Author Topic: Oil change and other random posts unrelated to the conversation thread  (Read 2726 times)

rjs987

• 2022 Kymco AK 550 - Matte Deep Blue
  • Central Iowa
    • View Profile
Re: Oil change for my 2022 Kymco AK 550
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2022, 03:43:11 PM »
if we got upset every time someone altered the subject mid-thread, well, we'd....I'm not sure....because it happens nearly every time!  :D

I guess I'm not accustomed to threads being regularly hijacked on other forums I read. Usually the admin/moderator moves such posts or gently reminds the one doing the hijacking to place posts in threads where... well... the thread follows the subject initially stated. On some forums that I consider very well managed even sometimes a member will remind about not posting something that tends to hijack a thread with a specific subject. That's why it's called a "thread" since the posts contained in it follow an established... thread. There are many many threads that are intended as being open ended for anyone to discuss anything. In those threads hijacking is not possible because there is no specifically established subject/thread to follow. But there are also threads that have pointed intended subjects about some specific thing. Hijacking these threads leads to confusion about what a thread is really all about. And, yes, hijacking a thread IS a thing.

But no worries. Like I said above, I'll try not to post new threads that are not open ended for any kind of discussion here.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2022, 03:45:12 PM by rjs987 »
/bob
2022 Kymco AK 550 Super Touring Extreme in Matte Deep Blue
RETIRED - US Navy and Air National Guard and civilian career

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2022, 05:07:55 PM »
if we got upset every time someone altered the subject mid-thread, well, we'd....I'm not sure....because it happens nearly every time!  :D

Hawk, you get The Spirit of This Forum T-shirt!
Some of us are doing well to remember where we laid the socket wrench during a wheel removal.

My impression is that a stream will wander along a line of community interest... which is the behavior of a casual group of scooter enthusiasts.
Let's stay casual. And participate - especially with photos!
Scooters....even the name is goofy.

Yeah, we're like trying to herd cats, baby!
Stig

T's in the mail.

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

monkeybongos

• Tampa, Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2022, 11:38:55 AM »
This thread has been hijacked by a discussion about hijacking threads.
2014 BV 350  "IndiGO" (fast, strong and tireless)
2006 Honda Rebel 250  "Snow Leopard" (stealthy, agile and durable)
2018 Lance Cali Classic 200i  "Black Panther" (smooth, nimble, quiet and quick)
2016 Wolf V-50 (sold)

Wanted a Kymco, ended up w a Lance, but that forum is inactive, so I am here

rjs987

• Central Iowa
    • View Profile
This thread has been hijacked by a discussion about hijacking threads.

Yep, since it was already hijacked about another subject and that was seen as normal and expected and accepted practice. Once in a rare while is no big deal, but repeating and promoting such or being persistent about it is encouraging chaos.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2022, 02:46:34 PM by rjs987 »
/bob

monkeybongos

• Tampa, Fl
    • View Profile
Agree, rjs987.  Was just trying to make a humorous observation :).
2014 BV 350  "IndiGO" (fast, strong and tireless)
2006 Honda Rebel 250  "Snow Leopard" (stealthy, agile and durable)
2018 Lance Cali Classic 200i  "Black Panther" (smooth, nimble, quiet and quick)
2016 Wolf V-50 (sold)

Wanted a Kymco, ended up w a Lance, but that forum is inactive, so I am here

Mancashire

• NE Ohio B400
    • View Profile
For years every scooter forum I read has been very open and posters were able to respond and take the conversation on a new track. It was frowned upon to totally change the main theme of the thread but a discussion about a particular scooter or manufacturer could easily veer off to a discussion of a farkle was fine. When my wife decided she was not going to ride with me anymore, I sold my bike and turned off all forums. Three years later  I decided I wanted to ride again so seemed out all the old forums I used to read and new ones that appeared to cover subjects I was interested in. In a couple of the new forums, I found what I considered a strange phenomenon whereby one user could create a thread that was dedicated to their topic and their topic only. Others could post comments about the postings but not change or hijack the thread. I learned to take my cue by the subject. When the op stated it was their trip, reclamation project, etc., I took it that only thread-specific comments were appropriate. That said, over the years I have noted that virtually every one of us has posted in the wrong forum area or responded to the wrong thread. I’ve learned over the years that public praise and private criticism goes a long way. And since this is a scooter forum, we should let back to that discussion.

Quick-Star24

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2022, 04:23:44 PM »
Ya. I could skip the oil change this time except i didnt change the oil filter last time and i cant change it this time w/o changing the oil. No biggie.

I mostly just thought changing the coolant and brake fluid already seemed excessively proactive. Especially the brake fluid. Just not sure how either could degrade in such a short amount of time regardless of miles.

Glad you were able to get some action on the hand warmer issue...Pretty sure mine has the same problem

Can I ask what is the Hand Warmer issue? Even though I won't need to try them out for another 5 months or more....

rjs987

• Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2022, 08:07:51 PM »
Can I ask what is the Hand Warmer issue? Even though I won't need to try them out for another 5 months or more....

This is what @jermwars was referring to. I have a separate thread just on that issue that I was having. I ride in some very cold temps during that season so need the heated grips to work well. Especially now that I've sold my heated gloves system since I don't need those with heated grips... right?
https://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=32011.0

Check out the threads on the Kymco AK 550 in the [Technical | How To] sub forum. Lots of good information to be had there. I always start the title of my threads (after the first few) with "Kymco AK 550..." just to better identify them.

Oh, and now I also use Kemimoto handlebar muffs to improve my hand comfort when temps get down close to zero F. I plan to put the muffs on the bars sometime around mid November or early December and should be able to put them away sometime in mid March when temps stay warmer than when I'd need them. Give or take a few weeks depending on the weather of course.
https://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=32123.0
« Last Edit: June 14, 2022, 08:12:37 PM by rjs987 »
/bob

Quick-Star24

• View Profile
 Just changed my oil....
Put oil in until it was at the first circle as BIKETRIPS suggested on Youtube.
I then ran the engine for 3 minutes and checked the level again.
Now it was barely showing on the stick. At the first line on it.
Do I add more until it is back at the first circle again or do I have to check only after running the engine again or what?

Thanks for any help here!

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
Just changed my oil....
Put oil in until it was at the first circle as BIKETRIPS suggested on Youtube.
I then ran the engine for 3 minutes and checked the level again.
Now it was barely showing on the stick. At the first line on it.
Do I add more until it is back at the first circle again or do I have to check only after running the engine again or what?

Thanks for any help here!

I don't think that's unusual Q-S.  I tend to run the scooter under load after putting the oil in then leave things about 30 mins to settle before checking the dip stick.  I'll then typically need to put a bit more in to bring it up to the required level.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()