Author Topic: How To Get A Non-Running Scooter to Dealership  (Read 1383 times)

Togger

• View Profile
How To Get A Non-Running Scooter to Dealership
« on: October 08, 2021, 06:07:01 PM »
I can't seem to get my scooter started so I might need to bring it to a the only Kymco dealership in my area, which is 30 miles away. No one else will work on Kymcos for some reason. You wouldn't think this would be such a problem, but it is. The dealership doesn't have a transport system. Wouldn't you think they would pick it up since they'd increase business and make a little more money. I guess in this country it's assumed everyone has a pickup at the snap of a finger, too. I don't have a credit card so it might be hard to rent a uhaul truck, and my car can't haul a trailer. Anyone have ideas?

rjs987

• 2022 Kymco AK 550 - Matte Deep Blue
  • Central Iowa
    • View Profile
Re: How To Get A Non-Running Scooter to Dealership
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2021, 06:18:48 PM »
Friend with a pickup truck?

I do have a hitch on my Corolla and have thought many times about getting a trailer for this very instance. When I get my AK 550 I may have to finally do it since the nearest Kymco dealer for me is 125 miles away.

BTW- the last time I had that very issue with my wife's Honda Metropolitan I had it torn down to just before removing the engine/swing arm from the scooter and my hand accidentally touched the kill switch. I felt it turn ON and realized that was the problem all along. I had accidentally turned it off at some point making it unable to start even with the kick starter (those do still have a kick starter).
Just a thought.
/bob
2022 Kymco AK 550 Super Touring Extreme in Matte Deep Blue
RETIRED - US Navy and Air National Guard and civilian career

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2021, 06:19:00 PM »
that makes no sense at all that a scooter / motorcycle dealer would not have a truck available to pick up and deliver.

Can you borrow a truck from someone? A van?
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

Togger

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2021, 06:26:35 PM »
that makes no sense at all that a scooter / motorcycle dealer would not have a truck available to pick up and deliver.

Can you borrow a truck from someone? A van?

I don't know anyone with a truck or van.  My best bet might be renting one but it will probably cost an arm and a leg, then the cost of fixing the scooter, which might be higher than the value of the scooter.

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2021, 06:30:39 PM »
Togger, sorry if this has already been discussed..but have you run your non start issues by the board? Lots of smart people here that are pretty good at diagnosing scooter problems.
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

Togger

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2021, 06:38:09 PM »
Togger, sorry if this has already been discussed..but have you run your non start issues by the board? Lots of smart people here that are pretty good at diagnosing scooter problems.
New battery, spark plug. It ran all summer but I didn't ride for a week and now I can't start it. I tried to adjust the valves a few days ago. Not sure if I did that alright, though. Wanted to check fuel filter but I can't get the side cover off because of rusted screws I can't remove. The last time I rode it, I let the gas get low, to one bar. Maybe a fuel problem, but it could be a lot of things. It was always fairly hard to start ( 4 0r 5 attempts, but now it doesn't even seem to want to start, just starter grinding.

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2021, 06:47:20 PM »
@Togger, as far I remember from other threads started by you, its a B&W 250, EFI, and had fuelpump/ filter issues, right?
Here in Italy you are allowed to be towed to an workshop or support by THE SAME vehicle class you tow. Would mean in your case a motorcycle.
 Agreed, it's long shot but a possibility.

Call a transport company, a spedition close to you, or a junkyard close to you for transport.

If you in rural area, go to farmer with  a trailer for his tractor.
Call FedEx what they would take to pick and deliver.
Call a parcel company what they think.
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

souzamoto

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2021, 06:47:34 PM »
Search for a motorcycle towing company in your area, or ask the dealer if they know of anyone.

Togger

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2021, 07:01:19 PM »
Search for a motorcycle towing company in your area, or ask the dealer if they know of anyone.

That's the problem with the US, it's not enlightened like Europe. Everything has got to be a hassle or expensive. We don't have logical services like that.

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2021, 07:20:18 PM »
That's the problem with the US, it's not enlightened like Europe. Everything has got to be a hassle or expensive. We don't have logical services like that.
Have you even contacted a towing company in your area to inquire about it?  Even if that company does not deal in motorcycles towing they may be able to suggest another company that does.  I don't know where you live to make suggestions?  Every person on my block has a trailer with the exception of a 90 year old widow that gave her husbands trailer to her son.  Does anyone on your block have a trailer you can borrow or rent?
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

Togger

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2021, 07:32:33 PM »
Have you even contacted a towing company in your area to inquire about it?  Even if that company does not deal in motorcycles towing they may be able to suggest another company that does.  I don't know where you live to make suggestions?  Every person on my block has a trailer with the exception of a 90 year old widow that gave her husbands trailer to her son.  Does anyone on your block have a trailer you can borrow or rent?

No and I have a very small car, a Hyundai Accent, and believe it or not, it's not supposed to tow anything, according to the manual.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2021, 07:37:43 PM »
Yep, flat-bed "tow" to the dealer by any local auto towing/recovery firm. But, man will it be expensive most likely!! 30 miles!

Same problem around here - no private bike shop will touch a "Chinese" scooter (if it's not a Japanese brand - it's Chinese to many) . It's the dealer or nothing.
Might be time to start shopping for a lightly used motorcycle or scooter?

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Togger

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2021, 07:42:57 PM »
Yep, flat-bed "tow" to the dealer by any local auto towing/recovery firm. But, man will it be expensive most likely!! 30 miles!

Same problem around here - no private bike shop will touch a "Chinese" scooter (if it's not a Japanese brand - it's Chinese to many) . It's the dealer or nothing.
Might be time to start shopping for a lightly used motorcycle or scooter?

Stig

What do you mean by expensive? How much would a Kymco 250 bring for parts?

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2021, 07:46:23 PM »
Sad news that from your side of the ocean.

Here in Italy any scootershop takes any brand.
' Course you might have to wait if spareparts are required.
 Your dealership seems to be a little bit spoiled, being so picky.
Or is it a lack of confidence to their own capabilities?
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2021, 09:31:29 PM »
Sad news that from your side of the ocean.

Here in Italy any scootershop takes any brand.
' Course you might have to wait if spareparts are required.
 Your dealership seems to be a little bit spoiled, being so picky.
Or is it a lack of confidence to their own capabilities?
They see non-Japanese scooters as internet junk - $800 delivered to your driveway in a box from china.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()