Author Topic: Kymco Dealership  (Read 772 times)

Togger

• View Profile
Kymco Dealership
« on: October 25, 2021, 08:31:54 PM »
I just found out the only kymco dealer in my area won't work on kymco scooters older than ten years old. That doesn't bode well for kymco or potential customers. They barely sell any kymcos in the first place.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Kymco Dealership
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2021, 09:56:06 PM »
I just found out the only kymco dealer in my area won't work on kymco scooters older than ten years old. That doesn't bode well for kymco or potential customers. They barely sell any kymcos in the first place.
In my extreme low opinion of dealers and their techs, he did you a favor! Actually, he (the dealer) may be extremely realistic. Parts support from Kymco USA has been quite poor in recent months because of extreme politics inside the importer known as Kymco USA. Dealers are not in any way responsible for this and the related flails that have resulted. Plus, there may be supply line issues with the port hassles...

The biggest worry these days is dealers unable or unwilling to honor the two-year warranty. Back in 2013, the dealer could get virtually unlimited parts to throw at a warranty problem IF he was willing to take on the warranty gripe in the first place. These days, the customer has to deal with both the reluctant dealer and then the poor parts situation.

The best news is that Kymcos need very little in parts other than gas, oil, tires and batteries.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2021, 12:20:51 AM »
I would be interested how this conversation went.
What service were you wanting?
For what Kymco?
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2021, 03:50:26 AM »
I've seen this sort of thing referenced here and there.
I honestly am in the market for another bike so am truly curious..
What's going on with 'em?

...Parts support from Kymco USA has been quite poor in recent months because of extreme politics inside the importer known as Kymco USA...
2008 SYM HD200 "Niwanibiz"
2018 Suzuki Burgman AN650z "Bebaamaadizid"

k9 S200 (Blue) "Max" (Sold)
k8 SYM HD200 "Indigo" (Deceased)
k7 Suzuki Burgman 650 "Ohanzee" (Sold)

Togger

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2021, 04:14:16 AM »
I would be interested how this conversation went.
What service were you wanting?
For what Kymco?
Stig

Called them up and asked how much to clean a carb on a Kymco. He asked what year, and when I said 2003 he said they don't work on older Kymcos, it was just their policy, even though about 3 years ago they changed a rear tire for me.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2021, 12:29:18 PM »
Called them up and asked how much to clean a carb on a Kymco. He asked what year, and when I said 2003 he said they don't work on older Kymcos, it was just their policy, even though about 3 years ago they changed a rear tire for me.
Thank you for the reply.  Wonder if it has to do with parts being HTF for a carb that old?
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2021, 06:35:37 PM »
@Togger, pls see link and forget dealership

https://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=31762.0

AND btw, what should be the difference in this KEIHIN carbs? They still the same than 10 yrs ago.
No, I'm 100% with CROSSBOLT and say additionally, 99% of all "mechanics" are not worth their salt.
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2021, 09:46:34 PM »
It's not just that Kymco dealer.  I have heard of dealers of various different brands not working on older bikes.  Part of the problem is lack of parts but part of it is that older bikes often have hidden issues that can make simple maintenance much more complicated than it should be.  Luckily non of the dealers I frequently do business with have that policy although my oldest bikes are less than 10 years old.  Next year two of them will be 10 years old although both models were still produced in following years. 
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2021, 10:25:57 PM »
I do not blame dealers---working on old junk can get expensive for them.  Ride old stuff and are able to fix right yourself=fine.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2021, 12:15:07 AM »
It's not just that Kymco dealer.  I have heard of dealers of various different brands not working on older bikes.  Part of the problem is lack of parts but part of it is that older bikes often have hidden issues that can make simple maintenance much more complicated than it should be.  Luckily non of the dealers I frequently do business with have that policy although my oldest bikes are less than 10 years old.  Next year two of them will be 10 years old although both models were still produced in following years.
That is a valid point about old machines especially models that are not currently produced in some form. True of other machines as well.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2021, 12:32:33 AM »
Togger - which takes us back to the beginning...it is best to learn basic maintenance on your machine as we can't rely on anyone else being willing or even able to do it for us!
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

JJJoseph

• Kymco Sento
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2021, 08:53:44 AM »
Wonder if it has to do with parts being HTF for a carb that old?

Parts for Kymco carbs may be difficult to find, but they can usually be swapped for a Keihin.  They're almost identical if you stick with the Chinese system.  Everything fits, controls, electric choke, etc.  A 20mm Keihin from China costs about $40, including shipping.

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2021, 10:13:09 AM »
I do not blame dealers---working on old junk can get expensive for them.  Ride old stuff and are able to fix right yourself=fine.
👍@John, this is it!!!
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

Like50

• Finland
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2021, 04:13:01 PM »
Togger - which takes us back to the beginning...it is best to learn basic maintenance on your machine as we can't rely on anyone else being willing or even able to do it for us!

I was lucky few years ago when I finally found a good service with reasonable price for my moped nearby. The guy is from Estonia, and lived those years there under U.S.S.R. when everything must be fixed due parts problem, because in communist country nothing exist those days. Now that is a school enough.
Now for twenty years scooter etc. service in Helsinki Finland, pick ups also when needed, trustable one time word, payment cash and receipt comes if comes usually not. Half of price comparing the big houses, with guarantee.
Seeking used Kymco moped scooter

jermwars

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2021, 09:24:42 PM »

Ive found that to be the case my whole life...Dealers just wont mess with them. Bigger fish waiting to fry i guess. Mechanics around here are EXTREMELY reluctant to take on much more than routine maintenance that most people can handle on their own anyway.

Big city like Austin youd think it would be easy to get work done...I had a hell of a time even finding someone to just swap rubber on my wheels 
22' KymCo AK550
07' Yamaha Majesty YP400

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()