Author Topic: 2022 AK550 Mileage  (Read 2400 times)

jermwars

• View Profile
2022 AK550 Mileage
« on: October 01, 2021, 12:01:28 AM »
Ive had my AK550 for almost a week and im getting concerned about the MPG...The red gas light starts flashing at about 135 miles. Not sure how much is left in the tank at that indication but i cant imagine theres a whole gallon left and thats how much id need to get anywhere CLOSE to the MPG im supposed to be getting.

Not sure what to think.

Anyone know when the gas light comes on as far as reserve?

22' KymCo AK550
07' Yamaha Majesty YP400

rjs987

• 2022 Kymco AK 550 - Matte Deep Blue
  • Central Iowa
    • View Profile
Re: 2022 AK550 Mileage
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2021, 12:38:20 AM »
I've read in many places, including journalists reviews, that the gas gauge on the AK goes down VERY VERY rapidly. If your gauge is flashing then the best thing to do is go ahead and fill up just to find out how much you actually put in. And then use that information to adjust how far you can go on a tank. All USA AK 550s should have a 3.9 gallon tank. If you put in 2.5 gallons you are getting about 54 mpg and you should be then able to go over 200 miles on a tank, but only if you intend to run it dry. If you put in more than that you are getting less mpg than that. Either way how much gas you put in to fill the tank will tell you what your mpg is. All new scooters/bikes will improve mpg over the first several hundred, if not first several thousand, miles. My last brand new bike was a CTX1300 and for the first 1500 miles I was averaging only 40-42 mpg. But it kept improving the more miles I put on it. After 8000 miles I was getting around 48-50 mpg regularly. And that was considered really good for that bike.

I always use the A trip meter to tell me when it's time to get gas and don't go by the gauge. For what I have read on the AK 550 I would expect somewhat over 50 mpg and likely near that 52-54 mpg mark if you ride conservatively. Lower if you ride aggressively (48-50). During the warm summer months I often get 58-62 mpg on my Burgman 650. A bigger engine but the same size tank. My last long trip included some Interstate speeds and I still was able to go as far as 209 miles before I could stop to fill up. I ended up putting in 3.59 gallons in that time. I don't usually go that far but knew that I could based on my experience with the bike and how it was running. I would expect to do AT LEAST as well on the AK 550 when I get one.
/bob
2022 Kymco AK 550 Super Touring Extreme in Matte Deep Blue
RETIRED - US Navy and Air National Guard and civilian career

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2021, 12:44:17 AM »
Are you entirety certain you are filling the tank?
Tricky here, because it is not a good idea to run some scooters dry....trying to find the limits of your reserve.
I've had a quality scooter that came with a fairly wacky fuel gauge. Showed full for miles then dropped like a stone.
My guess is nothing wrong with your scooter -- except the guy gassing it and / or the gauge needs some more experience ?
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

rjs987

• Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2021, 01:29:57 AM »
Precisely why my first recommendation is to go ahead and fill the tank to find out how much is needed to fill it.
As Stig stated do make sure you actually fill the tank.

I do not recommend running it dry just to find out how far it will go. The only reason I did go so many miles, and have once or twice before, it because I have learned my scooter and what it is capable of doing for mileage. I also learned what the gauge is actually telling me but still rely on the miles traveled and know how it is running to be able to go any distance. That takes time and experience with it.
/bob

jermwars

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2021, 11:33:42 PM »
I've read in many places, including journalists reviews, that the gas gauge on the AK goes down VERY VERY rapidly. If your gauge is flashing then the best thing to do is go ahead and fill up just to find out how much you actually put in. And then use that information to adjust how far you can go on a tank. All USA AK 550s should have a 3.9 gallon tank. If you put in 2.5 gallons you are getting about 54 mpg and you should be then able to go over 200 miles on a tank, but only if you intend to run it dry. If you put in more than that you are getting less mpg than that. Either way how much gas you put in to fill the tank will tell you what your mpg is. All new scooters/bikes will improve mpg over the first several hundred, if not first several thousand, miles. My last brand new bike was a CTX1300 and for the first 1500 miles I was averaging only 40-42 mpg. But it kept improving the more miles I put on it. After 8000 miles I was getting around 48-50 mpg regularly. And that was considered really good for that bike.

I always use the A trip meter to tell me when it's time to get gas and don't go by the gauge. For what I have read on the AK 550 I would expect somewhat over 50 mpg and likely near that 52-54 mpg mark if you ride conservatively. Lower if you ride aggressively (48-50). During the warm summer months I often get 58-62 mpg on my Burgman 650. A bigger engine but the same size tank. My last long trip included some Interstate speeds and I still was able to go as far as 209 miles before I could stop to fill up. I ended up putting in 3.59 gallons in that time. I don't usually go that far but knew that I could based on my experience with the bike and how it was running. I would expect to do AT LEAST as well on the AK 550 when I get one.

Tested it out just as advised...even filled it up at the same spot to be sure

Both times it worked out to be getting well over 50. Right where you said it should.

I think maybe i didnt have it filled all the way the first time like Stig was thinking. That or i reset the mileage while i was fiddling around with all the neat new buttons and switches on the new toy :D :P

What you read about the gauge seems to be the case for me too...Stays on full for about the first gallon and then the bars drop off really fast...and from what i can tell, theres about a gallon left when the red bar starts blinking. Especially if you turn the bike on while its on the kick stand and not straight up

SO!! One gallon for the first bar, one gallon for the last bar, and a little under two gallons as the lions share of the gauge. I guess that makes sense

22' KymCo AK550
07' Yamaha Majesty YP400

jermwars

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2021, 02:32:41 AM »
Are you entirety certain you are filling the tank?
Tricky here, because it is not a good idea to run some scooters dry....trying to find the limits of your reserve.
I've had a quality scooter that came with a fairly wacky fuel gauge. Showed full for miles then dropped like a stone.
My guess is nothing wrong with your scooter -- except the guy gassing it and / or the gauge needs some more experience ?
Stig

I kinda think i might have been being too cautious the first time i filled it and had the nozzle too deep in the tank so it shut off prematurely. Not even close to full. Good call. That would explain my 35mpg for the first fill. Im confident now that im getting right about what i should at around 53.

And this fuel gauge is the same. Goes 50 miles for the first bar then half as much for the next 3. Thats ok...I loved my suzuki gs750l (79) and it didnt even have a gas gauge. I never missed having one. Sure miss that bike though...
22' KymCo AK550
07' Yamaha Majesty YP400

rjs987

• Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2021, 04:55:42 PM »
Tested it out just as advised...even filled it up at the same spot to be sure

Both times it worked out to be getting well over 50. Right where you said it should.

I think maybe i didnt have it filled all the way the first time like Stig was thinking. That or i reset the mileage while i was fiddling around with all the neat new buttons and switches on the new toy :D :P

What you read about the gauge seems to be the case for me too...Stays on full for about the first gallon and then the bars drop off really fast...and from what i can tell, theres about a gallon left when the red bar starts blinking. Especially if you turn the bike on while its on the kick stand and not straight up

SO!! One gallon for the first bar, one gallon for the last bar, and a little under two gallons as the lions share of the gauge. I guess that makes sense

I found the gas gauge on my Burgman 650 is almost the very same... at least for that last bar. 5 bars in the gauge. When the last bar is left it stay solid (not flashing yet) but the tank symbol above the gauge starts to flash. That indicates about a gallon is left. Then the last bar starts flashing along with the tank symbol to indicate about a half gallon. The 4 previous bars all differ a little with how much is burned before they drop off but they are all relatively close. First might be after 4/5 gal, then the second goes after another 2/3 gal, then the third is gone with another 4/5 gal leaving about a gallon remaining for that last bar. Verified by my own tracking miles and gallons put into the tank at each fillup.

So it sounds like the AK gas gauge may not be so different than on many other bikes, other than the first 4 bars. At least not as bad as some have implied.
/bob

jermwars

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2021, 05:47:07 PM »
I found the gas gauge on my Burgman 650 is almost the very same... at least for that last bar. 5 bars in the gauge. When the last bar is left it stay solid (not flashing yet) but the tank symbol above the gauge starts to flash. That indicates about a gallon is left. Then the last bar starts flashing along with the tank symbol to indicate about a half gallon. The 4 previous bars all differ a little with how much is burned before they drop off but they are all relatively close. First might be after 4/5 gal, then the second goes after another 2/3 gal, then the third is gone with another 4/5 gal leaving about a gallon remaining for that last bar. Verified by my own tracking miles and gallons put into the tank at each fillup.

So it sounds like the AK gas gauge may not be so different than on many other bikes, other than the first 4 bars. At least not as bad as some have implied.

My other bike is a yamaha majesty yp400 and its kinda the same story there except not as extreme...3.7 gallon tank and the last bar starts blinking when it has .7 gallons left...BUT!!

At the same time it starts blinking, it starts a special "F" trip distance so you can pretty much tell exactly what you have left. Then the "F" trip resets itself when you fill up...really good system
22' KymCo AK550
07' Yamaha Majesty YP400

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2021, 12:13:34 AM »
Keep in mind, too, that Kymco maxi's anyway, do not reach their peak(broken in) until about 5 to 7000 miles.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2021, 03:35:39 PM »
Keep in mind, too, that Kymco maxi's anyway, do not reach their peak(broken in) until about 5 to 7000 miles.

I'd endorse that.  My X-Town at 5K miles is still loosening up!  Hoping to see an improvement in the mpg when I get the binding rear brake fixed by a replacement caliper - offered under warranty!
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

rjs987

• Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2021, 09:24:05 PM »
I will also add in here that my CTX1300, the last bike I bought new, didn't reach peak mpg until close to 8000 miles along. I was initially wondering about it the first few hundred miles on the odometer and was concerned that I wasn't seeing as good mpg as I was expecting. But it just kept getting better and better leveling off by 8000 miles.
/bob

cerberus

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2021, 01:57:04 PM »
My new AK550 starts blinking at about 120 miles. Takes 2.5 gal. to fill it. Seems about right.

NomadCF

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2021, 09:43:05 PM »
I ignore my gas gauge, its as bad as the speedo and the dash illumination sensor. I have a dashboard cover screen and I'm tempted to actually blackout those parts along with the bottom part of the mode indicator lights.

As we all have with every other bike. I go by my mileage and my riding style during that tank full. I'm fill up at about 180 to 190 on a normal tank and around 140 on a heavy throttle tank with about 3 gal.

Ball Four

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2021, 12:02:07 AM »
Precisely why my first recommendation is to go ahead and fill the tank to find out how much is needed to fill it.
As Stig stated do make sure you actually fill the tank.

I do not recommend running it dry just to find out how far it will go. The only reason I did go so many miles, and have once or twice before, it because I have learned my scooter and what it is capable of doing for mileage. I also learned what the gauge is actually telling me but still rely on the miles traveled and know how it is running to be able to go any distance. That takes time and experience with it.

I know I'm late chiming in here...

I'm a conservative rider and watch my miles after a fill up. This past Saturday, I was coming up on 135 miles and still had 2 bars showing. It's a new bike and far from being broken in. So, I'm very happy with my mpg and potential range for the riding I do. Next year, a longer trip on my bucket list, the range may fall short somewhat. But, for me anyway, the 550's many advantages far outweigh a few extra gas stops.

Ride safe everyone.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2021, 12:14:30 AM by Ball Four »

Clampett

• Uncle Jed
    • View Profile
    • My Maps
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2021, 01:25:58 AM »
My dealer didn't fill mine up. It showed 1 bar short of full when I left the shop. After it dropped the 2nd bar (60 miles on 2nd bar) it took 1.9 gallons to fill it to the top. Other bikes always have those tube sticking down from the filler port.
My question is, how full do you fill it? Do you put the nozzle full in and call it full when it cuts off? Or do you fill it to the top as I just described?

Anyhoo, I gotta get out and put some miles on this tank to see how it does for my riding style.

I'm kinda AR about knowing how much fuel is used at each bar drop, so I'll be trying to figure that out too. No, it doesn't matter. It's just one of my quirks.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()