Author Topic: 2022 550 AK windshield  (Read 1477 times)

Ball Four

• View Profile
2022 550 AK windshield
« on: September 14, 2021, 01:18:45 AM »
Greetings.

First post. Planning on being here a very long time.  :)

Happy, new owner of a 550 AK. Windshield has to go. I'm 6 ft and the wind blast is abusive. I saw a very nice video online, done by "Bike TripS." He definitely replaced his shield with a taller / wider screen - with additional wind protection at the bottom of the shield - sticking out to the 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock. If anybody knows what / where this windshield can be found / purchased, please let me know.

Thank you very much.

rjs987

• 2022 Kymco AK 550 - Matte Deep Blue
  • Central Iowa
    • View Profile
Re: 2022 550 AK windshield
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2021, 01:36:55 AM »
Check out the thread on the AK 550 on the ADV forum. A member named Scootertime has the AK 550 and has the larger Givi shield.
In this post he shows a picture of it and gives the Givi part number in that post. He also shows his own AK with the Givi shield a few posts after this one.
https://advrider.com/f/threads/kymco-ak550-in-the-usa-for-2021.1470001/page-19#post-41958479

You can read the several pages before and after where this link takes you to see photos of him sitting on his AK and also of his Dr Pulley sliders kit he bought for it. He likes to post lots of photos of his AK 550. There are a number of members on that forum who have the AK 550. There are at least 2 other threads on the ADV forum about the AK 550.

There is also a lot of talk on the AK on the BurgmanUSA.com forum as well as a newly created (just yesterday in fact) subforum just for the AK 550.

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 01:39:15 AM by rjs987 »
/bob
2022 Kymco AK 550 Super Touring Extreme in Matte Deep Blue
RETIRED - US Navy and Air National Guard and civilian career

Ball Four

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2021, 01:55:55 AM »
Check out the thread on the AK 550 on the ADV forum. A member named Scootertime has the AK 550 and has the larger Givi shield.
In this post he shows a picture of it and gives the Givi part number in that post. He also shows his own AK with the Givi shield a few posts after this one.
https://advrider.com/f/threads/kymco-ak550-in-the-usa-for-2021.1470001/page-19#post-41958479

You can read the several pages before and after where this link takes you to see photos of him sitting on his AK and also of his Dr Pulley sliders kit he bought for it. He likes to post lots of photos of his AK 550. There are a number of members on that forum who have the AK 550. There are at least 2 other threads on the ADV forum about the AK 550.

There is also a lot of talk on the AK on the BurgmanUSA.com forum as well as a newly created (just yesterday in fact) subforum just for the AK 550.

Hope this helps.

THANKS. Much obliged.

Ball Four

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2021, 12:53:03 AM »

Followed your link (thank you again), called Givi, found the screen, ordered same, here very soon according to Givi.

Read all 34 pages on ADV - glad I purchased my 550. A bit disheartening more riders are, can I say this respectfully (?), scooter illiterate. So many great advantages, almost too many to list. What a nice machine. All the many benefits of what we call a motorcycle, and more. Still learning not to pull in the shift lever, VERY much enjoying not having to change gears all the time. YMMV I'm sure. I'm pretty much computer / electronics challenged but love the 3 screens on my bike. Informative and so useful. Light years ahead of the (too) many bikes I've owned in the past.

Ride safe ya'll.

Danny

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2021, 02:18:43 PM »
If Givi making screen ----you can probably order with part number direct from supplier in Italy.   Warning from experience---Givi non adjustable screens run tall and probably need to be cut for safe see over!!   Big scooter market here in US/N America is dead so finding something can be hard.

Ideal----Givi Adjustable if made for 550----they work---I have near 200,000 miles experience with them on 2 new SilverWings and 2 new Burgman 400's.

Ball Four

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2021, 06:23:00 PM »
If Givi making screen ----you can probably order with part number direct from supplier in Italy.   Warning from experience---Givi non adjustable screens run tall and probably need to be cut for safe see over!!   Big scooter market here in US/N America is dead so finding something can be hard.

Ideal----Givi Adjustable if made for 550----they work---I have near 200,000 miles experience with them on 2 new SilverWings and 2 new Burgman 400's.

UPDATE - 550AK - GIVI Touring Windshield...
Understandably, everyone rides the bike of their choice for their own reasons. Me? I am in absolute AWE of this machine. Loved the bike at purchase but could not tolerate the OEM screen. Wind blast was fierce (for me). After some serious research and some help here (thank you!!) I found and replaced the factory screen.

To say the difference is helpful is a huge understatement. The new screen does exactly what I was hoping it would. The ride is now Q-U-I-E-T. Calm. Again, for me, the old screen took out a LOT of fun in riding this bike. Took a chance on the new screen and can not be happier. Yes, I now have to look thru the screen, will take some getting used to. I could shorten the height but won't, risking the ride I have now.

YMMV. It's probably just me...I hate wind blast and noise when I am riding. Can't do it! I recommend the new GIVI D6110ST screen highly for anyone who suffers similarly.

Thank you again for your help.

Ride safe ya'll.

Danny

Nahmiasj

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2021, 10:09:40 PM »
Raised the stock windscreeen on my 2022 AK 550 to it's topmost adjustment ,and compared the height to the Givi tall windscreen D6110ST for this bike .Both measure around 70cm tall.Can someone clarify what I'm missing here?
I was looking to eliminate some of the buffeting at high speed.

rjs987

• Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2021, 10:20:57 PM »
Where is that buffeting hitting you?
Buffeting is not always from off the top of any screen. More often nasty buffeting comes around the sides down low on a screen. Airflow usually is angled UP from the front of the bike to your helmet so it's very possible the buffeting you don't like is coming up from around the bottom and sides of the screen, not the top. Of course, simply getting a bigger screen may backfire. If a screen is not shaped right and is too big you could end up with a terrible back wash from the vacuum created between you and the screen. This is normal when the screen is too tall but not wide enough in the right places. To relieve this back wash some venting must happen at the bottom or middle of the screen to let SOME air come through the vent and reduce the vacuum of the dead air bubble.

I always expect and welcome air flow, which some interpret as buffeting. It's a part of the experience and is a normal part of riding without an enclosed cage around me. I don't welcome true buffeting, which is like being punched by the wind repeatedly as if by those giant puffy boxing gloves that used to be played with by kids. Left then right then left then right and sometimes uppercut! That's what always happens on windy days while passing semi trucks so I expect that too, but hopefully only while passing those big rigs.
/bob

NomadCF

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2021, 02:15:23 AM »
I installed my new windshield today (Givi D6110ST). Holly hell is this thing big, But sizing it wouldn't do due it any justice. The stock windshield is "longer" at the bottom where as the Givi is way shorter at the bottom but taller (on top). The only really good way *I* could think to measure it and have it translate across the web. Was to pick a "fixed point that was the same on both and then measure straight up to the top. So i used the top right mounting bolt on the right side as by starting point and well measured up. The stock windshield measures 13.75" (inches) from the top to the bolt where as the Givi measures 18" (inches) to the bolt. Which makes it 4.25" (inches) taller at the TOP. I didn't even measure the width difference, because it's like night and day. The stock windshield with the exception of the bottom portion if lined up mounting bolts holes to mounting bolt holes fits completely "inside" the Givi.

If the garage wasn't such a mess (disaster), I would have posted some pictures to night. I'll try to take some new ones after work tomorrow.

Mounting notes
 => Mine did not come with the rubber gourmets or inner copper jackets used to hold and stop you from crushing the windshield. So I had to use the ones from the original windshield.
 => Not all the copper jackets and rubber gourmets are the same size !!!!! So you'll need to match up the correct size for the correct hole.
 => *I* found it easiest to put in the upper right and then lower left bolts. then the others and finally star "tighten" them.
 => Having two people there would have made taking it off and putting it on a SLIGHT bit easier. But honestly it's a one person job.

Side note
 => I ordered a 17-19 windshield from ebay and it fit (i know it's been proven X hundred times that the 17-now are all identical. But figured I'd mention it).

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2021, 07:30:36 PM »
The Burgman 400 comes with a tall stock screen.
Head buffeting was amazing.
I replaced it with a short 'sport' screen from Ermax (French)
Much better to ride behind.  Much better!
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

NomadCF

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2021, 01:33:03 PM »
The Burgman 400 comes with a tall stock screen.
Head buffeting was amazing.
I replaced it with a short 'sport' screen from Ermax (French)
Much better to ride behind.  Much better!
Stig

My problem with the stock windshield wasn't a buffeting issue. Actually the stock windshield worked great, my issue was a hat issue. The window would ever so slightly catch the brim of my hat and I always felt like it was going to blow off  ;D

I also didn't like the zig zag look of the stock windshield.

rjs987

• Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2021, 02:25:29 PM »
WAIT!
You don't actually wear protection?!?
Always with a full face helmet here... as well as the full armored riding gear. I ride with an eye for what might happen if I am thrown off or go down. I wouldn't be here today if I didn't. Shredded my riding gear and gashed my helmet in a low side crash at barely over 25 mph. That's bicycle speeds. I have a scar on the side of my right leg, much faded now but still there, from low siding my bicycle when I was in high school due to a car that turned into a side street right in front of me. Didn't have protection then. I was only going just over 25 mph then too. I don't say you HAVE to do as I do but just be aware and prepared.
/bob

jermwars

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2021, 08:52:27 PM »
Greetings.

First post. Planning on being here a very long time.  :)

Happy, new owner of a 550 AK. Windshield has to go. I'm 6 ft and the wind blast is abusive. I saw a very nice video online, done by "Bike TripS." He definitely replaced his shield with a taller / wider screen - with additional wind protection at the bottom of the shield - sticking out to the 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock. If anybody knows what / where this windshield can be found / purchased, please let me know.

Thank you very much.

I just got around to adjusting the windshield to the "up" position and it made a WORLD of difference...i dont know who that lower setting is for!

As much better it is just having adjusted it, i cant imagine how nice the Givi screen is...just wish i could find one who could get one here a little quicker. Should probably just order the one i can find and wait it out
22' KymCo AK550
07' Yamaha Majesty YP400

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()