Author Topic: Oil change and other random posts unrelated to the conversation thread  (Read 2728 times)

rjs987

• 2022 Kymco AK 550 - Matte Deep Blue
  • Central Iowa
    • View Profile
Re: Oil change for my 2022 Kymco AK 550
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2022, 03:40:57 AM »
Coming up on the next oil change interval on my AK 550. This one is the 3000 mile oil change and does not include an oil filter change. The next interval will be at 6000 miles and then it will be every 6000 miles after that with a filter change at every oil change scheduled. As of today my AK is at 2658 miles on the odometer. I have a trip coming up May 11 that will last through May 16 and add close to 1500 miles, give or take depending on how much riding I do while camped. That means it makes sense for me to do this next oil change before I leave on my trip. I might get the odometer over 2700 miles before I do, or I might not. I think it's plenty close enough now but I'll wait and do the job next week. That should give me a ride or two to verify everything is ready to go.
/bob
2022 Kymco AK 550 Super Touring Extreme in Matte Deep Blue
RETIRED - US Navy and Air National Guard and civilian career

Quick-Star24

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2022, 01:05:09 PM »
Hello,
  Was planning on buying an AK 550 in May....but was watching the Youtube channel "BikeTrips" today and it seems he went with a BMW now because he says the AK 550 was unreliable....

This scares me!

Since I don't want to pay Yamaha or Suzuki prices I may have to go with a motorcycle instead of a Maxi scooter.
I know many AK riders love their scooters and may not want to discuss the problems they have with them.....so what to do?

Jeff

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2022, 02:33:13 PM »
Hello,
  Was planning on buying an AK 550 in May....but was watching the Youtube channel "BikeTrips" today and it seems he went with a BMW now because he says the AK 550 was unreliable....

This scares me!

Since I don't want to pay Yamaha or Suzuki prices I may have to go with a motorcycle instead of a Maxi scooter.
I know many AK riders love their scooters and may not want to discuss the problems they have with them.....so what to do?

Jeff
I don't mind making waves....
A motorcycle is a better buy for your $$.
Unless you haul groceries for a living...there are a lot of nice motorcycles out there under $10K.
Get a lot more bike for the $ with a motorcycle, less plastic...and more cc's!!
Stig
« Last Edit: April 27, 2022, 03:00:35 PM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

rjs987

• Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2022, 03:18:10 PM »
I don't mind making waves....
A motorcycle is a better buy for your $$.
Unless you haul groceries for a living...
Get a lot more bike for the $ with a motorcycle...and more cc's!!
Stig

That term "more bike" is subjective. I think any super scooter of 500 cc or more IS "more bike" than almost any motorcycle of possibly even up to 750 cc. So a motorcycle is not a better buy in most cases IMO. I consider my AK to be every bit as much bike as my last several bikes, including my CTX1300, and possibly more. The comfort and performance of a super scooter will match the acceleration and ride comfort on faster roads of most motorcycles with more cc's. When you get into scooters smaller than that then the difference fades and even reverses. I've been on both sides of both circumstances. The storage is part of it but the performance and comfort of the overall bike is a big part of it. Just my own experience. It also depends on what you are really wanting in a bike of any kind. I do occasional grocery hauls, but those are not the primary use. I used to commute as my primary use for a bike and almost any scooter excels at that over almost any motorcycle. I now ride for fun and to travel to camping trips. The camping trips require being able to carry more than will fit in the under seat storage or in saddlebags. My Burgman and AK both are far superior to any motorcycle I've had for that as well. And not on slower county roads but Interstate highways as well. Maintaining 80+ mph on an Interstate highway in comfort is easy on my scooters same as on my bigger motorcycles. All day if I have to but that's not what I prefer for reasons other than what I am riding. I just don't like mixing with the kind of drivers who prefer Interstate highways.

Although a motorcycle does tend to make a better IMPRESSION with other riders in this country much more than any scooter does so if that's what you're after then a motorcycle IS a better buy... for that. And there are a FEW motorcycles with more features than the usual that would make for a better buy... but then those also COST WAY more. So we're back to the super scooter being better.

But this is deviating from the subject of this thread. So back to the "scheduled" program...
I've been watching Walmart shelves for several months to see if they will restock any Rotella T6 oil. That's my preference for full synthetic. They have a place and price label for it but the shelf remains empty. They have a few other Rotella oils but only a few bottles. Like 15W-40 or 20W-50 or even 5W-20, but not what I need. Then I noticed that they do have specific motorcycle oils formulated for different kinds of bikes or power sports equipment. I've used Super Tech brand oil and filters before and was pleased with them. I ended up buying the Super Tech full synthetic 4-stroke motorcycle oil. That's what the label says. They also have oil specifically geared toward cruisers and also for ATVs. The one I bought has a silhouette of a sport bike on it. Bought enough for the next 2 oil changes.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2022, 03:21:57 PM by rjs987 »
/bob

rjs987

• Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2022, 04:42:13 PM »
Had some time today while my grand daughter was off to preschool and my wife was getting her long walk in as well as some shopping. So I decided to get the oil change done. 2669 was on the odometer. This was the 3000 mile service interval but since I'll be half way to northern TN when the odo ticks over to that I decided to get it done before I leave on my trip. I also checked the Timing Belt (final drive belt) and measured the clearance from the retainer ring to the edge of the belt. That ended up being 1.5 mm at the closest so within tolerance. I'll leave it for now. When the the rear tire gets replaced, or when the belt needs to be replaced, I'll adjust it to be more centered on the rear sprocket. The oil level was right at mid level on the dip stick before I started. I like having a dip stick instead of the sight glass. I've had a sight glass on all my bikes except my Gold Wing 16 years ago. After the oil change I added about 2.6 L oil. That's all it takes for just the oil change without an oil filter change. Every oil change after this will be with a filter change as well and that should be 2.7 L. This job is easier on the AK than any other bike. Even though there are 2 engine oil drain plugs (one for the engine side of a small divider inside the reservoir and one for the clutch side), both plugs are on the side of the bottom edge of the engine and easily accessed without removing any panels. There is no final drive oil or "transmission" oil to change as on the Burgman (which I always did at the same time as changing engine oil). I reset the oil mile reading and am all set to go until the next interval at 6000 miles. That will be the last short interval oil change so I'll be able to settle into a 6000 mile oil change interval after that.
/bob

stuo

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2022, 12:16:54 AM »
Brake fluid draws moisture and will cause caliper corrosion and ABS systems to fail if left unchanged too long. A buddy has a business selling used BMW parts; he says he sells a lot of ABS units to BMW owners who don't regularly change brake fluid. I always use a new can when I change mine; once the can has been opened it will start to absorb moisture.

If your caliper sticks, causing the wheel to drag it may well be due to corrosion. I bought a Grandvista with 20K miles and the rear wheel dragged: the caliper was full of corrosion. A new caliper plus a change of fluid solved the problem.
2009 GV 250

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2022, 12:36:24 AM »
We might be the rare few who prefer a dip stick over site windows!
My 400 Burgman had to be off the center stand  rider off the seat kneel in a puddle at the gas station while holding 489lb scooter level with one hand and check that little oil window down there.
Honda CB500X the same.

Crazy.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

rjs987

• Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2022, 12:40:29 AM »
Brake fluid draws moisture and will cause caliper corrosion and ABS systems to fail if left unchanged too long. A buddy has a business selling used BMW parts; he says he sells a lot of ABS units to BMW owners who don't regularly change brake fluid. I always use a new can when I change mine; once the can has been opened it will start to absorb moisture.

If your caliper sticks, causing the wheel to drag it may well be due to corrosion. I bought a Grandvista with 20K miles and the rear wheel dragged: the caliper was full of corrosion. A new caliper plus a change of fluid solved the problem.

Good reminder for another thread. I don't think 6 months is long enough to warrant changing the brake fluid just yet. I do notice that the service schedule calls for doing just that at 6000 miles or 12 months. A bit early miles wise per almost every other bike I've owned but I am always checking it. I'll likely be there by the end of this year so will be looking to replacing that at that time.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2022, 12:57:29 AM by rjs987 »
/bob

stuo

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2022, 09:03:13 PM »
The BMW manual for my R1100RT said two years between brake fluid changes. I think time passed, rather than miles ridden, is the critical factor and brake fluid is very cheap compared to parts replacement. Also cheap is a brake fluid bleeding kit, which makes the job much neater to do; brake fluid is hell on painted surfaces.
2009 GV 250

stuo

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2022, 09:09:53 PM »
Oops! It was my BMW mechanic who preached no more than two years between brake fluid changes. I suspect the manual was more conservative.
2009 GV 250

rjs987

• Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2022, 12:03:54 AM »
Oops! It was my BMW mechanic who preached no more than two years between brake fluid changes. I suspect the manual was more conservative.

You DO realized this thread is about the OIL change on my AK 550 and nothing else?
/bob

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2022, 12:45:43 AM »
Sometimes we are like a conversation over coffee at a sidewalk cafe'......rather than "route-step" dismounted drill.
And that's OK, too.
Participation is encouraged......
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

rjs987

• Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2022, 02:50:53 AM »
Sometimes we are like a conversation over coffee at a sidewalk cafe'......rather than "route-step" dismounted drill.
And that's OK, too.
Participation is encouraged......
Stig

I get that... for the forum as a whole. Sometimes when a thread is about houses and someone throws in a tangent conversation about cars it confuses what the intent is going forward. There is plenty of opportunity to start a new thread or drop in brake fluid posts, or generic service schedule posts, in threads already here where that would be entirely consistent.

I'll try to be more generic about the threads I start.
/bob

stuo

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2022, 03:57:45 AM »
Sorry, RJS. You are right: it's impolite and inappropriate to comment on anything but your contribution. Thank you for the gentle correction. And thank you Stig for your comment.   
2009 GV 250

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2022, 02:44:19 PM »

You DO realized this thread is about the OIL change on my AK 550 and nothing else?

if we got upset every time someone altered the subject mid-thread, well, we'd....I'm not sure....because it happens nearly every time!  :D
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()