Author Topic: Speedometer messed up?  (Read 3380 times)

Rianna

• View Profile
Re: Speedometer messed up?
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2010, 02:20:51 AM »
Yes, I hope to resolve it soon, oswaldters. Rule out wherever possible first.

Yeah, pedro, the news said someplace got hit pretty hard with a lot of damage. I missed where it was, but I think it was along the southern border near NC.

pedro

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2010, 02:22:23 AM »
We've been under tornado watch since about 2am today, been tornado warned twice today and had three severe thunderstorm warnings.  Needless to say I test started the generator this morning just in case.

Rianna

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2010, 02:25:05 AM »
test started the generator this morning just in case

Can't blame ya there. Hope you don't need it, though!

pedro

« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2010, 02:27:13 AM »
Me too, but if I do it starts on the first pull.  Gotta love Stabil fuel stabilizer.   ;D

oswaldters

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2010, 02:38:17 AM »
I have to get a generator at some point - been meaning to for a while.

We already had a pretty bad storm this summer that knocked power out for several days. 

Any recommendations on brand Pedro?

pedro

« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2010, 02:42:11 AM »
I bought an el-cheapo from harbor freight years ago after hurricane (tropical storm) isabel came through and knocked out my electricity for 7-8 days.  I would just buy the most powerful/expensive generator your budget allows.  Do yourself a favor and get a "kill-a-watt" power auditor and measure some critical appliances you'd like to have run on the generator, add up all the wattage then buy a generator that can handle that load.

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2010, 02:44:13 AM »
hay Rianna Ill take the speed -o of your hands if you wana sent it my way I need one.lol

oswaldters

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2010, 02:49:40 AM »
Yeah Pedro, I remember Isabel - cost us 5 days without power.

My concern really would be the fridge and to a lesser degree the chest freezer.  I would cycle through them, the fridge only needs to run for 30 minutes or so every 4 hours and the chest freezer can go at least a day without power and not lose anything.

Then again, being able to plug in a fan or two for outages during the summer wouldn't be bad either.

So I figure anything over 3000 watts would do it for us.

Rianna

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2010, 02:50:14 AM »
lol, I'm sorry, blue, I'm gonna put that one back on my scoot once I get the brakes all sorted. I'm sorry yours went out. I hope it's not too expensive for ya to replace. I have wondered if you have to replace the whole cable or just the bottom part when they go out?

TechGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2010, 06:15:17 AM »
When you get the wheel back on and you re trouble shooting the noise, leave the speedometer shaft disconnected from the part where it screws to the front wheel.  Put the pawl parts on the wheel but leave the shaft loose and use zip tie or string and tie it to the front fork near where it belongs until you figure out where your squeal is coming from. Once you figure out (and solve) the noise , re-connect your speedo cable. If ou can't find the noise anymore and then you reconnect and it comes back...it's your speedo cable. you can do without it for a bit. 

I suggest the zip tie so it does get into the wheel by mistake.

Rianna

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2010, 10:35:31 AM »
Thank you, TechGuy for this great idea! It will help to rule it out for sure. I will dig out my small zip ties and secure the loose bottom part of the cable to the metal guide that sits above the height of the wheel today as a reminder so I don't forget and reconnect it by mistake!

TechGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2010, 04:05:24 PM »
When a cable fails, you need to replace the entire cable from the gauge to the wheel. They are normally not too expensive.

Rianna

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2010, 10:09:06 PM »
This has been bugging me for awhile now, but I keep forgetting to post about it. I left the gear wheel out when I put the front tire back on to troubleshoot the noise. But ya know...the scoot don't start unless I hook the cable part back up. Weird. It just acts like it does if you try to start it without flipping the Run/Kill switch when you try to start it without the speedo cable hooked up. Is it supposed to be that way? I thought the cable was only for the speedo. ???

Also, when I finally got the handlebar covers open I found the top part of the speedo cable was unscrewed really far. Why or how would that have come to be that way?? I screwed it back on and left it alone for now. I got enough other stuff to focus on, lol, but it was bugging me.

Rianna

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2010, 06:16:55 PM »
You see the round sort of gold colored part with the opening on each side? I don't have that part. It's missing on mine. I only have the thing under it...the geared part with the two longer parts (one on each side) that sets inside of it. And I think a washer is missing.  :-\

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()