Author Topic: Increasing road safety with flashing brake light  (Read 1050 times)

aschrauth

• Have patience, Don't be in such a Hurry.
    • View Profile
Increasing road safety with flashing brake light
« on: September 23, 2021, 03:18:43 AM »
I have a question that I don't know if anybody knows the answer to if you do please feel free to chime in. I'm looking at purchasing a brake light bulb that strobes when the brake is applied in order to get the attention of other drivers to let them know I'm stopping. I bought one from Amazon earlier back and installed it and it worked just fine but after 2 or 3 rides the bulb got dimmer
and  burned out. It came with a pack of two so I installed the other one and the second one did the same thing. Has anybody installed these or could it been defective bulbs. I will attach the link below to the bulbs I bought on Amazon.

iBrightstar Newest 9-30V Flashing Strobe Blinking Brake Lights 1157 2057 2357 7528 BAY15D LED Bulbs Replacement for Tail Brake Stop Lights, Brilliant Red https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RSHZVYJ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apan_glt_fabc_BSM794WW9DTSYW8DRHQG?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

« Last Edit: September 24, 2021, 05:02:30 AM by aschrauth »
Kymco 125cc
Wolf Rx50 BBK 80cc

Ruffus

• View Profile
Re: Increasing road safety with flashing blinkers.
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2021, 09:51:39 AM »
@ashrauth, thought I just got a bad batch when I (the new owner) of my LIKE had the same experience.
Put this two thread LED combination (drive/brakelight) bulb in it. Took a second one, and after a few days the same, faulty. So I changed back to conventional one bulb.
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2021, 11:19:25 AM »

You will want the "tailBlazer" bulb made by KISAN Electronics.
Not cheap - but it is 'plug and play' .....put the new bulb in and it will do its thing when you touch the brakes, for years.
I used two of these in a Burman 400 scooter and one in a Honda CB500X motorcycle >> with perfect results.
I do not recommend the LED versions - the Halogen are brighter because they work better with the stock reflector.
https://kisantech.com/tailblazer.html

As you'll read, the modulator is built into the base - nothing to wire or change - and bulb itself is replaceable. Mine never needed replacement.
Read about it. Watch the video.
Stig
« Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 11:56:30 AM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2021, 07:23:31 PM »
@Stig, txs, for sure very inventive but for that price I'm too greedy to buy.
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

aschrauth

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2021, 04:59:48 AM »

You will want the "tailBlazer" bulb made by KISAN Electronics.
Not cheap - but it is 'plug and play' .....put the new bulb in and it will do its thing when you touch the brakes, for years.
I used two of these in a Burman 400 scooter and one in a Honda CB500X motorcycle >> with perfect results.
I do not recommend the LED versions - the Halogen are brighter because they work better with the stock reflector.
https://kisantech.com/tailblazer.html

As you'll read, the modulator is built into the base - nothing to wire or change - and bulb itself is replaceable. Mine never needed replacement.
Read about it. Watch the video.
Stig

Those are nice but im too cheap😂 i might try and purchace another brand of flashing 1157 led bulbs. If those burn out I can take them back.
Kymco 125cc
Wolf Rx50 BBK 80cc

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2021, 01:58:19 PM »
Those are nice but im too cheap😂 i might try and purchace another brand of flashing 1157 led bulbs. If those burn out I can take them back.

Absolutely....they are not inexpensive.
I have had 4 scooters - and because I ride out in the dark on every ride I have spent $ and effort to increase my rear brake & running lighting on each scooter.
For me - It is simply a part of the expense of riding a scooter. Each of the systems has proven to be one-and-done.
Again - I'd rather ride than tinker.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

aschrauth

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2021, 03:44:22 PM »
Absolutely....they are not inexpensive.
I have had 4 scooters - and because I ride out in the dark on every ride I have spent $ and effort to increase my rear brake & running lighting on each scooter.
For me - It is simply a part of the expense of riding a scooter. Each of the systems has proven to be one-and-done.
Again - I'd rather ride than tinker.

Stig

I like to tinker, one of the reasons why I fell in love with scooters. I prefer a scooter over a motorcycle or car anyday.
Kymco 125cc
Wolf Rx50 BBK 80cc

john grinsel

• View Profile
Re: Increasing road safety with flashing brake light
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2021, 04:06:17 PM »
Are they legal?

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2021, 08:56:02 PM »
Are they legal?
Every bit as legal as loud pipes and derestricting a 50😊
Stig
« Last Edit: September 24, 2021, 10:30:06 PM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

aschrauth

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2021, 03:09:06 AM »
Are they legal?

I haveent had any complications with it yet. I mainly keey it on. Bt when it is raining or foggy i set it to strobe mode. When im riding in heavy traffic I usually put it in strobe mode. Where I live it is legal as long as it does not mimic red and blue (police and fire)
Kymco 125cc
Wolf Rx50 BBK 80cc

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2021, 02:04:09 PM »
As veteran of 67 years riding, BSc Safety Degree, over 1.5 million miles in 15-20 countries----all this worrying of getting hit from behind, maybe BS----paying attention to riding and what is ahead probably more important!   My experience I have been hit from behind, once in WI----Lady on phone ran stop signs, hit me totaled scooter, hurt my hand. Got bumped in Toll booth in Japan, Sportster, strong rear fender=no damage.

Not keeping up with traffic---being too slow problem, sometimes hard with underpowered bike/scooter, dark clothes big problem but in my experience no amount of flashing tail lite is going to wake some people up

Wiz

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2021, 09:19:08 PM »
I just manually flash my brakes 3 or 4 times whenever I apply them.
IMO this is enough to be more visible without distracting other drivers with disco lights going off.
Current Rides: Can-Am Ryker Rally 900cc, Gold 2012 People GTI 300.

aschrauth

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2021, 04:10:14 AM »
As veteran of 67 years riding, BSc Safety Degree, over 1.5 million miles in 15-20 countries----all this worrying of getting hit from behind, maybe BS----paying attention to riding and what is ahead probably more important!   My experience I have been hit from behind, once in WI----Lady on phone ran stop signs, hit me totaled scooter, hurt my hand. Got bumped in Toll booth in Japan, Sportster, strong rear fender=no damage.

Not keeping up with traffic---being too slow problem, sometimes hard with underpowered bike/scooter, dark clothes big problem but in my experience no amount of flashing tail lite is going to wake some people up

didnt know you could get a degree in safety. I myself have a BA in Criminal Justice. I agree that no amount of flashing is going to wake people up. It just makes me feel safer.  I have a 125cc that has plenty of power. Problem is the police in my area really do not enforce speeding tickets so people tend to go 10-15 miles over the speed limit. In addition to the lack of police presence people around where I live tend to not pay regestration on their vehicles, about 50 percent of all cars I see have either expired te mp tags or expired registration

I am always aware of whats around me when riding. When I was in riding classes long ago I was taght that you are always a target when you are on a motorcycle.Always check your mirrors, use hand signals and always be aware of your surroundings. Problem is nowadays is that people just do not care.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2021, 04:15:51 AM by aschrauth »
Kymco 125cc
Wolf Rx50 BBK 80cc

aschrauth

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2021, 04:17:57 AM »
An interesting read about another user who converted his brake lights. I know some scooters run on AC current. Might consiter this if I ever complete this Mod.

http://www.motoscrubs.com/LED_taillights_AC_motorcycle.htm
Kymco 125cc
Wolf Rx50 BBK 80cc

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2021, 07:47:49 AM »

John I would agree with you.  The danger I encountered was people changing lanes that you occupied and people pulling out in front of you.  I don't understand people's infatuation with wearing black (low visibility) clothing when riding.

The best thing you can do for safety is ride defensively and  anticipate people changing lanes and pulling out in front of you.
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()