Author Topic: AK550 little rubber things  (Read 273 times)

jermwars

• View Profile
AK550 little rubber things
« on: October 10, 2021, 02:16:28 AM »
If i already asked...bear with me...im forgetful (brain soaked in bong resin)

When i got my AK550, there were these 2 little rubber things in the glove box...about 4 inches by 1 inch tapered at one end...maybe 1/4" thick. Labeled "L" and "R"

Anyone else get these and any idea what the heck they are?
22' KymCo AK550
07' Yamaha Majesty YP400

rjs987

• 2022 Kymco AK 550 - Matte Deep Blue
  • Central Iowa
    • View Profile
Re: AK550 little rubber things
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2021, 02:30:31 AM »
My guess here. Just from watching unboxing videos and also seeing what is done when some owners decide they want to put aftermarket mirrors on the handlebars and remove the factory mirrors...

Those sound from your description to be the inserts that would fit into the holes left when you remove the OEM mirror stalks. That is, if they look to be the right size and shape to fit where the mirrors are mounted on the fairing.

It is good that they were given to you with the scooter when you bought it and not simply discarded. Which is something I would not be surprised that some dealerships might do.
/bob
2022 Kymco AK 550 Super Touring Extreme in Matte Deep Blue
RETIRED - US Navy and Air National Guard and civilian career

jermwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2021, 03:00:16 AM »
My guess here. Just from watching unboxing videos and also seeing what is done when some owners decide they want to put aftermarket mirrors on the handlebars and remove the factory mirrors...

Those sound from your description to be the inserts that would fit into the holes left when you remove the OEM mirror stalks. That is, if they look to be the right size and shape to fit where the mirrors are mounted on the fairing.

It is good that they were given to you with the scooter when you bought it and not simply discarded. Which is something I would not be surprised that some dealerships might do.

You da MAN BOB!!

Thats precisely what they are...absolutely, without a doubt. NAILED IT.

I asked the salesman, the service guy, i emailed 2 different dealers...asked on a facebook page or 2...Nobody knew.

Im kicking myself for not seeing it before because its so obvious now.

THANK YOU
22' KymCo AK550
07' Yamaha Majesty YP400

rjs987

• Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2021, 03:44:09 PM »
As I implied, and it has been my experience in the past that many dealers and sales staff don't have a clue about some parts that come on any bike. After I bought my CTX1300 it was such a rare bike that even though the local dealer had a few of them on the floor the sales staff had no clue what to say about it or how to sell it to any customer. Every time I was in there for some service I would wonder around the sales floor and proceed to educate the sales person about it and sell it to the customer for them... essentially. But that's just me. I generally learn more about things I intend to buy before I buy them that I can tell any sales person something they didn't know about that item. I did that all the time at Best Buy stores on their computers (of course my career was in computers, big ones and small ones, that run state government).

Oh, and on that note...
Maybe you can test something for me?
I was watching a video on the AK 550 from Inday Rider and as she was demonstrating it was mentioned and shown that when she held the button on the remote fob for a few seconds it turned on the bike same as the button on the central control knob. And then when she turned the central control knob to the ON position that the dash on the AK lit up. This may be wrong and I may have missed something on that. I watched that part of the video several times and I know I didn't see her push the button on the bottom of that central control knob at all. She only touched it once some time after that to open the seat but not to turn that knob on.

Previously I had thought I read somewhere that the button on the remote fob was a battery check. Then I read somewhere that it was a on/off button for the fob... which turns out to be false. But I did watch carefully in that video and the gal pressed the fob button for a few seconds and then turned the central control knob to ON and the bike turned on without ever touching the bottom button on the central control. I would like you to test that theory if you would please. I have no idea why that would be helpful to anyone but I might be missing something. It does seem odd that there would be a button on the fob that does nothing but shine a little LED light.
/bob

jermwars

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2021, 04:53:50 PM »

Oh, and on that note...
Maybe you can test something for me?
I was watching a video on the AK 550 from Inday Rider and as she was demonstrating it was mentioned and shown that when she held the button on the remote fob for a few seconds it turned on the bike same as the button on the central control knob. And then when she turned the central control knob to the ON position that the dash on the AK lit up. This may be wrong and I may have missed something on that. I watched that part of the video several times and I know I didn't see her push the button on the bottom of that central control knob at all. She only touched it once some time after that to open the seat but not to turn that knob on.

Previously I had thought I read somewhere that the button on the remote fob was a battery check. Then I read somewhere that it was a on/off button for the fob... which turns out to be false. But I did watch carefully in that video and the gal pressed the fob button for a few seconds and then turned the central control knob to ON and the bike turned on without ever touching the bottom button on the central control. I would like you to test that theory if you would please. I have no idea why that would be helpful to anyone but I might be missing something. It does seem odd that there would be a button on the fob that does nothing but shine a little LED light.

Done.

Negative...didnt do anything. Tried it for a long time too...tried combinations of pressings even.

That would have been nice!

Looks like its just a super fancy battery check button :/

The more i look at this fob the more i imagine its highly overpriced.

Neat though
22' KymCo AK550
07' Yamaha Majesty YP400

rjs987

• Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2021, 07:46:52 PM »
Done.

Negative...didnt do anything. Tried it for a long time too...tried combinations of pressings even.

That would have been nice!

Looks like its just a super fancy battery check button :/

The more i look at this fob the more i imagine its highly overpriced.

Neat though

Thanks for checking though. Seems a waste to even have a button on it but I suppose there does need to be a way to verify that battery is still working.

At least if you forget to check the battery and it does go dead you can still turn on the AK 550 by placing the fob on top the right glove box on that little circle diagram etched into the plastic there. That part I have confirmed and have seen it explained in multiple videos and writeups. Same thing can be done with the keyless start on my Rav4 and any other keyless start vehicle.
/bob

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()