Author Topic: AK 550 Drive Belt  (Read 3406 times)

jermwars

• View Profile
AK 550 Drive Belt
« on: October 05, 2021, 07:02:07 PM »
Thinking ahead to the day i need to replace the drive belt on my new AK550 and im not seeing very many options to buy!

Anyone tracked down a good deal on them yet?
22' KymCo AK550
07' Yamaha Majesty YP400

jermwars

• View Profile
Re: AK 550 Drive Belt
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2021, 09:32:34 PM »
Also...im having trouble making a distinction between the CVT belt and the rear wheel drive belt in my searches...And in the manual.

The manual mentions a:

"Drive Belt"
and
"Timing Belt (Drive Belt)"

Im not sure which is which.

22' KymCo AK550
07' Yamaha Majesty YP400

rjs987

• 2022 Kymco AK 550 - Matte Deep Blue
  • Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2021, 10:18:12 PM »
It is rather confusing. Kymco really should have called the two belts something totally different to make it easy to tell them apart.

This is the only site I've found that has a parts listing for the AK 550.
https://www.bike-parts-kymco.uk/kymco-motorcycle/550-SCOOTER/AK
It says this is for the Euro 4 version but I don't think there is much, if any, difference with what we have in the USA.
Looking on the parts breakout I see that the final drive belt is part number 40530-LGC6-E00 and is called "Timing Belt" in the parts list. The CVT belt is part number 23100-LGC6-E00 and is called "Belt Drive" in the parts list. So I would guess that should answer the question about which belt is which.

Having the official OEM part number should help in finding the right belts. Another way to tell them apart when looking at aftermarket sources is to look at the outer and inner surfaces of the belts. The CVT belt will have teeth on both sides, though much smaller teeth usually on the outer side. The final drive belt will be smooth on the outer side and only have teeth on the inner surface of the belt.
/bob
2022 Kymco AK 550 Super Touring Extreme in Matte Deep Blue
RETIRED - US Navy and Air National Guard and civilian career

jermwars

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2021, 11:18:23 PM »
It is rather confusing. Kymco really should have called the two belts something totally different to make it easy to tell them apart.

This is the only site I've found that has a parts listing for the AK 550.
https://www.bike-parts-kymco.uk/kymco-motorcycle/550-SCOOTER/AK
It says this is for the Euro 4 version but I don't think there is much, if any, difference with what we have in the USA.
Looking on the parts breakout I see that the final drive belt is part number 40530-LGC6-E00 and is called "Timing Belt" in the parts list. The CVT belt is part number 23100-LGC6-E00 and is called "Belt Drive" in the parts list. So I would guess that should answer the question about which belt is which.

Having the official OEM part number should help in finding the right belts. Another way to tell them apart when looking at aftermarket sources is to look at the outer and inner surfaces of the belts. The CVT belt will have teeth on both sides, though much smaller teeth usually on the outer side. The final drive belt will be smooth on the outer side and only have teeth on the inner surface of the belt.

EXCELLENT!! Thankeesir!!

Looks like the final drive belt is the more expensive one (many times more) but it doesnt show ever needing to be replaced as far as scheduled maintenance...just routinely inspected

The CVT belt shows as being replaced every 12,000 miles which is the same as my yamaha so that makes sense.

I didnt realize belt drives lasted so long (100,000 miles)!!! Thats a hell of a piece of rubber! And not a hell of a lot of maintenance from what i can tell. 

Thanks again bromigo
« Last Edit: October 05, 2021, 11:22:39 PM by jermwars »
22' KymCo AK550
07' Yamaha Majesty YP400

rjs987

• Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2021, 01:54:34 AM »
That's why Harley seems to like belt drives I guess.
Though I really don't like the service manual version of checking tension. I haven't found any other specific instructions for checking tension the way it is done on a Harley though I did read of one AK 550 owner who sounds like that's what they do.

Kymco says to use a sonic device to check tension. I looked up that tool on Amazon and it costs over $800!!!
What I would rather do is use a force gauge like done on a Harley. A tool that might cost around $20-40 on Amazon. It has an end that you put on the belt half way between the end sprockets the belt goes around. When you press on the tool against the belt you measure how much the belt is deflected with 10 lbs of force as measured on the tool. If it deflects too much then tighten the tension, if too little then loosen the tension. The problem is that there is no specification for how much force (10 lbs is for the Harley final drive belts) or how much deflection (varies by the distance between the sprockets and the specific belt being checked). This other owner stated that they took their force tool and checked the belt tension right away after they bought it to get a benchmark. I think I'll have to do that when I buy mine. It's something that will have to be done every time you replace the rear tire... unless you let a Kymco dealer do it.
/bob

jermwars

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2021, 02:15:54 AM »
That's why Harley seems to like belt drives I guess.
Though I really don't like the service manual version of checking tension. I haven't found any other specific instructions for checking tension the way it is done on a Harley though I did read of one AK 550 owner who sounds like that's what they do.

Kymco says to use a sonic device to check tension. I looked up that tool on Amazon and it costs over $800!!!
What I would rather do is use a force gauge like done on a Harley. A tool that might cost around $20-40 on Amazon. It has an end that you put on the belt half way between the end sprockets the belt goes around. When you press on the tool against the belt you measure how much the belt is deflected with 10 lbs of force as measured on the tool. If it deflects too much then tighten the tension, if too little then loosen the tension. The problem is that there is no specification for how much force (10 lbs is for the Harley final drive belts) or how much deflection (varies by the distance between the sprockets and the specific belt being checked). This other owner stated that they took their force tool and checked the belt tension right away after they bought it to get a benchmark. I think I'll have to do that when I buy mine. It's something that will have to be done every time you replace the rear tire... unless you let a Kymco dealer do it.

Thats a bummer about that $800 tool...I was expecting to have to get the $40 one and check it via the process you described...10lbs was the spec I had in my head, but im sure thats what was in the video i watched and it was pertaining to a Harley like you mentioned. Now im hoping thats a universal spec for drive belts in general but that would probably just make things too easy.

Great idea about using the initial tension as a benchmark except im getting some howling from the belt (i think from the belt) on takeoff and ive read thats indicative of an overly tight belt.

Im taking it to the dealer and dropping it off so hopefully they'll be able (willing) to alleviate some of my concerns and answer my annoying questions
22' KymCo AK550
07' Yamaha Majesty YP400

rjs987

• Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2021, 04:09:37 AM »
Good idea to take it in to the shop if you suspect the belt is too tight. Then you can check it yourself with the force tool to get a benchmark right after it is set to spec.
/bob

jermwars

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2021, 04:34:00 AM »
Good idea to take it in to the shop if you suspect the belt is too tight. Then you can check it yourself with the force tool to get a benchmark right after it is set to spec.

It would be nice if the Gates Unitta U-507c is close enough...Found one of those on ebay for like $80

I can handle $80.
22' KymCo AK550
07' Yamaha Majesty YP400

NomadCF

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2021, 09:00:47 AM »
Just an FYI, if you don't like the drive belt setup. There is an aftermarket chain drive replacement setup.

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2021, 05:01:04 PM »
Do ya have a link for that?

Just an FYI, if you don't like the drive belt setup. There is an aftermarket chain drive replacement setup.
2008 SYM HD200 "Niwanibiz"
2018 Suzuki Burgman AN650z "Bebaamaadizid"

k9 S200 (Blue) "Max" (Sold)
k8 SYM HD200 "Indigo" (Deceased)
k7 Suzuki Burgman 650 "Ohanzee" (Sold)

jermwars

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2021, 05:25:26 PM »
22' KymCo AK550
07' Yamaha Majesty YP400

jermwars

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2021, 05:30:44 PM »

Thats pretty cool!

Theres even a FB page

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1740801012679358.1073741844.984359471656853&type=3
22' KymCo AK550
07' Yamaha Majesty YP400

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2021, 11:54:22 PM »
2008 SYM HD200 "Niwanibiz"
2018 Suzuki Burgman AN650z "Bebaamaadizid"

k9 S200 (Blue) "Max" (Sold)
k8 SYM HD200 "Indigo" (Deceased)
k7 Suzuki Burgman 650 "Ohanzee" (Sold)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2021, 10:51:05 AM »
People dump bikes for scooters because they're tired of fooling with chains. Why would anyone want to remove the belt for a chain?!
Or, is the important thing is that it's a 'MOD' --- even if you've gained nothing....because Kymco doesn't know as much as the modders do?
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2021, 11:08:57 AM »
@Stig, my words...😂👍
open mufflers/sidepipes, cleaned out air systems, jets changed to max, seating position like in a recliner, NO gain of any performance but sounds and looks cool...
Been an industrial/developement engineer for more than four decadesI and rarely saw an improvement in this "homemade" tuning.
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()