Author Topic: Potentially stupid question...  (Read 1639 times)

jermwars

• View Profile
Potentially stupid question...
« on: November 12, 2021, 03:14:37 AM »
Looks like the AK550 wants a Yuasa TTZ12S battery...Seems that the YTZ12S is the sealed AGM version of the TTZ12S.

I like the idea of a sealed battery for some reason.

SURELY it makes no difference if they're the same in every other way...right?
22' KymCo AK550
07' Yamaha Majesty YP400

rjs987

• 2022 Kymco AK 550 - Matte Deep Blue
  • Central Iowa
    • View Profile
Re: Potentially stupid question...
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2021, 03:28:40 AM »
As long as you verify that the CCA, Ah capacity, length/width/height are all the same or better than original so that the battery will perform as well or better and so that it will fit.

ON first glance they look to be the same battery. Both maintenance free AGM batteries. Both the same size and shape. Sealed does not mean they cannot be opened by removing the top. But it does mean they don't leak if set on their sides or even upside down. Both are this way. AGM is why they don't leak almost as much as the case being leak proof (which it really isn't on either battery).
I don't find the TTZ12S listed on the USA Yuasa web site, but only the YTZ12S. And I don't find the YTZ12S on the UK Yuasa web site, but only the TTZ12S. Either one may be available on other web sites but this is what the battery manufacturer web sites show.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2021, 03:42:00 AM by rjs987 »
/bob
2022 Kymco AK 550 Super Touring Extreme in Matte Deep Blue
RETIRED - US Navy and Air National Guard and civilian career

jermwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2021, 03:58:45 AM »
As long as you verify that the CCA, Ah capacity, length/width/height are all the same or better than original so that the battery will perform as well or better and so that it will fit.

ON first glance they look to be the same battery. Both maintenance free AGM batteries. Both the same size and shape. Sealed does not mean they cannot be opened by removing the top. But it does mean they don't leak if set on their sides or even upside down. Both are this way. AGM is why they don't leak almost as much as the case being leak proof (which it really isn't on either battery).
I don't find the TTZ12S listed on the USA Yuasa web site, but only the YTZ12S. And I don't find the YTZ12S on the UK Yuasa web site, but only the TTZ12S. Either one may be available on other web sites but this is what the battery manufacturer web sites show.

I see!! Thank you very much...

While we're at it :D

My voltage indicator is showing about 12.7 when i turn the bike on in the morning...that seems on the low side to me.
Also, it shows about 14.2 with some RPMs. That also seems just a little low.

Both those numbers are well within the noted range in the service manual...and she fires right up and all...Is that about what yours reads?
22' KymCo AK550
07' Yamaha Majesty YP400

mousejunks

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2021, 04:45:50 AM »

My voltage indicator is showing about 12.7 when i turn the bike on in the morning...that seems on the low side to me.

Both those numbers are well within the noted range in the service manual...and she fires right up and all...Is that about what yours reads?

Minimum 12.6V to 13.2V for 100% state of charge so at rest its fine. 14.2V is good because the battery is almost fully charged when riding so there is no need to go to 14.4-14.5V for a bulk charge stage when the battery is low.

If you want to be 100% sure buy a 12V battery tester which can show you the CCA remaining, charge %, internal resistance and expected % life left. Example is attached.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2021, 04:50:48 AM by mousejunks »
'09 Kymco Espresso 150i
'11 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS - 79,500km
'17 Kymco Downtown 350i ABS

rjs987

• 2022 Kymco AK 550 - Matte Deep Blue
  • Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2021, 02:19:50 PM »

I do see those same numbers.

Those are normal numbers for a 12vdc vehicle battery. The higher number is bumped up due to the alternator pumping into the battery so is normal for a battery being charged, higher volts when the battery needs more of a recharge and dropping to the 14.2 when the battery is charged and just maintaining. The time to worry is if the charging voltage is NOT that high. If you only see 12.x volts while you are going down the road... meaning there is over 2500+ rpm... that means the charging system is not working and you will likely see the battery voltage dropping rather than being maintained. But 12.7 vdc at rest is good.
/bob
2022 Kymco AK 550 Super Touring Extreme in Matte Deep Blue
RETIRED - US Navy and Air National Guard and civilian career

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2021, 04:02:51 PM »

My Burgman 400's battery laid on its side. I bought same base-size YUASA and moved up to a 14Ah battery for my nightly winter riding. No problem with leaking batteries on Burgman 400s.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

jermwars

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2021, 08:12:10 PM »
My Burgman 400's battery laid on its side. I bought same base-size YUASA and moved up to a 14Ah battery for my nightly winter riding. No problem with leaking batteries on Burgman 400s.

Stig

is the 12 in YTZ12S 12Ah?
22' KymCo AK550
07' Yamaha Majesty YP400

jermwars

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2021, 08:22:10 PM »

I was being a spaz again...I had seen on their website that the YTZ12S and TTZ12S are not interchangeable. But that doesnt mean the YTZ12S isnt a proper replacement for the TTZ12S. It just means the TTZ12S isnt always a proper replacement for the YTZ12S.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2021, 08:32:59 PM by jermwars »
22' KymCo AK550
07' Yamaha Majesty YP400

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2021, 08:54:50 PM »
Buy a lithium ione battery, those you can mount even upside down. Costs the same and no worries anymore.
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

jermwars

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2021, 10:16:07 PM »
Buy a lithium ione battery, those you can mount even upside down. Costs the same and no worries anymore.

Thought about one of those!! I like the idea of newer tech...you had good luck with them?
22' KymCo AK550
07' Yamaha Majesty YP400

jermwars

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2021, 10:27:38 PM »

Whataya think about this one?

It looks sweet :D

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B091P9QXX7/ref=sr_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=motorcycle+battery&s=automotive&sr=8-7

22' KymCo AK550
07' Yamaha Majesty YP400

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2021, 01:47:48 AM »
I missed something....
Why are you replacing the battery in your new scooter?
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2021, 09:26:46 AM »
Thought about one of those!! I like the idea of newer tech...you had good luck with them?
Bought exacetely this one little bit more than a year ago for a LIKE 200i which I sold in meantime.
Guy who bought the scoot still happy with the scoot and how it starts, etc.

Now a couple of month ago I got a YAGER/DINK 200i and after a few days its battery gave in. So, since I had a good feedback from my LIKEs owner, a Lithium Ione accu came in. Like I wrote, only one year of experience, therefore....

Here this 9amps battery (which is actually a 4.5amps piece) costs with €59,- appr. the same as medium quality AGM.
Cranking is a touch faster in my opinion compared to a Bb battery. But this might depend highly on wireloom and condition of relais and starter itself.

Although I do have a special charger for Li batts,  I do not charge this LiPeo4 battery when the scoot sits unused for a week or more.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2021, 03:15:22 PM by Ruffus »
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2021, 11:43:01 AM »
I missed something....
Stig

A pertinent question…
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

jermwars

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2021, 03:34:07 PM »
I missed something....
Stig

At first i thought the one in it was crapping out already...but now just thinking ahead. Wont pull the trigger till i need to though. Probably should buy one now though with inflation going all Venezuela like it is...(kidding)
22' KymCo AK550
07' Yamaha Majesty YP400

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()