Author Topic: 1st the ergos - then the valves - when buying a new scooter  (Read 1143 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
1st the ergos - then the valves - when buying a new scooter
« on: September 01, 2021, 04:31:21 PM »
First - does it fit me?
Second - how hard is it to DIY - especially the valves? (if it's a serious contender then I first buy a service manual to study DIY'ing)
Got Dumb Lucky with the LIKE200i!

For the Liberty I did my research by buying a service manual first.

I'm too cheap to pay for a valve check - and too 'something' to ignore them

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

rjs987

• 2022 Kymco AK 550 - Matte Deep Blue
  • Central Iowa
    • View Profile
Re: 1st the ergos - then the valves - when buying a new scooter
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2021, 06:43:02 PM »
I totally agree with you. That's why I downloaded the service manual for the AK 550 some months ago.
You do know there is a word for that "something" you mention. Is that word in the language filter?

There is one thing you forgot to mention in your list... Parts availability.

Personally I don't really need ready access down the street for any parts for any bike I buy. Just if I can get what I need from... someplace.
My very first bike was Harley Davidson 125 dual sport (actually produced by some Italian company and distributed by AMF). I bought that bike about 10+ years after production had stopped for it. The throttle controls casing broke and I had to push for HD to cast me a new one. Actually surprised they did that but that's what I was told. It was cast aluminum, very brittle. This was also the bike I learned what it meant to own a Harley. The piston had seized and badly scored the cylinder. Spent the Winter months in my one car garage in pieces all over the floor. Re-bored the cylinder double over-sized, replaced the piston with a slightly larger one and replaced the rings. I think that ended up being closer to a 130 cc when I was done with it.

So valve checks are easy as long as I can get to them without totally removing the engine. Any other maintenance I can do as indicated above. Yet I'm a computer tech, but mainly computer hardware tech much more than the OS or other software. Though I can do both and did while in the Navy and ANG as well as my civilian career. It does help to be mechanically inclined also. I sometimes take things apart, repair, and reassemble without the help of manuals. Did that with the Harley. I find it's really not that hard but it is a matter of deciding that you can do it.
/bob
2022 Kymco AK 550 Super Touring Extreme in Matte Deep Blue
RETIRED - US Navy and Air National Guard and civilian career

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2021, 07:20:22 AM »
Thanks Stig, I now see some of the allure of your Like.
To do the valves on it's cousin the S200 you have to remove most of the body work.
Not as bad as you'd think, really about 20 minutes extra on the job once you know what you're doing, but still a bit of extra fiddling an access panel could fix.
2008 SYM HD200 "Niwanibiz"
2018 Suzuki Burgman AN650z "Bebaamaadizid"

k9 S200 (Blue) "Max" (Sold)
k8 SYM HD200 "Indigo" (Deceased)
k7 Suzuki Burgman 650 "Ohanzee" (Sold)

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2021, 11:26:32 AM »
Question Stig, have you ever found the valves to be very much out of tolerance?
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2021, 02:19:45 PM »
Thanks Stig, I now see some of the allure of your Like.
To do the valves on it's cousin the S200 you have to remove most of the body work.
Not as bad as you'd think, really about 20 minutes extra on the job once you know what you're doing, but still a bit of extra fiddling an access panel could fix.

The LIKE - yeah, you can actually do it with the seat in place - but I like the extra daylight down there so I take it off.
Just need to undo the 3 screws on the battery cover and 2 screws on the center panel and pop it off carefully. Put a heavy cloth on the battery and go to work!
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2021, 02:28:46 PM »
Question Stig, have you ever found the valves to be very much out of tolerance?

Sometimes one is a little tight. Well, too tight for my liking.......
"Problems?" : once I tried to set fire to my LIKE by forgetting a paper towel placed to catch oil drips when removing valve cover. A few miles later I smelled something trying to catch fire.
And, on the Liberty - the valve cover gasket slipped out of place when I put the cover back on - and started a small oil leak.
I keep spares of the gasket for both scoots.

One of my hobbies is reading all the excuses that Honda PCx owners give for not ever checking their valves.....a job which requires starting back at the tail light and working forward! :)

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2021, 08:06:41 AM »

One of my hobbies is reading all the excuses that Honda PCx owners give for not ever checking their valves.....a job which requires starting back at the tail light and working forward! :)

Stig

... and yet worldwide such a good seller...
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

rjs987

• 2022 Kymco AK 550 - Matte Deep Blue
  • Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2021, 02:13:03 PM »
Wait a minute! You have to check the valves on a PCX?!? But it's a HONDA. Those valves are supposed to last forever without ever needing adjusting... right? Like checking the engine coolant in a '68 VW Bug.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2021, 02:16:15 PM by rjs987 »
/bob
2022 Kymco AK 550 Super Touring Extreme in Matte Deep Blue
RETIRED - US Navy and Air National Guard and civilian career

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()