Author Topic: NSR: Maybe don't spend so much time in the sun?  (Read 745 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
NSR: Maybe don't spend so much time in the sun?
« on: August 27, 2021, 10:04:38 PM »
Too many decades of working or playing in the sun.
When you work you can't use sun screen - and it seems too hot to wear long sleeved shirts.
But the smart lawn care & construction workers do --- and wear broad brimmed hats to keep the sun from their necks and ears.

Coin-sized lump on top of my L arm was diagnosed as cancer - and today a vascular surgeon cut it out....along with a bit of a vein it was wrapped around.
Left me with a 3.5" row of stitches.

(And don't forget your two shingles vaccines!)

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
Re: NSR: Maybe don't spend so much time in the sun?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2021, 11:32:46 PM »
great advice to cover up from the sun...and glad you caught yours early. Good reminder for us all to get a regular skin cancer check from a Dermatologist.  Heal up soon, Major Tom.
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

aschrauth

• Have patience, Don't be in such a Hurry.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2021, 12:51:33 AM »
Hope you heal soon Tom. Colon cancer runs in my family on my dads side. At the age of 40 I will be due for my first Colonoscopy
Kymco 125cc
Wolf Rx50 BBK 80cc

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
NSR: FIXED -- too much time in the sun?
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2021, 08:11:50 PM »

Stiches removed today - and biopsy report on the remainder of the meat removed was good.
I wanted the whine - but daughter said I had to 'man-up'. She took me for a coffee and a muffin afterwards....where we spotted a really nice new 150 Primavera.
(actually, I usually remove the family's stiches with a suture removal kit I swiped years ago - but needed the biopsy report....so I had to show up for the appointment)

Major Tom
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

rjs987

• 2022 Kymco AK 550 - Matte Deep Blue
  • Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2021, 08:34:10 PM »
Good news on the results.

I had the same issue on the tip of my nose back in 2012!
As those of you know who ride with a full face helmet (no, not modular but a real solid full face helmet) the face is right there in the sun. For the last 12 years all my helmets have also had a drop down sun visor inside the clear visor and with those only the tip of my nose is full exposure to the sun. Sure, the visors on good modern helmets are polarized but still the sun shines through. Add to that I grew up working through middle school, HS and some college as a public pool life guard. And even before that spent almost every day, all day, at the outdoor pool during summers as long as I can remember. My dad was HS PE teacher, swim coach, summer public pool manager, Red Cross swim lessons organizer, etc. So everything was about being out in the sun. I would usually end up turning as red as a lobster in full boil by Memorial Day and that would peel off to a very dark brown by 2 weeks later. I'm actually very surprised I didn't get cancer earlier or have had it much more often. My dermatologist says that usually a second or third or more skin cancers show up within a few years after the first is removed. But so far nothing is showing up again. Fingers crossed here.

Hope it stays away for you as well. But keep going to those checkups just to be sure.
/bob
2022 Kymco AK 550 Super Touring Extreme in Matte Deep Blue
RETIRED - US Navy and Air National Guard and civilian career

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()