Author Topic: Local KymCo service center  (Read 1439 times)

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
Re: Local KymCo service center
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2021, 01:54:29 PM »
No big deal.
1. Fill it if you drain it.
2. Use new fluid.
3. Do 1 & 3 often.

Your warranty is good if you do your own maintenance. Keep a record. Some say keep receipts. I know of ONE VALID warranty issue but it took six months to convince the dealer to actually do anything. Two year warranty with Kymco is meaningless if the dealer won't honor it. Don't worry. These have proven to be better made than most Rolls-Royce! Well, maybe better than most Bentleys. Well,  you get the idea! I have had four Kymco bikes, wife on her second and NONE required warranty.

Can only vouch for Kymco UK Karl, but no complaints here re Warranty work!  See https://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=31865.0
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

jermwars

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2021, 02:58:39 PM »
So, ya...thats a little more like what i was expecting.

Its just the garbage service center im dealing with and the worthless POS behind the counter.

SOME of the things people say about Texas are true.
22' KymCo AK550
07' Yamaha Majesty YP400

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2021, 03:48:18 PM »

SOME of the things people say about Texas are true.

What?  Like you get the biggest of everything?  Even worthless POS?
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

jermwars

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2021, 06:50:01 PM »
What?  Like you get the biggest of everything?  Even worthless POS?

Ya. Something like that. :D

When i think of what Hollywood thinks a "good ole' boy" service center guy is...i kinda come up with this guy.

Bear in mind, im purebred midwestern dirt farmer so i mean no condescension of rurality...but some stereotypes about the south (or more precisely the southeast) exist for a reason.

That being said, I love Texas.

22' KymCo AK550
07' Yamaha Majesty YP400

jermwars

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2021, 06:54:47 PM »
No big deal.
1. Fill it if you drain it.
2. Use new fluid.
3. Do 1 & 3 often.

Your warranty is good if you do your own maintenance. Keep a record. Some say keep receipts. I know of ONE VALID warranty issue but it took six months to convince the dealer to actually do anything. Two year warranty with Kymco is meaningless if the dealer won't honor it. Don't worry. These have proven to be better made than most Rolls-Royce! Well, maybe better than most Bentleys. Well,  you get the idea! I have had four Kymco bikes, wife on her second and NONE required warranty.

Ive been looking into known issues with KymCo over the years and looking for people having bad experiences and they are remarkably hard to find! Far more so than the other major brands...that leads me to believe that either there simply arent that many issues with the bikes or there just arent as many of them out there...or possibly everyone why buys them dont post in English so i dont get the search hits :D

Could be all of those things maybe
22' KymCo AK550
07' Yamaha Majesty YP400

Togger

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2021, 07:34:37 PM »
Ive been looking into known issues with KymCo over the years and looking for people having bad experiences and they are remarkably hard to find! Far more so than the other major brands...that leads me to believe that either there simply arent that many issues with the bikes or there just arent as many of them out there...or possibly everyone why buys them dont post in English so i dont get the search hits :D

Could be all of those things maybe

If you can't get work done after ten years, you've got an expensive paperweight. I just found out Vespa won't work on scooters older than 10 years, in my area. That's hurting them in the long run. The scooter scene will be harmed if you can't rely on getting your money's worth from a scooter.

jermwars

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2021, 08:24:44 PM »

If you can't get work done after ten years, you've got an expensive paperweight. I just found out Vespa won't work on scooters older than 10 years, in my area. That's hurting them in the long run. The scooter scene will be harmed if you can't rely on getting your money's worth from a scooter.

I think this came up here somewhere else...and i feel ya!! I became aware of shops unwillingness to work on later models to be a thing when i got my first bike decades ago. So its not just scooters by any means.

Even if a dealer would work on an old bike, the labor rate takes that option out of the equation for most of them. Maybe not the higher end bikes, of course, but for the most part, its cheaper to buy a new old bike than it is to have any type of major repair done at a dealer.

I had a shop close to me quote me $240 to change the back tire on an old Benzhau scooter (Roketa/JCL/Johnway MC-250)

Just not feasible for a $700 bike
22' KymCo AK550
07' Yamaha Majesty YP400

rjs987

• 2022 Kymco AK 550 - Matte Deep Blue
  • Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2021, 09:32:04 PM »
The Kymco dealer where I bought my AK told me they are one of very few mc shops were they actually "FIX" things on a bike. Most dealer shops have mechanics who know how to connect the diagnostic device and that tells them what module to replace so they don't really "FIX" anything but replace bits if dealing with something that may actually be broken. This dealer where I bought said they do "FIX" things and other dealer shops in the area bring stuff to them, especially old bikes. He also said that this is the biggest reason many dealer shops don't work on bikes more than 10 years old... 'cuz the diagnostic devices are updated to only cover 10 years or newer.

Well, that was HIS story. I wouldn't be surprised. I know of a few dealers who do actually fix things and I've seen used bikes often older than 10 years old on their floor.
/bob
2022 Kymco AK 550 Super Touring Extreme in Matte Deep Blue
RETIRED - US Navy and Air National Guard and civilian career

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2021, 11:43:43 AM »
The Kymco dealer where I bought my AK told me they are one of very few mc shops were they actually "FIX" things on a bike. Most dealer shops have mechanics who know how to connect the diagnostic device and that tells them what module to replace so they don't really "FIX" anything but replace bits if dealing with something that may actually be broken. This dealer where I bought said they do "FIX" things and other dealer shops in the area bring stuff to them, especially old bikes. He also said that this is the biggest reason many dealer shops don't work on bikes more than 10 years old... 'cuz the diagnostic devices are updated to only cover 10 years or newer.

Well, that was HIS story. I wouldn't be surprised. I know of a few dealers who do actually fix things and I've seen used bikes often older than 10 years old on their floor.

Sorry to say Bob, but here in Europe we're fast approaching a time where, with type-approval, module swap outs will be all you're legally allowed to do!  After market exhaust? (Muffler) I don't think so soon.  We were born at just the right time I reckon...
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()