Author Topic: AK550 - New luggage rack  (Read 442 times)

NomadCF

• View Profile
AK550 - New luggage rack
« on: October 13, 2021, 03:33:00 AM »
I finally got around to working on the bike again, I got the new rack mounted up and sorting out the wiring for some addition brake lights and blinkers. I "tapped" into the existing wiring connection/ block at the rear of the bike. It's in the back under the bucket on the riders right hand side (opposite of the kick stand). The blocks layout starting from the TOP LEFT is as follows
  • Top Left - Blinker
  • Top Right - Brake
  • Middle Left - Empty
  • Middle Right - Unknown
  • Bottom Left - Blinker
  • Bottom Right - Blinker

rjs987

• 2022 Kymco AK 550 - Matte Deep Blue
  • Central Iowa
    • View Profile
Re: AK550 - New luggage rack
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2021, 03:51:36 AM »
I was wondering how that rear rack would look on the tail of a Silver AK since it only comes in Black. Pricey little bit of kit that thing is but the only one that looks good on the AK 550, like it belongs, IMO. That would be the only part to prevent me from getting one right away. Saw one on eBay for $388.71 (OK, so I'm cheap). Did your's come with the Matt Silver Crystal tail panel with the slot already cut out or did you cut the slot yourself?

And does that warning stamped in the center of the plate say max load 8kg or 5kg? That means about 30 lbs either way... Right?  ;D

Having done electrical work on several bikes including installing isolated fuse blocks and power circuits for farkles and trailer harnesses, that plug is a typical 5 wire tail light system plug. Per the electrical diagram I downloaded for the AK 550 here is the wire color breakout for those who want to know:

Blue wire = Right turn signal
Orange wire = Left turn signal
Green/Yellow wire = Brake light
Black/Green wire = Running light
Green wire = Ground
/bob
2022 Kymco AK 550 Super Touring Extreme in Matte Deep Blue
RETIRED - US Navy and Air National Guard and civilian career

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2021, 12:58:34 PM »
I finally got around to working on the bike again, I got the new rack mounted up and sorting out the wiring for some addition brake lights and blinkers. I "tapped" into the existing wiring connection/ block at the rear of the bike. It's in the back under the bucket on the riders right hand side (opposite of the kick stand). The blocks layout starting from the TOP LEFT is as follows
  • Top Left - Blinker
  • Top Right - Brake
  • Middle Left - Empty
  • Middle Right - Unknown
  • Bottom Left - Blinker
  • Bottom Right - Blinker

I think the OP posted photos here - anyone else not seeing them?
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

rjs987

• 2022 Kymco AK 550 - Matte Deep Blue
  • Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2021, 02:20:07 PM »
Nope, didn't see any pics here. When I first looked at this post I didn't even see any picture holder indicators like I do now.
But I did see NomadCF's post on the ADV Rider forum for the very same thing and pictures are visible there:
https://advrider.com/f/threads/kymco-ak550-in-the-usa-for-2021.1470001/page-37#post-43141583

The luggage rack is the one I think Kymco produced for the AK and is the only one I've seen that matches the lines at all. Just wish it came in matching colors other than black. I know it can be painted but to paint it in the Matte finish costs more than other finishes so I expect most who get this rack leave it as black. I think it still looks good since there is a lot of other black on the silver AK so not a total distraction. I still wonder where NomadCF obtained the color matched tail cover panel since all sources I've found so far for that rack came with the black panel with the slot cut out... unless he cut the slot out of his existing cover panel.
/bob
2022 Kymco AK 550 Super Touring Extreme in Matte Deep Blue
RETIRED - US Navy and Air National Guard and civilian career

mrmike

• Syuracuse, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2021, 03:09:59 PM »
  At least you have a rack. I ordered a top box and mounting kit for my X-Town 300 from Shad UK, and now am told the mounting kit is back ordered 5 to 6 weeks. Hopefully I'll have it to use in the spring!
Blue '23 People S 150i ABS  Moto Discovery GPS bar, Shad SH33 top case, Iridium spark plug, Black reflective graphics, Battery Tender ring terminal cable, LED tag light.         
Past rides- '73 Honda 450, '00 Harley Softail Deuce, '10 Kymco People 150, '12 Kymco GTI 300, '21 Kymco X-Town 300i ABS

jermwars

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2021, 07:49:37 PM »
  At least you have a rack. I ordered a top box and mounting kit for my X-Town 300 from Shad UK, and now am told the mounting kit is back ordered 5 to 6 weeks. Hopefully I'll have it to use in the spring!

My Shad rack and backrest finally cleared customs in Zurich last friday :D

Ordered from Italy...Brixiamoto...Now it will probably get stuck in shipping.
22' KymCo AK550
07' Yamaha Majesty YP400

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()