Author Topic: LED headlights?  (Read 772 times)

mrmike

• Syuracuse, NY
    • View Profile
LED headlights?
« on: October 30, 2021, 07:03:15 PM »
   I just bought a 2021 X-Town 300i ABS. I'm really enjoying the scoot, but over the winter, I want to change over to LED headlights.
I'm wondering what Kymco models come with factory LEDS, and would any of them be a drop in conversion on my X-Town? I believe  my current lights are 35 Watt H-4 bulbs.
Blue '23 People S 150i ABS  Moto Discovery GPS bar, Shad SH33 top case, Iridium spark plug, Black reflective graphics, Battery Tender ring terminal cable, LED tag light.         
Past rides- '73 Honda 450, '00 Harley Softail Deuce, '10 Kymco People 150, '12 Kymco GTI 300, '21 Kymco X-Town 300i ABS

mousejunks

• View Profile
Re: LED headlights?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2021, 07:21:27 AM »
   I just bought a 2021 X-Town 300i ABS. I'm really enjoying the scoot, but over the winter, I want to change over to LED headlights.
I'm wondering what Kymco models come with factory LEDS, and would any of them be a drop in conversion on my X-Town? I believe  my current lights are 35 Watt H-4 bulbs.

For the new models, only the AK550, Xciting 400 (that I know of) comes with LED headlights. The similar Downtown 350 comes with halogen H7s.

Drop in replacements are plentiful on the net, just double check the globe type and space behind the bulb cover. Cheap LED globes are no better than halogens because they have the wrong colour temp or tint and do not have a small focal point to reflect like a halogen, producing unwanted glare and scattering.
'09 Kymco Espresso 150i
'11 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS - 79,500km
'17 Kymco Downtown 350i ABS

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2021, 07:55:42 PM »
What is wrong with the standard lights?  I had new XTown 300i---changing stuff that works is just asking for trouble down the road.   My stock lights worked fine.

mrmike

• Syuracuse, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2021, 11:33:35 PM »
What is wrong with the standard lights?  I had new XTown 300i---changing stuff that works is just asking for trouble down the road.   My stock lights worked fine.

I have HID's in one of my cars, and LEDS in the other. They give a brighter and whiter light than Halogens. Thats what I want on my scooter.
Blue '23 People S 150i ABS  Moto Discovery GPS bar, Shad SH33 top case, Iridium spark plug, Black reflective graphics, Battery Tender ring terminal cable, LED tag light.         
Past rides- '73 Honda 450, '00 Harley Softail Deuce, '10 Kymco People 150, '12 Kymco GTI 300, '21 Kymco X-Town 300i ABS

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2021, 11:44:24 PM »
Some of us doubt that an LED bulb will work in a reflector that is designed for a halogen bulb.
But then, some never ride in the dark after installing one.
Stig
« Last Edit: November 01, 2021, 02:44:14 PM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2021, 11:14:34 AM »
@mrmike, in my YAGER 200i I do have those LED headlight and driving lights. Yes, they make a brighter/bluish light. I had only drive lights changed to LEDs, didn't look good/different color. So I changed  this to a H4 bulb too. Output is better on the street IMO, but could also be a placebo effect. Beam and reach seems to be the same to me.

@Stig, very true. Bulb can be adjusted to a certain amount to avoid dazzling oncoming others.
And yes again, didn't drive that much during nighttime.
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

mrmike

• Syuracuse, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2021, 11:44:48 AM »
@mrmike, in my YAGER 200i I do have those LED headlight and driving lights. Yes, they make a brighter/bluish light. I had only drive lights changed to LEDs, didn't look good/different color. So I changed  this to a H4 bulb too. Output is better on the street IMO, but could also be a placebo effect. Beam and reach seems to be the same to me.

@Stig, very true. Bulb can be adjusted to a certain amount to avoid dazzling oncoming others.
And yes again, didn't drive that much during nighttime.

This is going to be my winter project. It looks like I have to take half the bike apart to change the headlamps. It's a American model, so the turn signals are in the mirrors. While I have it apart, I'm going to put LED's in the European turn signal spots to enhance the light output. The problem now is picking the right lights. That's why I was thinking of utilizing the factory bulbs from other Kymco models. Are your bulbs from the factory, or aftermarket? Could you give me part numbers and brand?

mrmike

• Syuracuse, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2021, 11:46:34 AM »

Ruffus

This is going to be my winter project. It looks like I have to take half the bike apart to change the headlamps. It's a American model, so the turn signals are in the mirrors. While I have it apart, I'm going to put LED's in the European turn signal spots to enhance the light output. The problem now is picking the right lights. That's why I was thinking of utilizing the factory bulbs from other Kymco models. Are your bulbs from the factory, or aftermarket? Could you give me part numbers and brand?

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2021, 05:45:41 PM »
@mrmike, here you go.
It's inexpensive stuff, bought locally at a car/battery/aftermarket shop. I like to experiment with things on my scoots, sometimes I do have an improvement too.😅
« Last Edit: November 01, 2021, 05:49:45 PM by Ruffus »
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()