Author Topic: 2022 Kymco AK550 mini Review  (Read 3112 times)

Nahmiasj

• View Profile
2022 Kymco AK550 mini Review
« on: September 09, 2021, 03:18:39 PM »
Got my new 550 yesterday,and rode 230 miles,mix of city and highway.Previously rode all Burgmans and the BMW C400X.

Here are my first impressions

Positives:
Great engine,lots of torque,great acceleration.
Superb brakes,both rear and front.
Stable at highway speeds.Rode at 85 for a stretch,and could have easily gone to 90-100 without a problem.Heavy enough that you don't get strong buffeting when being passed by a semi rig.
Great lcd panel,all info easily readable,and easy to cycle through different menus.
Good fit and finish.
Nice stock exhaust sound!
Easy to maneuver in town
Negatives:
Seating position is so-so.I'm 5'7 and found myself having to lean into the handlebars,with resulting neck pain after riding for a while.With my height and inseam no flat footing at stops.Manageable tiptoeing.
Wish the butt bumper was taller with more support and with more adjustment points.
Windshield is a joke.Very bad buffeting on my helmet at highway speeds.Will look for an aftermarket option.
3 gallon gas tank on a scooter this large!Didn't get a good reading on m/g,but be prepared for frequent gas stops.
The main switch that controls the gas tank,seat opening,lock and unlock is really complicated.Read the manual several times and still haven't got he hang of it.
There's an app for the scooter,that allows you to send info from your phone to the front panel.Haven't tried it yet.
Top box will be essential for long trips.Under seat capacity is limited.
Overall I find it to be good value for money,so far.Not a cheap scooter,but so far beats the big Burgman,or BMW.

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
Re: 2022 Kymco AK550 mini Review
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2021, 03:46:52 PM »
Good to read your first impressions there and will be interested to hear more as the relationship develops!

Welcome to the forum.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

rjs987

• 2022 Kymco AK 550 - Matte Deep Blue
  • Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2021, 05:52:34 PM »
Thanks for that review and also welcome here.

Is that actually a 2022 model? I know there are a lot of 2021 models still in some dealers but any AK 550 is hard to find in stock in this country.
What color did you get? I read there are now 4 colors of the 2022 model in the USA. I guess I don't know where you are located... USA or elsewhere.

You mention 3 gallon tank. That would imply the Euro 5 version which should be 3.3 gallon. The 2022 USA version is still indicated to be 3.9 gallon (15 Liters) unless that is wrong on the KymcoUSA website.
Is yours a throttle by wire?

Sorry about all the questions. I'm will soon be visiting a dealer that I found actually has a few in stock including a used one but no 2022 models there yet.
/bob
2022 Kymco AK 550 Super Touring Extreme in Matte Deep Blue
RETIRED - US Navy and Air National Guard and civilian career

Nahmiasj

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2021, 09:13:41 PM »
Thanks for that review and also welcome here.

Is that actually a 2022 model? I know there are a lot of 2021 models still in some dealers but any AK 550 is hard to find in stock in this country.
What color did you get? I read there are now 4 colors of the 2022 model in the USA. I guess I don't know where you are located... USA or elsewhere.

You mention 3 gallon tank. That would imply the Euro 5 version which should be 3.3 gallon. The 2022 USA version is still indicated to be 3.9 gallon (15 Liters) unless that is wrong on the KymcoUSA website.
Is yours a throttle by wire?

Sorry about all the questions. I'm will soon be visiting a dealer that I found actually has a few in stock including a used one but no 2022 models there yet.

Ordered a 2021 and the dealer here in Idaho got a 2022.Price on the the 2022 would have been a bit higher,but he honored the 2021 price.No apparent changes for the 2022.Maybe color options?My manual does not indicate fuel capacity:(. I think  the 2022's are Eurospec,but I'm not sure.
One other not minor detail is that it has TPMS.None of my previous scooters had it.
Just found out the windshield can be adjusted in either of two positions.Will give it a try with a higher adjustment.
Got the silver and yes throttle by wire.Now I'm fighting to get  the  Kymco Noodoe app to work,but it refuses to pair with my Android phone.LOL

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2021, 12:03:01 AM »
Can the handlebars be raised so you don't have to lean to them?
I bought a Honda Forza where the dealer had positioned the bars down near the knees....making it nearly unridable. As soon as I got it home I loosened the 4 bolts and pulled up the bars to a very nice position 😊
Stig
« Last Edit: September 10, 2021, 11:23:50 AM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

rjs987

• Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2021, 02:32:58 AM »
Can the handlebars be raised so you don't have to lean to them?
I bought a Honda Forza where the dealer had positioned the bars down near the knees....making it nearly unridable. As soon as I got it home I loosened the 4 bolts and pulled up the bsrs to a very nice position 😊
Stig

One of the things I noted reading through the service manual I downloaded for the AK 550 and also in the parts breakout on one web site for parts is how unique the handlebars are where they mount to the top triple tree. They do not have a typical bar clamp and the handlebars are not a single bar that is clamped to stock risers. Each side is a separate bar that ends in a stud that goes straight down into the top triple tree and is bolted directly to it. It also looks like there is a brace between the 2 bar halves. I suppose an extender can be made for raising the bars but I have yet to see any in the large supply of farkles available for the AK 550.

Note the handlebars in the middle of this parts breakout...

The parts web site I found this on is here: https://www.bike-parts-kymco.uk/kymco-motorcycle/550-SCOOTER/AK/AK550_4T_EURO_4/HANDLEBAR--MIRROR/169/27/0/169
/bob

Nahmiasj

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2021, 08:29:37 PM »
One of the things I noted reading through the service manual I downloaded for the AK 550 and also in the parts breakout on one web site for parts is how unique the handlebars are where they mount to the top triple tree. They do not have a typical bar clamp and the handlebars are not a single bar that is clamped to stock risers. Each side is a separate bar that ends in a stud that goes straight down into the top triple tree and is bolted directly to it. It also looks like there is a brace between the 2 bar halves. I suppose an extender can be made for raising the bars but I have yet to see any in the large supply of farkles available for the AK 550.

Note the handlebars in the middle of this parts breakout...

The parts web site I found this on is here: https://www.bike-parts-kymco.uk/kymco-motorcycle/550-SCOOTER/AK/AK550_4T_EURO_4/HANDLEBAR--MIRROR/169/27/0/169
Don’t think it can be done without significant mods..Going to solve this by modifying the seat to add much more back support and move my seating position forward.Given my height, there should still be enough space to stretch my legs forward.

rjs987

• Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2021, 01:38:00 PM »
A 2022 model for the 2021 price is a good deal no matter which of the 2021 prices you got. There were actually TWO MSRP prices on the USA 2021 models. It started out at $8999 and then sometime after March, I think, that was raised $400 to MSRP of $9399.

Now the 2022 models have MSRP set at $9899, another $500 higher. I better get on it and buy one before the price jumps to more than what a TMax Tech Max 560 would cost over here.

Though I'm really liking the color choices now available for 2022... Especially that Deep Blue.  ;D
/bob

jermwars

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2021, 06:09:03 AM »
Got my new 550 yesterday,and rode 230 miles,mix of city and highway.Previously rode all Burgmans and the BMW C400X.

Here are my first impressions

Positives:
Great engine,lots of torque,great acceleration.
Superb brakes,both rear and front.
Stable at highway speeds.Rode at 85 for a stretch,and could have easily gone to 90-100 without a problem.Heavy enough that you don't get strong buffeting when being passed by a semi rig.
Great lcd panel,all info easily readable,and easy to cycle through different menus.
Good fit and finish.
Nice stock exhaust sound!
Easy to maneuver in town
Negatives:
Seating position is so-so.I'm 5'7 and found myself having to lean into the handlebars,with resulting neck pain after riding for a while.With my height and inseam no flat footing at stops.Manageable tiptoeing.
Wish the butt bumper was taller with more support and with more adjustment points.
Windshield is a joke.Very bad buffeting on my helmet at highway speeds.Will look for an aftermarket option.
3 gallon gas tank on a scooter this large!Didn't get a good reading on m/g,but be prepared for frequent gas stops.
The main switch that controls the gas tank,seat opening,lock and unlock is really complicated.Read the manual several times and still haven't got he hang of it.
There's an app for the scooter,that allows you to send info from your phone to the front panel.Haven't tried it yet.
Top box will be essential for long trips.Under seat capacity is limited.
Overall I find it to be good value for money,so far.Not a cheap scooter,but so far beats the big Burgman,or BMW.

Do you get a little tiny "clunk" as you decelerate right when the RPM drops off of 3000?

I got my AK550 last friday and im still trying to confirm that the little clunk is a normal...really hope it is
22' KymCo AK550
07' Yamaha Majesty YP400

NomadCF

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2021, 02:09:31 PM »
Quote from: Nahmiasj
Don’t think it can be done without significant mods..Going to solve this by modifying the seat to add much more back support and move my seating position forward.Given my height, there should still be enough space to stretch my legs forward.

When you do figure how to add more (any!!) back support to these. Do let us know, I've taken the "hump" to two seat shops and they where stumped. Theyre biggest issue was how the "hump" attaches to the seat via those two posts. Those two posts if lengthened would be to weak to really support anything taller with also greatly increasing it's rear depth and encroaching on the passangers seating area.

rjs987

• Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2021, 05:29:51 PM »
I did get a good look at that bum bumper back rest when I test rode one on my riding/camping trip last week. There are 2 set screws in one of the rods that limit the back rest from moving too far in either direction. These set screws are about 2 inches apart and it looked to me that you can remove one OR the other and be able to move the back rest another 2 inches either forward or back. I wouldn't remove both or the back rest would be free to slide right off the seat.

If you really want to make a taller back rest jump on over to the BurgmanUSA.com forum and search back rests for the Burgman 650. Many riders over there have modified theirs using a head rest from a certain car (don't remember which right now) and others have made their own from the original back rest as a base. It can be done and there is no issue with the OEM support rods standing up to it. And these mods do not cut into the pillion seating space but only take up no more space than the OEM back rest.

You don't need to lengthen the rods at all. If you simply want to move it more forward or back just remove one of the set screws.

I was able to verify, I think, that the tank capacity for all the USA models is 3.9 gallons. So the very same capacity as my Burgman 650. I can sometimes go as far as 200+ miles on a tank. In fact, I ended up going 209 miles on one tank on my trip last week and filled it with almost 3.6 gallons. Gas station was a bit farther than I realized. I usually am able to go between 165-180 miles per tank.
I am thinking I should be able to do similar to that since the AK 550 has a slightly smaller engine and is 100+lbs lighter than my Burgman (550.4 cc vs 638 cc).
/bob

jermwars

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2021, 06:00:43 PM »
Have you gotten a quote on how much to change the back tire?

It looks like a bit of a chore in the manual...
22' KymCo AK550
07' Yamaha Majesty YP400

rjs987

• Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2021, 06:23:55 PM »
No, I haven't. But I intend to do as I currently do and remove the rear wheel, or front, myself and just take the wheel in to a local shop for the tire change and balance. That usually costs me less than $40, possibly less than $35 depending if I take to one particular shop that I have used before. In fact, time before the last time I had the local Suzuki shop replace the tire bringing in the wheel myself it only cost about $35. The last time I did that on the rear I had them also supply and install new bearings so the cost went all the way up to around $50. I've done similar work on my own on my motorcycles, all except swapping the rubber. Even rebuilt the engine on my first motorcycle, a Harley, back in 1980.

I know other riders are not comfortable nor are able to do their own maintenance. I can, so I do what I can with the tools I have. I have more time than money so...
« Last Edit: October 01, 2021, 01:34:43 AM by rjs987 »
/bob

Clampett

• Uncle Jed
    • View Profile
    • My Maps
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2021, 01:00:49 AM »
I do believe that back rest is from an Isusu Rodeo. I bought one of those from the Burgman forum guy with the pre-bent stems and it was awesome.

jermwars

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2021, 01:12:57 AM »
Ordered a 2021 and the dealer here in Idaho got a 2022.Price on the the 2022 would have been a bit higher,but he honored the 2021 price.No apparent changes for the 2022.Maybe color options?My manual does not indicate fuel capacity:(. I think  the 2022's are Eurospec,but I'm not sure.
One other not minor detail is that it has TPMS.None of my previous scooters had it.
Just found out the windshield can be adjusted in either of two positions.Will give it a try with a higher adjustment.
Got the silver and yes throttle by wire.Now I'm fighting to get  the  Kymco Noodoe app to work,but it refuses to pair with my Android phone.LOL

Thats interesting...I went into the showroom and they had "accidentally" put the 2021 tag on the 2022 bike...i came back the next day and the same bike was suddenly $900 more so i asked the guy on the floor if i need to quit smokin the dope.

He said he could honor the 2021 price that day...and later said he could honor it the next day too but thats all. I couldnt wait that long to buy it though

Most interesting indeed.
22' KymCo AK550
07' Yamaha Majesty YP400

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()