Author Topic: 50cc Scooters  (Read 1320 times)

Togger

• View Profile
50cc Scooters
« on: October 03, 2021, 03:03:46 AM »
Aren't these pretty much pointless in a country like Canada or the US. Why do people buy them, and if they do, do they keep them very long?

rjs987

• 2022 Kymco AK 550 - Matte Deep Blue
  • Central Iowa
    • View Profile
Re: 50cc Scooters
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2021, 03:32:50 AM »
That size scooter is still a good idea for many in the USA who don't want to go through getting a license for them. Though I still highly advise some training should be done.
They are very good for just riding around neighborhoods and running out to the store. My wife has had her Honda Metropolitan since 2004 and still rides it all over the metro area. She has become very good at finding the local neighborhood streets to ride so she can avoid any fast roads and highways. And that thing runs like a tank. She has gone to almost every suburb community on it up to 15 miles away at least. So there are still areas where these are good to ride... especially in larger metropolitan cities.

Since I have a Super Scooter (Burgman 650) I do take the highways to get to many of the same places and beyond but she simply stays off any roads faster than 35-40 mph. That little 50 cc scooter can get up to 38 mph on a good day. I tried several times to convince her to upgrade to something even a little bigger but she is happy with what she has and refuses to upgrade. 104 mpg is not a bad number.
/bob
2022 Kymco AK 550 Super Touring Extreme in Matte Deep Blue
RETIRED - US Navy and Air National Guard and civilian career

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2021, 04:50:26 AM »
50cc seems to be the most popular size for college students to ride here in Iowa City at the University of Iowa. Cheap to buy and operate, easy (and free) parking. It seems most do sell them as they graduate but they find homes with the incoming freshmen.

As long as they live relatively close to campus there are no roads with speeds high enough to keep them from riding on them.
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2021, 09:32:45 AM »
@Togger,
here in Italy and in most of european states a 50cc is the starting vehicle for our youth. Since here you get your drivers license for  a motorcycle or a car from 18 years on. Some exceptions are possible.
So, from 16 to 18 years you are just mobile with a 50cc mofa after a simple multiple choice test.

Although we do have a lot of people who lost their drivers licence after an issue of DWI. That one are the dangerous, buying this minicars with mofa plates, carrying on drinking and driving.
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

Like50

• Finland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2021, 12:33:26 PM »
For me, free parking, fastest when driving downtown, and cheap to use except insurance. Driving season between 8-10 months in here quite north.
Fourth year now in a row, no reason to quit.
Seeking used Kymco moped scooter

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2021, 12:38:17 PM »
In a lot of places Kansas being one of you don't need a motorcycle licence  and you can tag them as a moped.  Anything larger is tagged as a motorcycle.  Not sure but I don't believe insurance is required as well.  Some of the other states don't require registration or tags. 

Like  Ihawk stated they are popular for college towns.  And as Ruffus stated people with a DWI who lose their driver license for awhile purchase them for transportation.  And as. RJS stated a lot of women like the smaller size and. Lighter weight.

My local motorcycle dealer only carries the 50cc and 125cc agility series because they sell and bigger scooter's  take longer to sell.

While most of my friend's have a motorcycle license some do not.  For this reason I will probably purchase a 50cc that I will probably  never ride for them to learn on and use when visiting .

Resell is also very good  for clean machine's,  people looking for low cost transportation.
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2021, 11:08:10 PM »
Probably fine for Village Life or Campus Life.  Or in a large mobile home park.
NOT a good idea in most N. American cities.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2021, 11:32:26 PM »
I forgot to mention that along with college students the 14 and 15 year olds also like the 50cc scooters. In the state of Iowa you can legally ride a 49cc and under moped with a driver's permit. Driver's permits are available at age 14..full driver's license available at 16 years old...although I like Ruffus's location where you must be 18 before getting a full driver's license!

You can spot a 14 or 15 yr old scooter rider by the hi viz orange flag that by law must be affixed to the back of their scooter. It should be attached to a flexible pole on the scooter and is supposed to be a few feet higher (can't remember the exact dimensions) than the scooter...making them a bit more visible to traffic.

There is a middle aged woman at my local neighborhood hardware store who rides an early 80's Yamaha QT50 Yamahopper moped. I always ask her about it when I'm in the store. She said she lives close by and the little scooter is perfect to get her to work and home. It looks just like the one in the pic.
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2021, 01:36:23 AM »
Iahawk there's a older gentleman that works at Ace hardware that drives a early Honda scooter to work in nice weather.

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2021, 02:55:47 AM »
A 50cc scooter would be pretty useless for me since shortly after leaving my subdivision I will be on a 50MPH or 55MPH road.  But I could see them being useful in some places.  When I was in Alaska a few years ago I had a chance to ride a rental Ruckus and I had a blast on it.  The roads we were on all had 25MPH or less speed limits.  The rental company chose 50cc since no motorcycle endorsement was required.

I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2021, 08:47:58 AM »
I don't have sales numbers but would be willing to bet the 50cc scooter is the largest seller because of lack of motorcycle licence endorsement.

I would agree with Klav that it wouldn't be my choice. That said I will probably keep a 50cc around for people to learn to ride on.

Klav one of my dream trips is to head to Alaska with the RV and scooter.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2021, 09:34:28 AM by Kansas kymco »

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2021, 09:11:03 AM »

@Kk, don't wait just do it.

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2021, 12:54:43 AM »

@Kk, don't wait just do it.
They just opened the border this Fall.  Can't see it happening next year. I have to line up contractor's to clear some land bring in a 2' of fill and get a building built. 

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2021, 09:00:36 AM »
@Kk, tweak out some time and fundings, we are working for our heirs only.

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2021, 09:30:51 AM »
@Kk, tweak out some time and fundings, we are working for our heirs only.
Ruffus a good friend said something similar yesterday,  he told me it's time to enjoy what you put in all the long hours and scrimp and saved for.

I told him it's hard for me to spend money on depreciating assets.  Example my used scooter collection was bought at the right price that I can use, enjoy and get my money  back.  I've done the same with RV'S purchasing used and using for 5 years and selling them for close to what I paid originally.

Being frugal has allowed me to enjoy a lot of things in life. I make it a practice to never spend more then the interest on my investments not touching the principle. 

I did splurge a few years ago and bought a new boat.

I will make plans with some friends to make that trip next year. Damn the torpedoes,  full speed ahead.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()