Author Topic: New 2022 Kymco AK 550  (Read 8264 times)

Clampett

• Uncle Jed
    • View Profile
    • My Maps
Re: New 2022 Kymco AK 550
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2021, 05:45:58 PM »
Not the same here:
.6X1000=600 mile first oil change. Every 3k miles thereafter.

rjs987

• 2022 Kymco AK 550 - Matte Deep Blue
  • Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2021, 10:25:21 PM »
Rode the AK out to the county DOT office to get it registered and titled. Wasn't sure if the State would charge me tax based on the actual purchase price or deduct the trade-in allowance and tax that amount. Different states work it differently. Turns out that Iowa deducts the trade allowance first and then calculates tax on the balance. For some really strange reason, or perhaps governmental convoluted calculating, they set the purchase price somewhat less than the actual purchase price even though it was plainly stated on the purchase agreement. So the State thinks I was charged the purchase price of $10199 less the trade value of $4200 and charged me tax based on $5999. Yet I wrote the check for the balance for $6000. Oh well, I was fine with paying tax on a slightly lower amount.

OK, now I divulged all my secret details of my purchase. But not all. I did get the Kymco promotional discount of $250 off any Kymco product 250 cc or bigger. That promotion goes to the Dec 31, 2021.

This trip was a 29 miles round trip. I did discover that if I set the navigation start point to a building or someplace not actually ON the road then the Noodoe nav system will continually attempt to route me directly to that point... off road! So I recalculated the route to start at my currently location and all worked out really well.

At the county vehicle registration office.

In Iowa when buying a new vehicle within 30 days of selling a previous one I can simply transfer the existing plate over to the new vehicle. That is what I did... for now. I am considering possibly getting a personalized license plate for my AK. Maybe when it's time to renew registration.

The colors of the default plate don't do justice to the lovely Matte Deep Blue of my AK 550. But I think a blacked out plate with white lettering will work better.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2021, 10:53:49 PM by rjs987 »
/bob
2022 Kymco AK 550 Super Touring Extreme in Matte Deep Blue
RETIRED - US Navy and Air National Guard and civilian career

jermwars

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2021, 10:50:11 PM »
The colors of the default plate don't do justice to the lovely Matte Deep Blue of my AK 550. But I think a blacked out plate with white lettering will work better.[/size][/font][/color]

I think its the best looking skewter EVER. But ive a little bias at this point.
22' KymCo AK550
07' Yamaha Majesty YP400

rjs987

• Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2021, 01:13:20 AM »
Not the same here:
.6X1000=600 mile first oil change. Every 3k miles thereafter...

ACTUALLY...
You are partly right.
The first oil change per the USA user manual is at 600 miles. Second oil change at 3000 miles. Third oil change at 6000 miles.
Then it becomes much more reasonable with all subsequent oil changes every 6000 miles after that third oil change.

Filter changes happen as follows:
First change at 600 miles. Second filter change at 6000 miles. All subsequent filter changes every 6000 miles after that.

Oil screen is checked at the first oil change. And then the oil screen is checked and/or replaced as needed at every oil change.

I was initially thinking that I would very much prefer to do oil changes every 6000 miles similar to what I was doing with my Burgman and other bikes before that. But since only the first 3 oil changes are at short interval and then longer 6000 miles intervals after that I'll likely stick to the schedule... especially during warranty.

The CVT belt is scheduled to be replaced at 12,000 miles and there is no scheduled inspection of it before that. I would expect that belt would last even beyond that mileage but will see the condition on the scheduled interval.

Attached is a pdf screen clip of the service schedule for the USA. I couldn't see all of the clip that Clampett posted until I figured out I had to scroll sideways to see all of it.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2021, 01:17:03 AM by rjs987 »
/bob

Clampett

• Uncle Jed
    • View Profile
    • My Maps
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2021, 02:40:26 AM »
<snip>
The first oil change per the USA user manual is at 600 miles. Second oil change at 3000 miles. Third oil change at 6000 miles.
Then it becomes much more reasonable with all subsequent oil changes every 6000 miles after that third oil change.
<snip>

Yep, plain as day and I still said it wrong. Good catch. Thanks.

rjs987

• Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2021, 02:44:11 AM »
Yep, plain as day and I still said it wrong. Good catch. Thanks.

Just keeping you on your toes. I'm sure you'd do the same for me... please.  ::)
/bob

jermwars

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2021, 09:04:54 PM »

ACTUALLY...
You are partly right.

Filter changes happen as follows:
First change at 600 miles. Second filter change at 6000 miles. All subsequent filter changes every 6000 miles after that.

Oil screen is checked at the first oil change. And then the oil screen is checked and/or replaced as needed at every oil change.

I was initially thinking that I would very much prefer to do oil changes every 6000 miles similar to what I was doing with my Burgman and other bikes before that. But since only the first 3 oil changes are at short interval and then longer 6000 miles intervals after that I'll likely stick to the schedule... especially during warranty.

The CVT belt is scheduled to be replaced at 12,000 miles and there is no scheduled inspection of it before that. I would expect that belt would last even beyond that mileage but will see the condition on the scheduled interval.

Attached is a pdf screen clip of the service schedule for the USA. I couldn't see all of the clip that Clampett posted until I figured out I had to scroll sideways to see all of it.

I just got doing the 3k mile change...went ahead and replaced the filter because i changed the first one so early...just wanted to be sure i was rid of all the micro debris. There actually was a little bit in the oil screen.

The TERRIBLE dealer service department must have mistaken the oil filter for a lug nut because it was just CRANKED on...so much so that the rubber was crushed and it was leaking very slightly...AND they had the oil way way overfilled as it turns out...i hadnt really looked at the dipstick all that close because i just assumed it was correct but it was filled all the way to the top notch...i went ahead and put in the amount stated in the manual and it landed right in the middle of the stick at the indicated mark.

Plus they didnt put one of the little plastic fasteners back in...its not there anyway.

Just awful. Never letting them touch it again unless its a warranty call

22' KymCo AK550
07' Yamaha Majesty YP400

jermwars

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2021, 09:06:45 PM »
went ahead and ordered this little tool today since ill obviously never get any help from service...looks like it makes the whole process pretty simple

https://www.easyboost.fr/en/maxiscooter/66-easyboost-variator-torque-drive-tools-for-kymco-ak-550-3770007214706.html
22' KymCo AK550
07' Yamaha Majesty YP400

rjs987

• Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2021, 09:27:18 PM »
went ahead and ordered this little tool today since ill obviously never get any help from service...looks like it makes the whole process pretty simple

https://www.easyboost.fr/en/maxiscooter/66-easyboost-variator-torque-drive-tools-for-kymco-ak-550-3770007214706.html

I've been considering that tool also. $126.46 incl shipping right now. Shipping to the USA is half the cost of the tool itself. Keep in mind that the video leaves out a lot of the process of removing the panels and a few other details.
/bob

rjs987

• Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2021, 10:38:20 PM »
Spent the day yesterday re-arranging the garage to be able to park both cars inside instead of one forced to sit in the driveway. During warmer months the Corolla sits outside while half of the garage is filled with garden and yard work supplies and "stuff" as well as both my wife's and my scooters are parked there. During cold months to prevent the need to scrape ice off windows we put away all the garden and lawn stuff and bring the snow thrower to the front on one side putting away my wife's scooter for the season and make room for the Corolla to fit in yet also allow me to easily get my scooter out for a ride when I want. We only have an extended 2 car garage so that becomes a trick sometimes but I've managed to figure it out each year. With the technology in this scooter using the battery more than other, more archaic, scooters do even while parked I plug in the battery maintainer more often than I normally would. It doesn't constantly use battery but just a bit more than any other bike I've owned. If I turn off BT on my phone and put the keyless fob in a Faraday pouch the AK doesn't keep trying to find me nor connect to my phone so that helps preserve battery power.

Here is my new AK 550 tucked into it's winter parking spot ready to back out when the whim strikes. It looks tight but it does easily fit past the Rav4 to get out of the garage.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2021, 10:42:40 PM by rjs987 »
/bob

jermwars

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2021, 11:27:55 PM »

Here is my new AK 550 tucked into it's winter parking spot ready to back out when the whim strikes. It looks tight but it does easily fit past the Rav4 to get out of the garage.

Beautiful...life is gooood.
22' KymCo AK550
07' Yamaha Majesty YP400

rjs987

• Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2021, 01:04:40 AM »
My dealer put the Battery Tender pigtail into the right glove box. I'm OK with that for now. I have a SAE to 12vdc socket adapter I can use on it and plan to order a Battery Tender SAE to USB adapter as well for an extra USB connection. Then I'll have one in the left glove box and one in the right glove box.

While I was in the mood I removed the windshield and the front top cover to see what the amp rating is on the battery tender pigtail the dealer installed for me. 7.5 amps. IOW, the standard fuse for battery tender. I found and saved a pigtail in my Amazon list with a 15 amp fuse. The wire in the standard pigtail might be able to handle 15 amps but not totally positive so I'll be changing that out. My mini compressor needs a 15 amp fuse. I also will be buying a new Battery Tender Plus, 1.25 amp, 6v or 12v. I'll use the new BT+ on the AK and use my old maintainer for the John Deere and the Metropolitan... switching off every few weeks between those two. My old one is an AccuMate battery maintainer I bought when I had my Gold Wing back in 2004. It's still working as advertised.

Oh, and since I removed the windshield I put back in the upper position for the cooler months coming along now. Was very easy to do all this. No need to remove the front top cover to move the shield. But it does need to come off to get at the battery which is located up there just in front of the instrument panels, or the fuse box which clips on top the battery. That front top cover has 2 small screws and 2 plastic rivets to take out then simply pull it straight forward, in a motion parallel to the ground, to unlatch the clips and hooks around the perimeter and it pulls right off. Putting it back on is the reverse and it snaps right on after lining up the hooks and clips. The shield bracket screws and shield screws do have a torque value but I didn't use the torque wrench. The brackets are hard heavy plastic so just very tight is good for those. The shield screws go through rubber grommets as with all shield screws on any bike so very snug on those. The steps and pics are very clear in the owners manual on relocating the shield up or down so no real need for pics on that.
/bob

rjs987

• Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2021, 09:35:22 PM »
At least you know you dont really need to order one until you need it. Or heck, you can borrow mine :D

Just how far would I have to ride to go get it? If I need it I won't likely be riding however, so that would mean YOU would be riding to me to bring it here.  ;D

(central Iowa here)  ;)
/bob

jermwars

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2021, 06:51:06 PM »

Hi rjs987 Congratulations on the new bike; it's a real beauty. I hope this doesn't mean you will leave the Burgman Forum.
Here in Taiwan they recommend 1st oil change at 300km on new bike and then every 5000km thereafter; it's probably the same everywhere. More often is not going to hurt; I have the oil changed on my Kymco Racing King every 1000km; I do ride it hard though.
 See you on the other side, the Burgman forum that is.

I was surprised by the frequency of oil/oil filter changes recommended...same for the air filter!!

NOTICE
? Air Filter Cartridge made of paper is used. Clean the Cartridge every
2000 km.
? Replace with a new Air Filter Cartridge every 5000km.

Thats from the service manual WHBAK550.pdf and it seems absolutely EXTREME!! Ive was cleaning it at that interval but its pointless. I have yet to get even the slightest puff of dust when i blow it out.

Im thinking these recommendations are for places with less pavement on the average commute or something :D
22' KymCo AK550
07' Yamaha Majesty YP400

rjs987

• Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 12, 2021, 07:53:30 PM »
I was surprised by the frequency of oil/oil filter changes recommended...same for the air filter!!

NOTICE
? Air Filter Cartridge made of paper is used. Clean the Cartridge every
2000 km.
? Replace with a new Air Filter Cartridge every 5000km.

Thats from the service manual WHBAK550.pdf and it seems absolutely EXTREME!! Ive was cleaning it at that interval but its pointless. I have yet to get even the slightest puff of dust when i blow it out.

Im thinking these recommendations are for places with less pavement on the average commute or something :D

First, that service manual is based on earlier models in Europe or in Taiwan.
The USA service schedule per the owner manual is much better for interval miles. First oil change at 600 miles, then 3000 miles, then 6000 miles and every 6000 miles after that. That's not so extreme and is actually still common for most bikes in the USA. The air filter inspection is every 6000 miles but replace is at every 12,000 miles. Not bad really.
/bob

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()