .

The dog got up an ran away so never new if he was severely hurt or not.

OUCH!
2018 Kymco UXV 450i
2021 Honda ADV 150

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2021, 09:10:58 AM »
Friend of mine hit the deck at about 30 mph on a Greek island holiday when I was about 20. Man it was a mess. Local guy on the scene rushed him into the sea to wash him off - salt water has both cleaning and healing properties it seems! Ouch x2!

Back at our village the local medic painted his wounds with iodine. No lasting damage, but it ruined his love life for the week.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2021, 10:10:39 AM »
Going down definitely changes your attitude towards safety gear.  Growing up I  rode dirt bikes and always wore all my safety gear.

As someone said (dress for the slide not the ride).

I will admit for errands around town I usually just wear just a helmet, gloves and boots. For the highway I add my motorcycle pants and jacket.

Stig maybe you can chime in on this. Many decades ago when Mom was in the hospital for heart surgery there was a person suffering head trauma and they could not give him anything for the pain. Mom said he was moaning in agony all night. If this doesn't convince you to at least wear a helmet nothing will.
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2021, 11:35:00 AM »
Going down definitely changes your attitude towards safety gear.  Growing up I  rode dirt bikes and always wore all my safety gear.

As someone said (dress for the slide not the ride).

I will admit for errands around town I usually just wear just a helmet, gloves and boots. For the highway I add my motorcycle pants and jacket.

Stig maybe you can chime in on this. Many decades ago when Mom was in the hospital for heart surgery there was a person suffering head trauma and they could not give him anything for the pain. Mom said he was moaning in agony all night. If this doesn't convince you to at least wear a helmet nothing will.
Now you've me reaching way back to a Ft Sam Houston classroom....
Facial injuries, morphine ok....but suspected head trauma -  morphine can increase brain bleeding, raising intercranial pressure.
Remember - field medics are essentially first responders....then my time in an evac hospital meant we saw them only for a short time before they wre stabilized and moved on to a bigger hosp on the coast of Vietnam,  or on to Japan.
Big head trama to me meant, in the field, use all of  his field dressings first....because this is going to bleed like a sonofab---save my dressings for others.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

leomagnus

• Providence, RI
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2021, 07:46:33 PM »
Hope you enjoyed your time in RI...You even got some Tropical Storm weather ;p

Dean
Rome, Italy
'97 Honda SH50
'98 Aprilia SR50
'01 Gilera Runner 180
'05 Honda SH150
I have minor knowledge on basic maintenance based of many conversations with scooter mechanics in Rome, Italy.

Warwick, RI, USA
'12 Kymco People GTi 300
'18 Kymco Xciting 400i ABS
'22 Kymco AK550 ABS

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()