Author Topic: New AK550 gear oil drain location.  (Read 745 times)

cerberus

• View Profile
New AK550 gear oil drain location.
« on: October 25, 2021, 07:44:23 PM »
Does anybody know where it is? I’d like to change that oil too at my first 600 mi engine oil change.
Thank you.

rjs987

• 2022 Kymco AK 550 - Matte Deep Blue
  • Central Iowa
    • View Profile
Re: New AK550 gear oil drain location.
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2021, 01:05:55 AM »
GEAR OIL?

There are 2 engine oil drain bolts on the left side at the bottom/side of the engine and under the clutch. Haven't read about any "GEAR" oil to change. The CVT (not gears but pulleys) is a dry system so no oil to change there. There is brake fluid and coolant. Those would be the only fluids that need to be checked and/or changed as needed.

Search for AK 550 oil change on YouTube. There are a number of videos that show it rather clearly.
/bob
2022 Kymco AK 550 Super Touring Extreme in Matte Deep Blue
RETIRED - US Navy and Air National Guard and civilian career

cerberus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2021, 09:42:57 PM »
Thank you. Yes I’m aware of all that. Maybe I should have called it final drive fluid? My 2016 Genuine Hooligan has gear oil that needs to be replace occasionally. It is also a CVT. Thank you for your comment.

mousejunks

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2021, 01:07:55 AM »
According to the service manual, there is no gear oil to change as the final drive is a toothed belt. Rather, the belt has to be checked and adjusted at the recommended intervals.

https://kymco.at/pub/media/Download/Kymco/ServiceAK550.pdf
'09 Kymco Espresso 150i
'11 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS - 79,500km
'17 Kymco Downtown 350i ABS

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2021, 01:37:20 PM »
interesting..is this common with larger engined maxi scooters? No final gear reduction / gear drive with oil? I know the big Burgmans have a different type of CVT / final drive..
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

rjs987

• Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2021, 03:34:17 PM »
It now seems the question here is not about the final drive, as in the belt between the output of the engine and the rear wheel sprocket, but rather what Kymco is calling the final drive in the service manual. I opened my pdf of the SM and looked into this a little deeper. The reduction gear set is likely what the OP is asking about. Based on what I am reading and seeing in the SM the clutch is located in the "mission box" or "mission case" in both the chapters that cover the wet clutch and the final drive (reduction gear set). That final drive is a set of 3 gears that reduce the output of the clutch for the input to the belt drive sprocket shaft, or what is officially called the final shaft. I think this is the gear oil box that @cerberus refers to and is asking about. This reduction gear set sits in a gear case behind the mission box and is open to the wet clutch. From what I can tell the oil in the wet clutch mission box, which is the same oil shared by the engine, is siphoned from the rear oil screen under the clutch up to the reduction gear set gear case to lubricate those final drive gears. It then drains back down into the mission box to the clutch. There is NO separate sump of oil for those gears but they share the engine oil same as the clutch does. Yet another reason there are 2 oil drains and 2 oil screens that need to be pulled to drain the engine/clutch/gear oil. It's all the same oil reserve. So when you change the engine oil you are servicing all those components at the same time with one oil reserve. That's a really well thought out system if you ask me... as far as performing service is concerned.

So to perhaps answer the original question: there is no separate oil drain location for the final drive gear set but it is the same oil used by the engine and clutch and the 2 engine/clutch oil drain plugs are all that is needed to service the oil for that reduction gear set. It's all one oil supply.

BTW - the service manual I have is for the Euro 4 AK 550 and is a free pdf download from the Kymco.at. Go to that web site, then Downloads, then Technical Downloads. Scroll down the list of many Kymco scooters they have manuals for and the AK 550 is down most of the way in the list. The complete service manual is called Workshop Manual. There are also the electrical diagrams and Service AK 550 manuals (the service manual is a subset of the complete SM). These manuals for the AK are in English. Don't know about the others. It's a FREE download so no reason not to have it on hand to provide the kind of information asked about in this thread!
/bob

jermwars

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2021, 04:55:10 PM »
Does anybody know where it is? I’d like to change that oil too at my first 600 mi engine oil change.
Thank you.

I had the same question!! Was super confused at first because of the 2 drain bolts and all that...

Nice to be getting such concise and through explanations from members here.

Really great bunch o' guys
22' KymCo AK550
07' Yamaha Majesty YP400

rjs987

• Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2021, 05:00:26 PM »
I had the same question!! Was super confused at first because of the 2 drain bolts and all that...

Nice to be getting such concise and through explanations from members here.

Really great bunch o' guys

Just wait until I get my hands on my own AK 550!  ;D 8)
/bob

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2021, 05:16:30 PM »
thanks, RJS, great, informative answer. Learn something new everyday!
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

jermwars

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2021, 05:30:28 PM »
thanks, RJS, great, informative answer. Learn something new everyday!

RJS is a keeper
22' KymCo AK550
07' Yamaha Majesty YP400

cerberus

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2021, 05:44:17 PM »
@RJS987 Thank you and everyone else for the clarification. Something less to worry about.

jermwars

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2021, 05:52:14 PM »
Just wait until I get my hands on my own AK 550!  ;D 8)

IM actually excited for you to get one...Cant imagine how you feel
22' KymCo AK550
07' Yamaha Majesty YP400

rjs987

• Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2021, 06:24:59 PM »
IM actually excited for you to get one...Cant imagine how you feel

I'll be happy to tell you  ;D

I'm impatiently waiting to get my Burgman 650 sold. This has to happen first to have some of the funds needed to buy.

Know anyone who might be looking for a Burgman 650 with extras? Listed in the For Sale section here.  ;D
/bob

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2021, 06:41:57 PM »
@rjs987, thanks, very interesting from tech. point of view. Principle similar as I know from shift gear motorcycles.

workshop manual pls see
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://kymco.at/pub/media/Download/Kymco/WHBAK550.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjekIHHnOvzAhVvzoUKHeVBATgQFnoECC0QAQ&usg=AOvVaw3KD5Tp2MEUwv_1wGcNBz3k

@hawk, we have to get a AK 550, a new challenge!
« Last Edit: October 27, 2021, 08:24:18 PM by Ruffus »
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()