Author Topic: Manual  (Read 993 times)

roxyflash

• View Profile
Manual
« on: November 14, 2021, 06:24:43 PM »
I was checking manuals and found the Kawasaki 300 j manual had more information then the Kymco manual.Still my scooter has a no start at times.When it does that the best way to get it to start is to remove the injector from head pull the plug crank the engine over to clear cylinder then let it sit for awhile.Put injector back in head put plug back in will usually start again.I leave the hose and wire to injector so it won’t throw a code when I pull it out.After reading the 300 j manual it states the tilt sensor cuts the fuel and spark.Wondering if the voltage going tru the tilt sensor is causing a no start .Has any one checked it out when you get a no start.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Manual
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2021, 07:34:14 PM »
Things that will cause a no start when cold (sitting overnight):

1. Marginal battery (less than 10 volts while cranking)
2. Run/stop switch in stop position
3. Run/stop switch malfuncion
4. Side stand down
5. Side stand switch malfunction
6. Plug wire broken or not connected
7. Spark plug fault

How many of these have you checked so far?
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

mousejunks

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2021, 10:29:27 PM »
Kymco knows about this 'flooded engine' issue caused by a wet spark plug.

When starting the scooter, you have to open the throttle at the same time as cranking. This 'purges' or dries the combustion chamber of fuel so you don't get a wet start.
'09 Kymco Espresso 150i
'11 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS - 79,500km
'17 Kymco Downtown 350i ABS

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2021, 12:59:54 AM »
I'm  confused.
Every EFI vehicle I've ever owned started best, cold or hot, if you never touched the throttle.
Stig
« Last Edit: November 15, 2021, 10:51:38 AM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2021, 01:28:22 AM »
Big whoa back! EFI starts: the only things you touch are key on, brakes and start button, in that order. One or two revolutions and it runs unless, UNLESS there is something wrong. THEN you start finding out what is wrong. Stinking of gas after the first couple of tries, maybe then consider the flooded start procedure.

Anything with a carburetor requires a double secret probation process that may involve eastern incantations and virgin sacrifices. These various processes and sequences must be developed by the owner/operator/pilot and no one else. These additionally vary with ambient temperature, elevation, moon phase and are different between cold starts and hot starts.

EFI was invented to cut down profanity...
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

mousejunks

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2021, 06:33:00 AM »
I'm  confused.
Every EFI vehicle I've ever owned started best, cold or hot, if uou never touched the throttle.
Stig

Straight from the service manual (attached).
'09 Kymco Espresso 150i

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2021, 11:02:33 AM »
Straight from the service manual (attached).
Agreed, that is the flooded engine procedure. But owner should not touch throttle during normal starts as this will interfere with the EFI - and cause a hard start.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

mousejunks

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2021, 11:19:55 AM »
Agreed, that is the flooded engine procedure. But owner should not touch throttle during normal starts as this will interfere with the EFI - and cause a hard start.
Stig

The OP is drying the combustion chamber by taking out the injector and spark plug, when there is a simpler way as shown in the manual.
'09 Kymco Espresso 150i

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2021, 09:07:39 PM »
The OP is drying the combustion chamber by taking out the injector and spark plug, when there is a simpler way as shown in the manual.
My question is what is flooding the engine?
Playing with throttle at starts might cause it.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

mousejunks

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2021, 11:00:06 PM »
My question is what is flooding the engine?
Playing with throttle at starts might cause it.
Stig

When the engine is turning over but there is no ignition, so there is excess fuel in the chamber. It can also be caused by turning off the engine when cold.
'09 Kymco Espresso 150i

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2021, 09:10:33 AM »

Anything with a carburetor requires a double secret probation process that may involve eastern incantations and virgin sacrifices. These various processes and sequences must be developed by the owner/operator/pilot and no one else. ....
EFI was invented to cut down profanity...

@Karl, I just love it👍😅
....not to mention lighting of three black cat hair, midnight at full moon only.
But you're right, carburators are tricky, need TCL        (tender caring love) from owners.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2021, 09:12:59 AM by Ruffus »
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2021, 01:32:30 PM »
I'm  confused.
Every EFI vehicle I've ever owned started best, cold or hot, if you never touched the throttle.
Stig

Me too!
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

roxyflash

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2021, 01:01:52 AM »
This scooter has been very unreliable.Third year owning it have set valves replaced batteries upgraded battery to more cranking power plugged in after every ride with a battery maintainer will do good for long time then out of the blue no start.Pull the plug and pull injector crank it to clear cylinder put it back together will run then next time it may or may not start.That’s why I’m wonrdering if tilt sensor is causing the issue plug is always wet has new starter new coil swapped relays the only thing to me is tilt sensor not letting it to fire but I could be wrong I posted this before but if I pull the breather tube it’s like a air compressor blow out air should be like that I think I need to do a compression test like the rings are not sealing.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2021, 05:17:09 AM »
My two DT300i and my wife's GTi300 (same engine trans unit) have been the MMOST reliable scoot we have owned. Your has a problem as yet identified.

Have you checked the things I have previously outlined? Have checked the tilt sensor? Have you closely examined the plug wire and cap? Have you done the compression test yet?

You have a wet plug because it is not firing. Cease cranking if not starting by the second revolution. It is not firing for some reason. Do the tests to rule out possible causes.

What year and how many miles/kms?
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()