Author Topic: Where do you carry your cell phone?  (Read 521 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Where do you carry your cell phone?
« on: November 01, 2021, 08:13:26 PM »
Assuming that you do carry one on each ride.

I carry my phone in an inside pocket, zipped-up, in my armored riding jackets.
Yes - some say that is asking it to be driven into your heart during a big crash....

But, I want it to be some place I can get to in order to call for help if I'm nearly incapacitated some dark night on a lonely county road.
I always insure that the pocket is zipped closed. After a "big off" I do not want to have to go looking for it in the shrubbery.

I am also not tempted to place it in the scooter, and wonder about those people who attach it on their scooter for various reasons.
I figure that the scooter and I may become separated in a crash, so I want it on my person. (I recall the story from one rider here, who lost his leg, having to drag himself back to his scooter to get to his phone one night)

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

rjs987

• 2022 Kymco AK 550 - Matte Deep Blue
  • Central Iowa
    • View Profile
Re: Where do you carry your cell phone?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2021, 09:08:18 PM »
First, If you phone is in a chest pocket it is incredibly UNlikely that it would be driven into your heart. It would have to be really twisted around and aimed perfectly for that to happen.

I ride with full gear including armored riding over pants with zippered pockets. When I ride locally I keep the phone in one of those zippered pant pockets.
I also wear a full faced helmet with a Sena communicator BT connected to my phone when I ride just for those emergency calls. When I travel I use my phone with Google Maps as my GPS and put the phone in a phone holder on the top center of my dash. I have a Pixel 4 that has the same water proof rating as any dedicated GPS unit so not worried about rain. If I go down and need to make a call I can use my Sena to make that call through my phone.

So my phone is either secured in a zippered pants pocket or securely mounted in the holder on my bike.
/bob
2022 Kymco AK 550 Super Touring Extreme in Matte Deep Blue
RETIRED - US Navy and Air National Guard and civilian career

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2021, 09:49:09 AM »
A real belt & braces approach that Bob! (As we say over here.)

Mine is invariably in my jeans pocket when on the scooter and sometimes in a tank bag when riding the Trumpet. Always worry about that though as like you Stig, I fret about being thrown away from the machine in the event of an off?  I do, however, activate an app we have here called RealRider which notifies the emergency services automatically in the event of a crash.  Fortunately never used in anger so far...
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2021, 11:09:45 AM »
Simple old folding phone---always front pants pocket.    I am into riding, not phoning.

rjs987

• 2022 Kymco AK 550 - Matte Deep Blue
  • Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2021, 12:18:51 PM »
Simple old folding phone---always front pants pocket.    I am into riding, not phoning.

I actually do agree with this. I never use the phone unless my wife is calling (that's always an emergency) and if I do ever have to call someone I pull over and take off my helmet anyway to do so.
My Sena is an older unit and I usually always ride solo so GPS directions are the only reason to have it. Before I used my phone for that I did have an old Garmin GPS that did not have BT so didn't hear spoken directions anyway. So when this Sena unit stops working I'll likely just not replace it and go back to not having a communicator at all. Then my GPS directions will be by seeing the turns like it used to be (one reason for having that unit located top center of the dash... so I can see it and also see the road without loosing sight of either). I may also return to simply knowing where I'm going... or not just for fun  ;)
/bob
2022 Kymco AK 550 Super Touring Extreme in Matte Deep Blue
RETIRED - US Navy and Air National Guard and civilian career

NomadCF

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2021, 06:49:06 PM »
My phone is either in the mount on above the dash, in one of the glove boxes, in the seat or in pocket. It all really depends on how lazy I'm feeling. I prefer it in it's mount as I like having access to my GPS/maps all the time. But if I'm going for just simple before dawn or night run. Then it ends up where ever was the last place I put it..... Which from time to time is at home... in the garage.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()