Author Topic: is anyone practicing?  (Read 796 times)

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
is anyone practicing?
« on: September 06, 2021, 07:30:21 PM »
is anyone practicing slow speed maneuvers and high speed emergency braking? I'm a big fan of Motojitsu's youtube channel and he focuses so much of his time and energy on mastering slow speed maneuvers (parking lot tight u turns, etc.) and high speed braking.

I agree with the premise that anyone can ride a bike fast in a straight line..takes little to no skill...but slow speed tight turns and high speed braking are more advanced skills that can save your life (and your bike).

When I go out I try to stop by a local elementary school to do some u turns. Today I was on my Helix making tight right and left u turns. I am satisfied if i can make the u turn within the width of 2 parking spaces. Both to the right and to the left (I'm usually better to my left). Do a bunch of u turns in both directions then speed off for a few panic braking stops. I try to do it from around 30 MPH, 45 MPH and less often from highway speeds.

I am by no means an expert but I feel that by practicing these things it makes me a safer and better rider.

How about you guys...anyone devote any time to practicing?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2021, 07:38:15 PM by Iahawk »
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: is anyone practicing?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2021, 08:47:58 PM »

Practice.
With the handlebars...?
"Nope."

Only thing I work on (practice to improve) is my 'thinking' while riding several times each week.
I imagine it is my decision making that is my biggest threat when, where and at the speed I'll be riding.

Frankly - if done right, I find that riding can be mentally tiring. Not exhausting, but I certainly can tell I've been 'working' out there with those idiots.

Stig

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

rjs987

• 2022 Kymco AK 550 - Matte Deep Blue
  • Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2021, 08:49:52 PM »
I guess my time as an athlete in HS and before has taught me that it is possible to practice the basics of almost anything simply by pushing yourself to be better every time you do something.
So when I am out riding it is like I am always practicing.
Practicing going straight on a very narrow line. It's surprising how many riders really don't go straight within a line that is only double the width of your tires but instead waver a little side to side at least 4 times the width of the tires. Can you keep to following a very narrow line?
Practicing U-turns while I'm exploring roads I haven't traveled in town before. I often find myself ending up on a dead end so have to do a U-turn. So that becomes a practice session for U-turns. I used to be able to do a U-turn on my Gold Wing within the width of almost 1.5 parking spaces. I say "used to" since I haven't had that bike for 15 years now. I can still do the same on my Burgman 650.
Practicing slow speed riding almost every time I'm in traffic. I was able to make that same Gold Wing move at about walking speed without wavering or swerving to keep my balance. IOW I was able to keep it straight up and well balanced as if it was in a wheel chock, only moving forward very slowly. Again, I do the same practicing regularly in traffic with my Burgman as I approach the line at a red light. I see how long I can take to cover that last 25 feet and then when I do come to a stop (if the light still hasn't turned green yet) I keep my feet on the floor boards as long as possible and challenge myself to be completely balanced with wheels stopped for as long as I can before I even take my feet off the floor boards.
Is that the kind of practicing that you sometimes do when not in an empty parking lot?

When I had my very first bike I used to practice in my apartment parking lot doing circles. I'd go around and around pulling the circle in tighter and tighter and then pull out and go the other way around. I learned to be able to maintain slow speed circles within the space of ONE parking spot. U-turns are just half a circle. Sometimes I'd do figure 8s very tight.
/bob
2022 Kymco AK 550 Super Touring Extreme in Matte Deep Blue
RETIRED - US Navy and Air National Guard and civilian career

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2021, 11:52:08 PM »
rjs987, now you're talking..that space and a half u turn is about the best i can do. Bike really leaned over and head cranked to the side looking exactly where you want to go. It's amazing how many riders can't do this..or have to put feet down every time they do any slow speed maneuvers. Ever watch some guys on big cruisers at the gas station? Not pretty..

Emergency braking is another one..we all think we can stop on a dime..but do we really practice it? So much of riding is muscle memory..practice, practice, practice.
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2021, 12:19:55 AM »
Slow riding, stopping so organized you can take your time putting one foot down and knowing which foot you will use each time. Planning and executing a U turn like you guys described, bars on the stop, throttle and brake to balance. Picking your foot up before moving and then smoothly and slowly roll off. All this stuff can be done while performing "honey-do" missions to the store and back!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

rjs987

• 2022 Kymco AK 550 - Matte Deep Blue
  • Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2021, 12:32:34 AM »
Slow riding, stopping so organized you can take your time putting one foot down and knowing which foot you will use each time. Planning and executing a U turn like you guys described, bars on the stop, throttle and brake to balance. Picking your foot up before moving and then smoothly and slowly roll off. All this stuff can be done while performing "honey-do" missions to the store and back!

Exactly!
Practice is every time I roll down the driveway.
/bob
2022 Kymco AK 550 Super Touring Extreme in Matte Deep Blue
RETIRED - US Navy and Air National Guard and civilian career

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2021, 08:32:41 AM »
I do this a fair bit - and it's so much easier with a light, small bike.

When I was couriering I was pretty good at flicking a small bike about, turning on a pin at slow speed, that sort of stuff.

It's probably all gone downhill a bit now :D
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2021, 10:21:54 AM »
Exactly!
Practice is every time I roll down the driveway.
Have to agree,  experience is the best teacher.  I also agree with Viper about small scooters being so manuvrable.  The People 200S and the Super 8's are featherweight's compared to the Xiciting's . The People S 250 and the Grandvista 250 are more a middleweight.
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2021, 04:05:38 PM »
if I find myself in an empty parking lot, I play around with tight circles, see how far I can lean over, I have no problem doing a U-turn with my big V-strom 1000 on a 20ft wide tow road, my radius is 8ft ±
RandyO
IBA#9560

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2021, 05:00:29 PM »
I try to practice as often as I can.  Braking, turning, swerving, anything that takes some skill. 
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()