Author Topic: X-Town 125 throwing code 0217 and not starting  (Read 503 times)

Macabry

• View Profile
X-Town 125 throwing code 0217 and not starting
« on: October 04, 2021, 07:29:44 PM »
 Firstly I'd like to say a big howdy to all of you,  thanks for this great resource👍

So ... onto my problem 🙃

My very comfortable and otherwise brilliant 2018 X- town 125cc has been playing up for a few months. The first sign of an issue was that the bike failed to start after my routine trip to work. I had a recovery vehicle out and they tested the codes and she was throwing up 0217 as an obd code. I got her home, cleared the codes on my reader and tried to start it again and got it to start temp rose to flashing hot... she threw the code again but continued to run and restart once warmed. Idles and revs well
Measures taken:
- pulled the plug and its clean
- checked coolant and its clean and full
- compression is also good

I couldn't understand the code being the issue as she seems to run cool (if she starts) and i wasn't driving her hard. I serviced it, replaced all fluids/oil, nothing to note doing that.

Found that i could only start her at random even though she'll fire first rev but not catch. After this i bought a new coolant temp sensor and on installing it she started and ran perfectly.  Went for a ride, all good. Put her away then the next day she started but threw 0217 code again  !!!

I cannot get to the bottom of this, I don't feel she's overheating as she'll throw the code after 30 seconds from cold starting. She's running smoothly if she starts, no smoke either. Even if she was over temperature I don't get how the 0217 issue is affecting the starting ???

Has anyone got an idea as to what my issue is?

This bike is my main commuter vehicle and it's driving me mad.

Incidentally,  I'm fairly handy with old bikes and cars but modern stuff is new to me.

Thanks folks,
Shane

Ruffus

• View Profile
Re: X-Town 125 throwing code 0217 and not starting
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2021, 08:08:33 PM »
@Shane welcome here,
I'm not an  X-town spec, got only some ideas.
-did you check coolant fill at the radiator or expansion canister?
-could it be the code is not deleted yet and shows up again and again?
-EFI, right? maybe a fuel line / fuelpump issue?
Do you have any KYMCO dealer close to you with a diagostic tool?
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2021, 08:22:40 PM »
To clarify : it is now running fine - just throwing codes?

StiG
(PS: welcome to the farm :)
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Macabry

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2021, 09:56:31 PM »
Thanks for the responses...

To clarify:
I've got an OBD 2 reader and I can read and clear the codes ...it just comes back sooner or later

The coolant was checked in both radiator and exp.Tank

No Kymco dealers within 90 miles 😭

She is not starting at the moment,  did start yesterday,  not today ... when she starts (if she starts) she runs perfectly

I have had suspicion about fueling, but she manages to flood if she doesnt start so I'm doubtful ... I'd expect at least the odd misfire but she doesnt... no fueling codes either.

I even checked with a different coil and that didn't change anything ...

Being "old school" I am perfectly happy with carbs and fuel and coils mechanicals but this thing is really bugging me ... the code seems random and as I said before, I don't see that it would effect starting. Perhaps the sensor has input into fueling ratio ??? But even then, I'd expect it to be too lean (if the sensor is reading hot) and eventually when she floods she'd start ... but that doesn't happen. If she starts she starts straight away or not at all.

It feels like an electrical gremlin rather than a solid fault ... I've been through the sensor/loom wiring and I can't see an issue... I hate chasing earthing problems  :-[

Basically, she's a very well maintained, very clean and expensive paperweight at this stage  :o

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2021, 10:45:07 AM »
Having thrashed through the simple (compared to a car) EFI that Kymco uses I, personally think the EFI system is easier to deal with than a carb. There are some limits though.

However, concerning your problem, you have what appears to be an intermittent cause. This machine would overheat every time if it were a cooling system problem like low coolent level in the engine (not in the overflow jug). So here is what the cause MAY be:
1. Faulty temp sensor on engine.
2. Faulty wiring/connection at sensor (most likely).
3. Faulty power to sensor circuit (next likely).
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Macabry

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2021, 02:46:57 PM »
Thanks,  I think you're right about the sensor circuit or sensor wiring ... I'm pretty sure there sensor is good as it's been replaced. Obviously it could still be the issue but unlikely.

I'll have to chase the wiring again ... yay 😃

My biggest concern is the non starting ... i still don't get how the sensor/0217 code could effect that ???

I've decided that I'll probably sell her once I get this problem sorted as I need a bike with better mechanical access ... reliability is one thing but I'd rather an unreliable bike with easy access than a reliable one with soooo many panels to remove  👍

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2021, 12:22:40 AM »
Thanks,  I think you're right about the sensor circuit or sensor wiring ... I'm pretty sure there sensor is good as it's been replaced. Obviously it could still be the issue but unlikely.

I'll have to chase the wiring again ... yay 😃

My biggest concern is the non starting ... i still don't get how the sensor/0217 code could effect that ???

I've decided that I'll probably sell her once I get this problem sorted as I need a bike with better mechanical access ... reliability is one thing but I'd rather an unreliable bike with easy access than a reliable one with soooo many panels to remove  👍
The places that are likely to be the source of this problem are fairly easy to access once you have done it a couple of times. Actually, the Kymcos are generally very reliable but can be a royal pain when things go sideways because the service information is sketchy and wrong half the time.

This code you are getting, is it read with a car type OBDII reader? What is the check engine light doing when this code pops up?
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2021, 09:29:21 AM »
@Shane, it's a far shot BUT...
I had a couple of weeks ago at a LIKE 200i a similar issue.
Scoot started once, then after shutting down NO start at all.
Searched around relais and suspected all kind of other stuff, BUT it came out the ground cable which leads from a certain frame point close to the starter motor and is fixed with a big cableshoe to the LIKEs motor housing, was partially corroded off.
After pulling on it, it broke off completely and I had the source of this issue in my hand.
Remedy was to open this cableshoe and crimp in this ground cable again. Like I wrote, a far shot, but maybe worth to look after.

(Pls see link below)
https://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=31637.msg221509#msg221509
« Last Edit: October 06, 2021, 10:47:12 AM by Ruffus »
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()