Author Topic: What is this tube?  (Read 673 times)

bxc

• View Profile
What is this tube?
« on: November 05, 2021, 11:27:57 PM »
Hi all - I'm brand-new to this forum, and I've been enjoying your posts. I was wondering if the great Kymco hive mind could help me solve a mystery. My wife just bought a used Kymco Like 200i (2012). I removed the seat today to take a look inside, and I saw that a tube was disconnected. That was a concerning thing to discover inside a used scooter, but I confess I don't know what this tube is for or where it should be connected. I'd love to fix this asap.

Does anyone have any ideas? Photo attached. I have circled the other end of the tube.

Thanks, everyone.

Togger

• View Profile
Re: What is this tube?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2021, 11:32:20 PM »
I think it connects to a flux capacitor which is also missing. ;)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2021, 12:05:52 AM »
Fuel spill tube to carry it away. Drains out below the engine.
Fuel collects in that cup if you mess up refueling  :)
Route it below the scooter so spilled fuel goes on pavement.
Stig
« Last Edit: November 06, 2021, 12:10:47 AM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2021, 12:22:01 AM »
Curious....
How many miles on the scooter?
Was it being used regularly, or had it been sitting?
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2021, 12:26:20 AM »
Sorry. Forgot my manners...so excited to see a LIKE200i post - they're so reliable!
Anyway...Welcome to the forum!
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2021, 08:35:11 AM »
@bxc, welcome to the club..
Good to read about a "new" LIKE rider! Here's a lot of people who will try to suport in case of questions.
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

bxc

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2021, 11:23:11 PM »
Re: Major Tom - thanks for solving this mystery for me! The scooter has 2200 miles on it. It was barely ridden by the last two owners. Does anything look concerning to you in the photo?

@Ruffus - thanks, what a great community!

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2021, 12:37:09 AM »
Re: Major Tom - thanks for solving this mystery for me! The scooter has 2200 miles on it. It was barely ridden by the last two owners. Does anything look concerning to you in the photo?

@Ruffus - thanks, what a great community!
No, no concerns seen in your photo.
Limited running over the past 9 years might be an issue IF it is not currently running perfectly.
We have had 2 or 3 cases of the short fuel line in the tank simply rotting from sitting in old fuel much too long due to inactivity.
It manifests itself by very poorly running engines,  or no start engines. The rotted line clogs the injector.
Most owners do not report this problem.
If she's running good, no need to worry.
The LIKE200i is one of the most trouble free Kymco scooters! :)
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

bxc

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2021, 01:44:35 AM »
Ah, interesting re: rotted fuel line.

Well, the scooter runs but I can't say it's *perfect.* I've owned three scooters in the past and this one feels like it's kind of "choking" sometimes when you dethrottle. It's hard to describe. I'm guessing it needs a new air filter - the previous owner definitely neglected it - so I ordered a new one. Open to any other thoughts, though.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2021, 02:12:46 AM »
Air filters stay pretty darn clean on this bike for some reason.  Maybe where fresh air snorkel is located.
Www.cyclepedia.com sells a manual for the LIKE200i. All years are same, 'cept paint colors.
Valves at those miles are probably OK.
A new Ngk Iridium sparkplug is about $8.
CR7HIX. ,#7544 at autoparts store. Most can overnight one.
And an oil chsnge?!

Stig
« Last Edit: November 07, 2021, 02:23:44 AM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2021, 09:19:03 AM »
@bxc, second what Stig writes.
Since I had recently (though on way higher milage) two times (on different KYMCO scooters) destroyed gear bearings and oil seals,
(need not neccessarely to be on your LIKE too)
 I would recommend, due to age and maybe unknown service history, to change gear oil (180ml of NON hypoid 70W-90) any brand.
Change of brake fluid (DOT 4) might be good to, IF not done recently.

If you technically inclined, take those two 12 mm muffler nuts off (cylinderhead-pipe), put copper paste on it to avoid later troubles WHEN you HAVE to take them off.

Don't know how good your tires are, but if you change the rear tire, change the bearing within the sidearm too, goes at once and costs little.

Take your battery out (footrest area) and clean terminals, fuses and put some silicone grease on connectors.

Otherwise as Stig wrote, a real flawless and beautiful scooter.
Best regards from Italy.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2021, 09:39:05 AM by Ruffus »

bxc

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2021, 04:15:52 AM »
@Ruffus thanks for these suggestions. I changed the gear oil and ordered some brake fluid.

I also ordered some tires and I'm going to order the replacement bearings, per your suggestion. Do you know what size I'm supposed to order? I checked the manual and it does not specify the bearing size.

Hope you had a great Thanksgiving.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2021, 02:05:17 PM »
@Ruffus thanks for these suggestions. I changed the gear oil and ordered some brake fluid.

I also ordered some tires and I'm going to order the replacement bearings, per your suggestion. Do you know what size I'm supposed to order? I checked the manual and it does not specify the bearing size.

Hope you had a great Thanksgiving.
I wouldn't worry about bearings at this point in your mileage - unless you feel, see or hear something you don't like.
Put the new tires and new airfilter on and then put some miles on it to see if the slight running issue you describe goes away. Spin a new Iridium NGK spark plug in.....and ride it!
No, I wouldn't put it in the fast lane on your interstate at this point - not until it proves itself to you as a good runner on back roads - it has sat too long with too little use....but Kymco's are made of good stuff, to work & live in 3rd world countries, etc.
The LIKE200i is one of Kymco's hardiest, most reliable models in the entire line....There might be fewer things needing replacement than you, or some of us,  imagine.

Stig

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2021, 06:41:20 PM »
@bcx, this wheel carrier bearing is
 17x40x12  6203 2RS  standard size.

Even it's under normal circumstances (scoot ridden all the time, and not parked long time) I would check this bearing and on the lightest doubt replace.

'Cause, if this bearing fails it affects this outer drive bearing within gear. This again kills this small needle bearing in the gear. Had recently this issue.

(pls see link)
https://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=31780.msg222844#msg222844

bxc

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2021, 04:38:07 PM »
Thanks for all your suggestions. Yesterday I found time to replace the spark plug with the iridium plug that Stig recommended. I gave it a test ride and it feels good. I then realized I never measured the gap of the new plug before doing the install. Bunch of literature out there says I was supposed to do this. Did you guys even bother?

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()