Author Topic: Am I mistaken? The 550 priced same as Forza 750??  (Read 1024 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Am I mistaken? The 550 priced same as Forza 750??
« on: November 05, 2021, 04:33:03 PM »
The Kymco 550 and the new Honda Forza 750 - are they really both priced right at £10,000 in the U.K. ?!

I love my Kymco - but if a larger Honda was priced the same......!!

Surely, Kymco is not going head to head on price with the known quality, and customer care, parts, & service of Honda in England?!

Stig

« Last Edit: November 05, 2021, 04:54:24 PM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

rjs987

• 2022 Kymco AK 550 - Matte Deep Blue
  • Central Iowa
    • View Profile
Re: Am I mistaken? The 550 priced same as Forza 750??
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2021, 06:16:23 PM »
If that is the case I think it is really more likely that Honda is trying to undercut the price of the AK 550 to take over the market. Honda has deep enough pockets they can under price something, for a little while, just to build a market for it.

I'd be tempted to look at the Forza 750 IF it were an option over here in the States, but it's not. Besides, in spite of how chain drives are not nearly as bad as they once were I still have a desire to avoid them. I know it's not logical but it is what it is. And if you think the AK 550 has less underseat storage than many other super scooters did you notice that the Forza only has 22L of storage? That's smaller yet. I haven't read the official storage space for the Kymco AK but I would guess it's closer to 40-45L. It is more motorcycle than scooter, even more than the AK is since it is based on the X-Adv which was based on the NC750 motorcycle. Has a higher step over. Shorter foot boards. Barely higher HP and slightly lower Torque so really not more powerful at all. Depends on the throttle bodies if it can out perform the AK, but with a fixed gear DCT compared with a CVT it may only be able to launch from a stop just a little tiny bit faster but lag behind overall.
(if HP and Torque are so close so as to be equivalent then engine size has less to do with the equation and only gains a little top end speed, once it gets there, IME).
The Forza front wheel may be 17 inch but the rear is the same 15 inch as any other good maxi scooter. And the gas tank at 13.2L is smaller than gas tank on the AK at 15L, depending who you read (some reviews put the AK tank at 12.5L but the Kymco UK web site still says 15L)... but definitely smaller than the USA version gas tank which is 15L. And the seat height is little taller too by about 1/4 inch.

The Forza 750 shows as £10,099 on the Honda UK web site and the AK 550 shows as £9899 on the Kymco UK web site.

So it was tempting to look at but didn't make my short list. Not even close. It's a nice ride to be sure, just didn't make my personal list in the end even if it were available here.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2021, 06:19:03 PM by rjs987 »
/bob
2022 Kymco AK 550 Super Touring Extreme in Matte Deep Blue
RETIRED - US Navy and Air National Guard and civilian career

Ball Four

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2021, 09:35:13 PM »
If that is the case I think it is really more likely that Honda is trying to undercut the price of the AK 550 to take over the market. Honda has deep enough pockets they can under price something, for a little while, just to build a market for it.

I'd be tempted to look at the Forza 750 IF it were an option over here in the States, but it's not. Besides, in spite of how chain drives are not nearly as bad as they once were I still have a desire to avoid them. I know it's not logical but it is what it is. And if you think the AK 550 has less underseat storage than many other super scooters did you notice that the Forza only has 22L of storage? That's smaller yet. I haven't read the official storage space for the Kymco AK but I would guess it's closer to 40-45L. It is more motorcycle than scooter, even more than the AK is since it is based on the X-Adv which was based on the NC750 motorcycle. Has a higher step over. Shorter foot boards. Barely higher HP and slightly lower Torque so really not more powerful at all. Depends on the throttle bodies if it can out perform the AK, but with a fixed gear DCT compared with a CVT it may only be able to launch from a stop just a little tiny bit faster but lag behind overall.
(if HP and Torque are so close so as to be equivalent then engine size has less to do with the equation and only gains a little top end speed, once it gets there, IME).
The Forza front wheel may be 17 inch but the rear is the same 15 inch as any other good maxi scooter. And the gas tank at 13.2L is smaller than gas tank on the AK at 15L, depending who you read (some reviews put the AK tank at 12.5L but the Kymco UK web site still says 15L)... but definitely smaller than the USA version gas tank which is 15L. And the seat height is little taller too by about 1/4 inch.

The Forza 750 shows as £10,099 on the Honda UK web site and the AK 550 shows as £9899 on the Kymco UK web site.

So it was tempting to look at but didn't make my short list. Not even close. It's a nice ride to be sure, just didn't make my personal list in the end even if it were available here.

What he said. A very happy AK owner here.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2021, 11:07:50 PM »
I expect that both of these scoots have been thoroughly vetted and will be a joy for the owner of each. From what I read in the U.K. the Honda is not being received as anything but an "expensive" vehicle....and certainly it is not portrayed as undercutting anything.

Perhaps I'm wrong - but my impression is that Americans buy Kymco scooters because
#1) they are less expensive than a scooter from from one of the big 4 Japanese, or Italian companies.
#2) and are reliable & pretty well made for their price point.

Maybe Kymco has reached the point in the U.K. where they are considered, $ for $ - equal quality to one of the big 4 Japanese, or Italian, brands.
Kymco has done nothing to build a market like that here in the States. Many shops won't touch a Kymco, here.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Clampett

• Uncle Jed
    • View Profile
    • My Maps
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2021, 02:26:13 AM »
The biggest problem with Kymco is the distributor here in the states. I have friends in Greece and the Philippines that love the Kymco brand.
Their service is right on par with Honda. But here in the states, the distributor lacks in communications as well as being a bit slim on staffing.

I learned about Kymco after discovering they made many parts for other manufacturers like Honda and BMW.
Seems there quality is good enough for the big dogs, so probably just as good for their own.

I bought the AK because I wanted it. After my purchase of the Xciting 400i, I knew I was going to purchase another Kymco if I could.
This is my 31st bike. 7 were Gold Wings. 7 were Maxi Scooters. The rest were cruisers.
I didn't dicker on the price. I just went in, pointed at the AK when a salesman finally asked me what I wanted. I just asked for the price and said ok.
Funny thing was, after I didn't try to negotiate, he knocked off $500 anyway. (Eric @ Max Motorsports in Pelham Al. I'll be back!!!).

Yeah, I'm messing up the lines of the bike. I've added a top case, got a windshield accessory mount, and the GPS is on my left handlebar.
This is also the first scooter I've not replaced the OEM windscreen after the ride home. I'm a happy camper (for now. Still wanting to get the Forza 350 I think).

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2021, 09:48:38 AM »
Would like to add my five cents.
Here in Italy, to say it cautiousely, a lot of people are on the verge of poverty. Even if politicians, media and guys themselves pretend otherwise.
COVID 19 is still not digested completely, and will take some more years.

Not many people are able like @rjs987 or @Clampett to do a phone call/walk in to fix a price of around $10.000,- for  a new "scooter", which in the AK 550 or similar HONDA case is a fun item.

That's why, KYMCO and other less expensive brands  are choosen for daily commuting and even as a sole means of transport.

That's why, most of the people here choose small engines, for fuel economy, lower taxes and insurance fees.
Citizen simply don't have money to spend as before.
In our age group it's already easier, we just saving for our heirs, if we spend a couple of thousand, so what? But for the younger generation here it's a question of survival.

On the other hand has to do a little bit with our countries foreign policy too. Since Italy had years and years a more liberal and amical trading policy towards Asia in general, US of A only lately opened a bit more for this issue. This might have influenced big Asian shots to invest in dealership too.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2021, 10:00:57 AM by Ruffus »
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()