Author Topic: Voltage Issue  (Read 2410 times)

agilebda

• View Profile
Re: Voltage Issue
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2021, 02:05:18 PM »
Not quite in the clear yet guys. Something keeps draining batteries dead. In the morning it's okay just idle, but when I ride, the battery gets lower and lower voltage drop. I know this cause when riding, the indicator symbol and high beam symbol light up. Shut the bike down and then she ain't got no cranking amps.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2021, 03:00:18 PM »
DC ammeter in the main circuit. Not moving is simple:

1. Engine off, nothing turned on, the ONLY thing on is the clock. That drain should be very small, as in a couple of miliamps.
2. Any significant amp reading, start pulling fuses to see which circuit it's in.
3. Identify the circuit then disconnect each item in that group until drain disappears.
4. Once offending item identified, either find out and correct its problem or replace it.
5. Verify unwanted amp drain is gone.

Engine running but not riding is similar to above.
Engine running but riding similar but you must stop each time to pull a fuse to identify the offending circuit. Even then you must avoid pulling the circuit fuse that is for either ignition, ECU or fuel infection.

You must have some voltage  indication while riding because you said the voltage continued to drop while riding. I think that is a key that you are running "total loss" or strictly on battery. That puts the problem smack dab on connections among stator, regulator/rectifier and the system or malfunction of either stator or r/r.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

agilebda

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2021, 12:44:43 AM »
DC ammeter in the main circuit. Not moving is simple:

1. Engine off, nothing turned on, the ONLY thing on is the clock. That drain should be very small, as in a couple of miliamps.
2. Any significant amp reading, start pulling fuses to see which circuit it's in.
3. Identify the circuit then disconnect each item in that group until drain disappears.
4. Once offending item identified, either find out and correct its problem or replace it.
5. Verify unwanted amp drain is gone.

Engine running but not riding is similar to above.
Engine running but riding similar but you must stop each time to pull a fuse to identify the offending circuit. Even then you must avoid pulling the circuit fuse that is for either ignition, ECU or fuel infection.

You must have some voltage  indication while riding because you said the voltage continued to drop while riding. I think that is a key that you are running "total loss" or strictly on battery. That puts the problem smack dab on connections among stator, regulator/rectifier and the system or malfunction of either stator or r/r.

Hi Karl and thanks. I don't have any voltage indication but I have made this assumption based on: When riding I get the indicator blinker display light up also the high beam. When I stop the bike there's not even enough voltage to crank her over. Almost like the brank new  battery isn't being charged at all. Just drained. Two brand new batteries gone completely flat after few hrs of riding. I will do that fuse process tomorrow and let you know. I will go into town tomorrow and purchase me a voltmeter.

agilebda

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2021, 08:22:13 PM »
Well lookie what I found. Now to replace this ground which was resting up against my exhaust. Stands to reason, when the engine is cold for the 1st minute of riding, all is fine, once everything gets hot, all voltage hell breaks loose. What do you all think?

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2021, 09:03:24 PM »
Would say "CONGRATULATION" and being happy you found the little bugger.
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2021, 09:55:39 PM »
Well lookie what I found. Now to replace this ground which was resting up against my exhaust. Stands to reason, when the engine is cold for the 1st minute of riding, all is fine, once everything gets hot, all voltage hell breaks loose. What do you all think?
The metal of the exhaust "should be" the same potential as the ground cable. That is, if the ground wire had no insulation and was touching the hot muffler, nothing "should" happen.
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

agilebda

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2021, 09:59:26 PM »
The metal of the exhaust "should be" the same potential as the ground cable. That is, if the ground wire had no insulation and was touching the hot muffler, nothing "should" happen.

This was marine grade 8AWG wire (copper wire) which the last owner replaced but never zip tied to the frame properly. I would say it can cause interference, but I can be wrong. I've seen stranger things happen.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2021, 10:03:20 PM by agilebda »

agilebda

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2021, 09:40:52 PM »
Thanks guys. Still waiting for battery leads to arrive. Had another look at the system. Surprised it ran all this time. The ground was broken off completely. Previous Mechanic rigged it like this: Negative from battery straight to engine casing for grounding. Positive lead from battery to relay, from relay to starter motor!
The actual fuse box was bypassed completely. Found the old ground coming from battery to frame ground located on the frame after removing the seat. From there it went to nowhere.

agilebda

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2021, 09:53:02 PM »
My electric route didn't look anything like this pic. LOL.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2021, 01:45:44 AM »
Thanks guys. Still waiting for battery leads to arrive. Had another look at the system. Surprised it ran all this time. The ground was broken off completely. Previous Mechanic rigged it like this: Negative from battery straight to engine casing for grounding. Positive lead from battery to relay, from relay to starter motor!
The actual fuse box was bypassed completely. Found the old ground coming from battery to frame ground located on the frame after removing the seat. From there it went to nowhere.
Bypassed fusebox completely? Fat red wires do not go through fuse box if those the ones you are speaking. There is a skinny red wire from that post on the relay that does go to the fuse panel and the 35 amp or 30 amp fuse.
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

agilebda

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2021, 05:15:14 PM »
Thanks to all. Scoot running fantastic. Feels good to be back on the road. Ground wire was running from negative straight to engine casing ground. Thanks again to all you guys for the input and help. You are a great bunch of guys.

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2021, 07:45:21 PM »
Good news and an even better pic.
All the best and come back once in a while.
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2021, 09:36:46 PM »
Thanks to all. Scoot running fantastic. Feels good to be back on the road. Ground wire was running from negative straight to engine casing ground. Thanks again to all you guys for the input and help. You are a great bunch of guys.
I must have missed something as I do not understand what was wrong and what fixed the problem! Please explain....
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2021, 09:39:29 PM »
Is "replacing this ground" really meaning "this wire from the battery was grounding against the hot exhaust?"
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

agilebda

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2021, 09:43:22 PM »
Negative lead ran directly from the battery to the engine casing to be grounded. The last mechanic must have done this without zip ties to run the cable neatly. Ground wire touched the exhaust header and melted away. I saw another GTI and decided to check out the wiring, and the ground wire ran from battery-frame (next to the coil) and then to the engine casing. So this means that it wasn't properly grounded which explains the electrical issues and decline in performance.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()