Author Topic: 2022 AK550 Brakes...WOAH!!  (Read 492 times)

jermwars

• View Profile
2022 AK550 Brakes...WOAH!!
« on: October 04, 2021, 07:49:10 PM »
The headlights on the AK550 cast a pretty low cut beam (on low beam) so I cant really see that far ahead.

Dipped into what I THOUGHT was a suicide lane at about 50mph that ended up being a turn lane with an island...whose curb was suddenly RIGHT IN FRONT OF me and getting closer really fast.

Only had the bike for about 500 miles so i havent really practiced with the brakes. Didnt matter.

The thing went from 50 to 0 in what seemed like about 20 feet...Ended up about an inch from the curb.

It didnt lock or slide or break contact in the slightest.

Stopped like a bullet in a block of ballistics gel.

I had no idea a bike could stick like that.

also - this scared the PISS outta me. I was shaken and giggly for a good 20 minutes :D
22' KymCo AK550
07' Yamaha Majesty YP400

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: 2022 AK550 Brakes...WOAH!!
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2021, 08:25:23 PM »
The headlights on the AK550 cast a pretty low cut beam (on low beam) so I cant really see that far ahead.

Dipped into what I THOUGHT was a suicide lane at about 50mph that ended up being a turn lane with an island...whose curb was suddenly RIGHT IN FRONT OF me and getting closer really fast.

Only had the bike for about 500 miles so i havent really practiced with the brakes. Didnt matter.

The thing went from 50 to 0 in what seemed like about 20 feet...Ended up about an inch from the curb.

It didnt lock or slide or break contact in the slightest.

Stopped like a bullet in a block of ballistics gel.

I had no idea a bike could stick like that.

also - this scared the PISS outta me. I was shaken and giggly for a good 20 minutes :D

ABS might have been at work down there....?
Advise - slow down on unfamiliar roads at night. We've a one legged member who can explain why it's a good idea.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

jermwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2021, 09:30:31 PM »
ABS might have been at work down there....?
Advise - slow down on unfamiliar roads at night. We've a one legged member who can explain why it's a good idea.

Stig

Damn fine advice. I appreciate it and will do exactly that.

Texas is pretty liberal with its speed limits...this road in my tale is 65mph split lane highway running right through some pretty urban areas which is common here. It would probably be about a 45 or 50 in most states. I was floored when i first got here!! Especially on the tollways with an 85mph speed limit. People doing 100+.

Maybe ive just gotten old, but stuff happens REALLY quick at those speeds.

And as to the ABS...i dont think it ever even got to that point! the brakes never locked and the tires never let go...just stuck like a roadrunner hitting a well placed puddle of ACME glue

Thank goodness the road conditions were optimal...Coulda been a much different story
22' KymCo AK550
07' Yamaha Majesty YP400

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2021, 09:46:07 PM »
...no gravel..no sand...no grass clippings...prayers of gratitude....been there...done that....

Lights on these things notoriously suck. Been avoiding LED because beams are like flood lights since designed for string filaments and not blocks. However, none of the rednecks around here seem to worry about glaring lights.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

jermwars

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2021, 11:22:38 PM »
...no gravel..no sand...no grass clippings...prayers of gratitude....been there...done that....

Lights on these things notoriously suck. Been avoiding LED because beams are like flood lights since designed for string filaments and not blocks. However, none of the rednecks around here seem to worry about glaring lights.

Ya, folks are just going to have to bear with me and my high beams because i just gotta be able to see further than 30 feet.

I like the LEDs, but it seems like the setup is more designed toward not affecting other motorists more than maximum illumination
22' KymCo AK550
07' Yamaha Majesty YP400

rjs987

• 2022 Kymco AK 550 - Matte Deep Blue
  • Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2021, 12:17:10 AM »
Very good to know about the brakes.

I looked up in the service manual I have (a pdf file I downloaded) and there is an aim adjustment. 2 silver screws between the headlights on the back side of them. Don't know if those do any more than side to side aiming and haven't found anything on up/down aiming... yet.

I had LED headlights on my CTX1300. Absolutely the BEST lights of any bike I've been on other than aftermarket driving lights, which were also LED. There is a HUGE difference in quality of lighting between headlights designed from the ground up to be LED vs headlights that come from the factory with incandescent bulbs by design but that you replace with LED replacement bulbs. NO COMPARISON!!! Headlight systems that are designed FOR LED are way better than those thin wire lamps. The reflectors are intended to be used with LED and not incandescent bulbs so that is what makes all the difference in the world.

BTW- I had added a pair of pencil beam LED driving lights to my CTX that had 20 W 10 deg beams on each. Doubled the night lighting range down the road. Definitely not flood lights. But also not good for oncoming traffic even though they were aimed below the hood of any other car/SUV.
/bob
2022 Kymco AK 550 Super Touring Extreme in Matte Deep Blue
RETIRED - US Navy and Air National Guard and civilian career

jermwars

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2021, 01:31:01 AM »

I looked up in the service manual I have (a pdf file I downloaded) and there is an aim adjustment. 2 silver screws between the headlights on the back side of them. Don't know if those do any more than side to side aiming and haven't found anything on up/down aiming... yet.

I had LED headlights on my CTX1300. Absolutely the BEST lights of any bike I've been on other than aftermarket driving lights, which were also LED. There is a HUGE difference in quality of lighting between headlights designed from the ground up to be LED vs headlights that come from the factory with incandescent bulbs by design but that you replace with LED replacement bulbs. NO COMPARISON!!! Headlight systems that are designed FOR LED are way better than those thin wire lamps. The reflectors are intended to be used with LED and not incandescent bulbs so that is what makes all the difference in the world.

BTW- I had added a pair of pencil beam LED driving lights to my CTX that had 20 W 10 deg beams on each. Doubled the night lighting range down the road. Definitely not flood lights. But also not good for oncoming traffic even though they were aimed below the hood of any other car/SUV.

Agreed fully...and thanks much for the info!!

I replaced the HID bulbs on my yp400 with aftermarket LED and the problem was exactly what you said...just not designed for the reflectors and i was peeling off peoples retinas. Got flashed constantly and ended up swapping them back to HIDs to be a good citizen.

I could see really well though. Really well.
22' KymCo AK550
07' Yamaha Majesty YP400

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2021, 10:28:10 AM »

Yes, some figured this out when experimenting with LED replacements. Meaning the reflectors and lenses were not a match for the different structure of LED's. May be some LED's today are a little different....
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2021, 01:37:53 PM »
You should have adjusted the lights before riding at Nite!

jermwars

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2021, 08:15:17 PM »
You should have adjusted the lights before riding at Nite!

That would make the most sense!! :D

22' KymCo AK550
07' Yamaha Majesty YP400

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()