Author Topic: OFFICIALLY...  (Read 792 times)

jermwars

• View Profile
OFFICIALLY...
« on: October 06, 2021, 04:50:55 PM »
Is Taiwan its own country?

Taiwan, officially the Republic of China (ROC), is a country in East Asia.

So, i guess, officially...our bikes are Chinese.

Dont know why that should matter...but it does :/
22' KymCo AK550
07' Yamaha Majesty YP400

rjs987

• 2022 Kymco AK 550 - Matte Deep Blue
  • Central Iowa
    • View Profile
Re: OFFICIALLY...
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2021, 06:22:40 PM »
I seem to recall reading that Kymco headquarters prefers to distinguish themselves apart from China. They started out as a division within Honda and then became their own company in 1964 with Honda's technical knowledge. Honda still maintained a business interest in Kymco while Kymco continued to be an overseas maker of parts for Honda. Then they expanded to making parts for other makers. Some years later they started making their own complete scooters but branded by other manufacturers. They still made smaller scooters until just recently for Kawasaki and some for Yamaha, I think, that are simply rebadged for those companies. Like many native Taiwanese people I still consider them separate from China even though China claims them as a territory.

So perhaps Chinese by political association. But Taiwanese in all other ways. There is a difference between them and others who have their headquarters and primary manufacturing in China.
/bob
2022 Kymco AK 550 Super Touring Extreme in Matte Deep Blue
RETIRED - US Navy and Air National Guard and civilian career

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2021, 10:18:11 PM »
Is Taiwan its own country?

Taiwan, officially the Republic of China (ROC), is a country in East Asia.

So, i guess, officially...our bikes are Chinese.

Dont know why that should matter...but it does :/
Big difference in quality. Taiwan is a touchy subject for China.  Taiwan wants it's independence and China threatens them with military action and take over.  Remember the broken promises from China on Hong Kong?
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2021, 01:21:34 AM »
Taiwan is a island nation west of China. Chiang-kai-shek fled communism to Formosa to set up a republic. It IS a separate country that China wants to control. Just like they want to control the US. Some Kymco models are made in china and some parts are made there as well. But the quality standard of Kymco is superior to most china bikes.

Taiwan's future is bleak under the present administration in the US....
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2021, 08:58:51 AM »
Remember the broken promises from China on Hong Kong?

Oh yes!
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2021, 10:39:02 AM »
IMHO
Can the Chinese make a decent product?
"Made in China" Kymco scooters assembled in China under the management of Kymco are as good as a Kymco assembled in Taiwan, as far as I'm concerned.
Much like when Honda came to the USA, opened plants and showed that even an American can build a good car if given the right stuff. So - it can happen in China as well.
From the stuff I've seen - Taiwan is the new Japan for Asian Quality.

Stig
PS: and china if it wants to milk Taiwan would do well to not mess with a good thing - while they keep their sandal on their necks. (of course who could work well like that....
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

jermwars

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2021, 05:09:15 PM »
Taiwan is a island nation west of China. Chiang-kai-shek fled communism to Formosa to set up a republic. It IS a separate country that China wants to control. Just like they want to control the US. Some Kymco models are made in china and some parts are made there as well. But the quality standard of Kymco is superior to most china bikes.

Taiwan's future is bleak under the present administration in the US....

Fascinating...I had no idea. I wonder what its like living in that kind of political environment. Its gotta be unnerving...China is terrifying.

And ya, Kymco seems to be an entirely different creature than Benzhou or Zhejiang even though the chinese makers have been stepping up their game it seems.

Chinas biggest problem in my experience seems to be RUBBER. Their mastery of rubber it or was way behind so all the seals and belts in their machines fail...same seems true of their plastic. So all the switches and body parts crumble

But Im sure you are fully aware of this and im preaching to the choir

22' KymCo AK550
07' Yamaha Majesty YP400

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2021, 05:36:40 PM »
not sure why everyone complains about quality of goods from China, they are like every other country, they have manufacturers that produce crap, and those that produce high quality.   

The Chinese have been making high quality steel since before most countries even existed, same with other goods, but they produce crap like everyone else, cause people buy the stuff

I bought an axe a few years ago, Chinese, the same quality as the Tautahi for 1/3 less
RandyO
IBA#9560

jermwars

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2021, 02:20:37 AM »
not sure why everyone complains about quality of goods from China, they are like every other country, they have manufacturers that produce crap, and those that produce high quality.   

The Chinese have been making high quality steel since before most countries even existed, same with other goods, but they produce crap like everyone else, cause people buy the stuff

I bought an axe a few years ago, Chinese, the same quality as the Tautahi for 1/3 less

Thats true...and good point...

Another example is the electric cars coming out of China these days...Li Auto and Xpeng...NIO...Really excellent products. State of the art.

Top dollar too.

22' KymCo AK550
07' Yamaha Majesty YP400

JJJoseph

• Kymco Sento
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2021, 08:29:10 AM »
Taiwan and China are not separate countries.  Both claim that they are one country, but each claims to be in charge.  It's an internal difference of opinion.  There's no point in trying to separate them since both claim that they're united as one (sort of). On many levels both parts cooperate with each other.  Kymco has factories in both parts. The same for computer and tech companies which are located throughout both regions.

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2021, 09:30:59 AM »
Taiwan and China are not separate countries.  Both claim that they are one country, but each claims to be in charge.  It's an internal difference of opinion.  There's no point in trying to separate them since both claim that they're united as one (sort of). On many levels both parts cooperate with each other.  Kymco has factories in both parts. The same for computer and tech companies which are located throughout both regions.
If that was true China would not threaten to invade Taiwan and take over with military force.  Taiwan's printed circuit boards are light years ahead of China  in quality. 

China can build better product's,  it's what price point the customer specifies.  China brand scooter's use lower quality components and no quality control to undercut the market.  If a manufacturer requires a certain level of quality and quality standards to be met China can build to their specifications at a cost.

Don't believe me order in one of the $1000. dollar scooter's in a box and purchase a Kymco Agility and compare the two for yourself.  Both are built in China but entirely different levels of quality  and price.

China builds to the price point specified.

jermwars

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2021, 11:41:16 PM »

:D I just never knew about any of this conflict. Amazing how ignorant one can be if they try
« Last Edit: October 13, 2021, 11:45:00 PM by jermwars »
22' KymCo AK550
07' Yamaha Majesty YP400

stuo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2021, 02:29:29 AM »
I concur about the poor quality of Chinese rubber. In the 80's i bought a Chinese rear tire for my motorcycle because it was half the price of the competition. On a dry road it spun out and dumped me on the concrete breaking my collar bone. I now buy the best tires regardless of cost. Pain is a great teacher.

Taiwan may be the cause of WW3 if Xi and Biden can't make nice-nice. Let's hope and pray they can....
2009 GV 250

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2021, 07:43:58 AM »
I concur about the poor quality of Chinese rubber. In the 80's i bought a Chinese rear tire for my motorcycle because it was half the price of the competition. On a dry road it spun out and dumped me on the concrete breaking my collar bone. I now buy the best tires regardless of cost. Pain is a great teacher.

Taiwan may be the cause of WW3 if Xi and Biden can't make nice-nice. Let's hope and pray they can....
A lot of RV trailer tires are made in China and referred to May-pops. Not known for quality .
« Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 12:04:45 AM by Kansas kymco »

JJJoseph

• Kymco Sento
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2021, 10:04:29 PM »
I concur about the poor quality of Chinese rubber. In the 80's i bought a Chinese rear tire
Stuo, that was 40 years ago!  Everything is made in China now.  That's why the LA, Seattle, and Vancouver container wharves are overwhelmed with incoming freight.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()