Author Topic: AK550 SOUND!!  (Read 797 times)

jermwars

• View Profile
AK550 SOUND!!
« on: October 16, 2021, 10:54:18 PM »
I just LOVE the way the AK550 sounds when decelerating!!!

Sounds like a jet fighter winding down or something...spaceship :D

Just an amazing bike.
22' KymCo AK550
07' Yamaha Majesty YP400

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: AK550 SOUND!!
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2021, 12:07:42 AM »
I just LOVE the way the AK550 sounds when decelerating!!!

Sounds like a jet fighter winding down or something...spaceship :D

Just an amazing bike.
So, no clunking noise on the decel!?
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

rjs987

• 2022 Kymco AK 550 - Matte Deep Blue
  • Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2021, 12:25:12 AM »
I did notice the nice sound on both acceleration and deceleration when I did my test ride on one a few weeks ago.

Still hoping, and still time 'cuz the eBay auction is still going, that my Burgman will sell so I can buy one. There are 2 dealers where I'll likely try to work out a deal on one. Either Moto Italia in Edwardsville, IL (just east of St Louis) or Wheeler Powersports in Fort Smith, AR where I did my test ride. Moto Italia has both 2021 and 2022 models, at least their web site seems to indicate that with a dealer stock number for each of them. Wheeler has only the 2021 model, one in each color.
/bob
2022 Kymco AK 550 Super Touring Extreme in Matte Deep Blue
RETIRED - US Navy and Air National Guard and civilian career

jermwars

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2021, 01:13:58 AM »
So, no clunking noise on the decel!?
Stig

Lol! I dont like that sound when it decelerates...but actually no. When it thumps its hardest I can hear it but i mostly just feel it. Sure wish i knew what it was. Even though it doesnt affect performance, it still really gets me.

Its like if you bought a new Rolex with a lifetime warranty and the R fell off in the case the first day...but service says:

"Dont worry about it...your new Olex still tells time."

I emailed Kymco USA a few times to see if they had and advice and so far, they've completely ignored me.

My faith is a little shaken :D

« Last Edit: October 17, 2021, 03:56:26 PM by jermwars »
22' KymCo AK550
07' Yamaha Majesty YP400

rjs987

• Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2021, 01:26:02 AM »
Actually that sounds normal to me. Most manufacturers will ignore such requests if they think the dealer service network should handle it, and many dealer service shops will ignore it if they feel there is nothing to worry about... unless they are a premier service shop which goes beyond the norm to support you. Have had the same with Honda and Suzuki as well.
/bob

jermwars

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2021, 01:52:00 AM »
I did notice the nice sound on both acceleration and deceleration when I did my test ride on one a few weeks ago.

Still hoping, and still time 'cuz the eBay auction is still going, that my Burgman will sell so I can buy one. There are 2 dealers where I'll likely try to work out a deal on one. Either Moto Italia in Edwardsville, IL (just east of St Louis) or Wheeler Powersports in Fort Smith, AR where I did my test ride. Moto Italia has both 2021 and 2022 models, at least their web site seems to indicate that with a dealer stock number for each of them. Wheeler has only the 2021 model, one in each color.

Good luck brother!! Hope everything falls into place! Seems like people are grabbing Burgmans up pretty quick these days...something of a vehicle shortage at hand i hear. Id bet youll git er sold

Definitely the sound accelerating...purrs like a lion. I dont remember ever having a bike sound like that as it winds down though. Didnt expect it. Completely diggin it.

And I guess im lucky to have 2 Kymco dealers so close...10 miles and another one maybe 35 or so...Surprised there isnt one in Des Moines yet   
22' KymCo AK550
07' Yamaha Majesty YP400

jermwars

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2021, 02:00:08 AM »
Actually that sounds normal to me. Most manufacturers will ignore such requests if they think the dealer service network should handle it, and many dealer service shops will ignore it if they feel there is nothing to worry about... unless they are a premier service shop which goes beyond the norm to support you. Have had the same with Honda and Suzuki as well.

Thats disappointing...the other kymco dealer a bit out of Austin said that they would gladly check it out and see what they think but it sounds like they'll probably have a similar determination. Might be worth doing though...maybe they'll want the work.
22' KymCo AK550
07' Yamaha Majesty YP400

rjs987

• Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2021, 02:40:09 PM »
I'm certain they'll love to get you to part with some money for them to at least check it out. And if it does need something fixed under warranty then they'll try to get Kymco to part with some money.
/bob

jermwars

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2021, 07:56:29 PM »
I'm certain they'll love to get you to part with some money for them to at least check it out. And if it does need something fixed under warranty then they'll try to get Kymco to part with some money.

Im tempted to say to hell with it and dig into it myself...the OCD is wearing on me.

(Valley High School class of '88 by the way...Did you go to HS in WDSM?)
22' KymCo AK550
07' Yamaha Majesty YP400

rjs987

• Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2021, 11:13:08 PM »
Im tempted to say to hell with it and dig into it myself...the OCD is wearing on me.

(Valley High School class of '88 by the way...Did you go to HS in WDSM?)

I do most maintenance anyway on all my bikes so that would be my approach.

No, I graduated Hempstead HS in Dubuque. Class of '73. My dad was a PE teacher there and also my swim coach.

Are you still in the DsM metro area? (haven't really paid attention where everyone here is located... not that everyone posts that).
/bob

jermwars

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2021, 11:18:38 PM »
I do most maintenance anyway on all my bikes so that would be my approach.

No, I graduated Hempstead HS in Dubuque. Class of '73. My dad was a PE teacher there and also my swim coach.

Are you still in the DsM metro area? (haven't really paid attention where everyone here is located... not that everyone posts that).

Naw, i migrated down south to Texas. Austin area...Get to ride all year round barring the freak snowstorm every decade or two.

77 and beautiful today
22' KymCo AK550
07' Yamaha Majesty YP400

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2021, 12:37:36 AM »
Naw, i migrated down south to Texas. Austin area...Get to ride all year round barring the freak snowstorm every decade or two.

77 and beautiful today
Austin, TX, ....last night before shipping out to Vietnam took my Honda and rode it from SanAntonio until I saw the lights of Austin. Midnight....saw 103mph on the speedo. Blowing off some tension!
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

jermwars

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2021, 01:46:48 AM »
Austin, TX, ....last night before shipping out to Vietnam took my Honda and rode it from SanAntonio until I saw the lights of Austin. Midnight....saw 103mph on the speedo. Blowing off some tension!
Stig

Niiice. Thats getting to be quite awhile ago...Gotta imagine the city casts a bigger dome these days

I love Austin. At least up north where im at. Very polite and civilized. Good, earthy people.

Gets a little goofy down south in the city but up here in Round Rock people mind their manners.

I bet ive only taken the keys out of my Yamaha a dozen times in the 3+ years ive had it.

Ive been a little more cautious about the AK :D
22' KymCo AK550
07' Yamaha Majesty YP400

rjs987

• Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2021, 02:16:12 AM »
I bet ive only taken the keys out of my Yamaha a dozen times in the 3+ years ive had it.

Ive been a little more cautious about the AK :D

I caught that. Taking the keys out of your AK!
I'll bet you never put the keys INTO your AK.

Of course you could be even more cautious and put the fob into a Faraday pouch like I intend to do "when" I buy my AK.  ;D
I think I mentioned in another post that the range between the AK and the fob is about 45-50 ft. Tested and verified when I sat on my first one in Lafayette with the help of the dealer/owner who was showing me the one he had on the floor.

Already have the Faraday pouch! Well, I actually bought a set of two when I ordered them from Amazon. One for the keyless start fob for my Rav4 and the other waiting for the AK to arrive.
/bob

jermwars

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2021, 03:46:25 PM »
I caught that. Taking the keys out of your AK!
I'll bet you never put the keys INTO your AK.

Of course you could be even more cautious and put the fob into a Faraday pouch like I intend to do "when" I buy my AK.  ;D
I think I mentioned in another post that the range between the AK and the fob is about 45-50 ft. Tested and verified when I sat on my first one in Lafayette with the help of the dealer/owner who was showing me the one he had on the floor.

Already have the Faraday pouch! Well, I actually bought a set of two when I ordered them from Amazon. One for the keyless start fob for my Rav4 and the other waiting for the AK to arrive.

Im really glad you brought this one up...i never would have thought to test the range of the fob. Good to know for sure
22' KymCo AK550
07' Yamaha Majesty YP400

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()