Author Topic: AK550 and wind  (Read 479 times)

jermwars

• View Profile
AK550 and wind
« on: October 27, 2021, 04:45:17 PM »
REALLY impressed by how well the AK holds up in strong winds...My Yamaha yp400 just gets TOSSED AROUND so bad in the wind that it takes a lot of the fun out of the ride...but the AK sticks to the road like its on rails.

Not really sure why.

The yamaha is about 70 pounds lighter but it seems like something more than that...maybe its where the AK is heavier that makes such a noticeable difference, i dont know.

Most impressive whatever the reason
22' KymCo AK550
07' Yamaha Majesty YP400

rjs987

• 2022 Kymco AK 550 - Matte Deep Blue
  • Central Iowa
    • View Profile
Re: AK550 and wind
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2021, 04:58:34 PM »
Some bikes simply have better aerodynamics. My CTX1300 was one that looked like it should be blown all over the road but the aerodynamics of that bike were such that it felt like it totally ignored any wind and even most of the turbulence around big 18 wheeler trucks on the Interstate highways. The air blast or stream coming off the front that I felt was strong, as would be expected at highway speeds, but it that air stream was the smoothest I've ever felt on any bike I've ridden. Strong air stream is sometimes mistaken for buffeting but that's really not what buffeting is.

This is good to hear about the AK holding the line in wind.
/bob
2022 Kymco AK 550 Super Touring Extreme in Matte Deep Blue
RETIRED - US Navy and Air National Guard and civilian career

jermwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2021, 02:19:08 AM »
Some bikes simply have better aerodynamics. My CTX1300 was one that looked like it should be blown all over the road but the aerodynamics of that bike were such that it felt like it totally ignored any wind and even most of the turbulence around big 18 wheeler trucks on the Interstate highways.

This is good to hear about the AK holding the line in wind.

Had an actual Wind Advisory today in my chunk-o-Texas. 40mph gusts. Strong/sustained winds. Normally i would have probably skipped delivering today...The AK just ate it up. The things a TANK I TELLS YAS!!! :D

Haven't had to deal with any high speed 2 lane oncoming gigantic fookin truck interactions yet but the intense crosswinds were BARELY shoving me around at all and thats with the added profile of the delivery bags

I bet that Honda 1300 sure is an impressive machine...quite a thing to look at to be sure
22' KymCo AK550
07' Yamaha Majesty YP400

Ball Four

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2021, 09:29:40 PM »
Had an actual Wind Advisory today in my chunk-o-Texas. 40mph gusts. Strong/sustained winds. Normally i would have probably skipped delivering today...The AK just ate it up. The things a TANK I TELLS YAS!!! :D

Haven't had to deal with any high speed 2 lane oncoming gigantic fookin truck interactions yet but the intense crosswinds were BARELY shoving me around at all and thats with the added profile of the delivery bags

I bet that Honda 1300 sure is an impressive machine...quite a thing to look at to be sure

I'll 2nd Jerm here. Even with or maybe because of...the larger GIVI windscreen makes riding the AK almost a silent affair and winds from any direction become almost irrelevant.

jermwars

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2021, 09:56:09 PM »
I'll 2nd Jerm here. Even with or maybe because of...the larger GIVI windscreen makes riding the AK almost a silent affair and winds from any direction become almost irrelevant.

Im still thinking i might order that GIVI just to see if its EVEN MORE amazing...the difference between the stock setting and the higher setting for the windshield was pretty drastic even though it didnt seem like a huge difference to me as far as its position...couple inches here a few degrees there...but it was like a whole different screen.

22' KymCo AK550
07' Yamaha Majesty YP400

Clampett

• Uncle Jed
    • View Profile
    • My Maps
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2021, 03:09:32 AM »
I've had the Givi screen on my last 3 scooters and it is great.
But the OEM on highest setting is great. Only my hands exposed. But for only about 3 or 4 months a year it is cold here.
I'm thinking I like how the OEM design eliminates the back pressure and the wind stream goes over my head. No buffeting.
Since I wear OF helmet and glasses, buffeting can make for some interesting vision effects.

I do like the wings of the Givi deflecting off the hands. Being old and arthritic makes one consider accessories that aren't to ones preferred desires.
Considering some good hand guards but not sure about fitting them with the bars covered. Was hoping someone else would experiment on that as I've experimented in other areas.... :-\

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()