Author Topic: Getting Carb Cleaned?  (Read 390 times)

Togger

• View Profile
Getting Carb Cleaned?
« on: October 11, 2021, 02:29:43 AM »
What should it cost to get a carb cleaned. If I were to take it out and bring them the carb, would it be cheaper?

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Getting Carb Cleaned?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2021, 12:41:56 PM »
it's always cheaper if you bring someone the part, already removed. It saves them the time of removing and reinstalling.

I would guess they'd charge an hour of labor to clean?? The reality is that is doesn't take an hour to clean...and it is actually very easy to do yourself (hint, hint)....

There are so many youtube videos out there about cleaning scooter (GY6) carbs...it is not difficult at all. If you are competent enough to remove your carb from your scoot for service..you already have the skill to then clean it!

What is wrong that you think your carb needs cleaning? (all carbs do at some point..just wondering if you have a specific issue)
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

Togger

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2021, 07:49:13 PM »
it's always cheaper if you bring someone the part, already removed. It saves them the time of removing and reinstalling.

I would guess they'd charge an hour of labor to clean?? The reality is that is doesn't take an hour to clean...and it is actually very easy to do yourself (hint, hint)....

There are so many youtube videos out there about cleaning scooter (GY6) carbs...it is not difficult at all. If you are competent enough to remove your carb from your scoot for service..you already have the skill to then clean it!

What is wrong that you think your carb needs cleaning? (all carbs do at some point..just wondering if you have a specific issue)

I watched an hour long video done by Robot at Vespa in San Diego and it did not seem easy at all, plus it was extremely messy, and I live in a condo with no garage, so I'd have to do everything in a parking lot. Not real convenient. I was at a Vespa dealer today and they said they wouldn't work on the carb even if I brought it in.

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2021, 08:10:49 PM »
@Togger, maybe you try... carb shown there is from a LIKE 125, yours should be similar..

btw: a lot of Piaggios have KEIHIN carburators like our Kymcos, so this workshop seems really strange to me.

(Pls see) upcoming questions, will be answered
https://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=31659.msg221713#msg221713
« Last Edit: October 11, 2021, 08:17:18 PM by Ruffus »
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2021, 04:13:49 AM »
Togger -  it can be as easy as pulling your carb out then removing the 4 screws that hold the float bowl on and removing and cleaning your pilot (slow speed) jet and reassembling...that solve a lot of slow speed issues as when you first give it throttle and it dies.

A thorough clean of everything on the carb takes maybe a half hour? Watch a few more GY6 carb cleaning videos..you'll start to see a pattern that most of the CV carbs like we have on our scoots are all basically identical...and are all cleaned the same way.

Get some goggles, latex gloves and a can of carb cleaner. Your kitchen table is a great spot to disassemble a carb! (you may want to go outside to spray the carb cleaner in and on your carb).

Ruffus's pics show all the parts on a carb. It's really not rocket science..it's pretty easy!
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()