Author Topic: Why Are The Best Scooter Deals...  (Read 539 times)

Togger

• View Profile
Why Are The Best Scooter Deals...
« on: November 17, 2021, 12:46:30 AM »
Always way out in the boonies? I live in a major city, but I find the best deals on craigslist or facebook hundreds of miles from me, and it's impractical to see them. It's like people way out from the city appreciate scooters more.

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
Re: Why Are The Best Scooter Deals...
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2021, 08:26:35 PM »
I think those are the best surviving offers due to lower population density, & I've missed out on a couple of them too.
Heck I even was trying to nab a bike in Southern Oregon (from Seattle) but missed it.

Since starting my search for a replacement for my HD200 I've found that stuff goes fast where there's population ATM.
One dealer theorizes folks have lots of spare $$ due to lack of spending it on a trip to Mexico etc. so are trying new things including bikes.

This will probably loosen up in a year or two, but for the nonce it's a bit tough out there.
2008 SYM HD200 "Niwanibiz"
2018 Suzuki Burgman AN650z "Bebaamaadizid"

k9 S200 (Blue) "Max" (Sold)
k8 SYM HD200 "Indigo" (Deceased)
k7 Suzuki Burgman 650 "Ohanzee" (Sold)

rjs987

• 2022 Kymco AK 550 - Matte Deep Blue
  • Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2021, 10:32:50 PM »
Always way out in the boonies? I live in a major city, but I find the best deals on craigslist or facebook hundreds of miles from me, and it's impractical to see them. It's like people way out from the city appreciate scooters more.

I really don't think it's due to people out in the boonies appreciating scooters more. I think it's the opposite. People in metro areas appreciate scooters more since they find them far more useful around town. People in the boonies are the ones who thought they'd try using a scooter and find out they need something bigger than smaller engine scooters for the country distances so more of them are looking to sell them.  ::)
But who really knows?
/bob
2022 Kymco AK 550 Super Touring Extreme in Matte Deep Blue
RETIRED - US Navy and Air National Guard and civilian career

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2021, 02:48:04 PM »

I really don't think it's due to people out in the boonies appreciating scooters more. I think it's the opposite. People in metro areas appreciate scooters more since they find them far more useful around town. People in the boonies are the ones who thought they'd try using a scooter and find out they need something bigger than smaller engine scooters for the country distances so more of them are looking to sell them.  ::)
But who really knows?

Think you may be onto something there Bob.  Anything under 300cc doesn't really cut it for country miles even here in the little ol' UK!  I dumped my PCX 125 for that very reason.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Ex-KLR

• Cumberland County Tennesee
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2021, 04:26:40 PM »
Think you may be onto something there Bob.  Anything under 300cc doesn't really cut it for country miles even here in the little ol' UK!  I dumped my PCX 125 for that very reason.

200 miles on my Like 150i is no problem.
Like 150i ABS

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2021, 06:34:33 PM »
200 miles on my Like 150i is no problem.
"to each his, " etc...
There's a youtube guy who rides his Metropolitan all over the SW out of SoCal. Goes across deserts and camping on it - up into the snow!
He's my small-scoot hero :)

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

mrmike

• Syuracuse, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2021, 06:49:28 PM »
      I think it all depends on location and road types. I had a People 150 For my first scooter, and absolutely loved it. I loved riding the back country road at 30mph with little to no traffic, and lots of scenery. Unfortunately, in my case, you have to navigate busier roads and sometimes interstates to get to the scenery. At 59mph my little 150 was not the ideal machine. I'm on my second 300cc scooter now (2021 X-Town), and it's perfect for me. I can still putter around, but if needed can run 75 or 80 to keep up with traffic.
It's a little heavier, more expensive, and not as good on mileage as the 150, but still pretty easy for me to handle (I'm 77 years old). I think is the perfect fit for me!
Blue '23 People S 150i ABS  Moto Discovery GPS bar, Shad SH33 top case, Iridium spark plug, Black reflective graphics, Battery Tender ring terminal cable, LED tag light.         
Past rides- '73 Honda 450, '00 Harley Softail Deuce, '10 Kymco People 150, '12 Kymco GTI 300, '21 Kymco X-Town 300i ABS

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2021, 11:12:38 AM »
      I think it all depends on location and road types. I had a People 150 For my first scooter, and absolutely loved it. I loved riding the back country road at 30mph with little to no traffic, and lots of scenery. Unfortunately, in my case, you have to navigate busier roads and sometimes interstates to get to the scenery. At 59mph my little 150 was not the ideal machine. I'm on my second 300cc scooter now (2021 X-Town), and it's perfect for me. I can still putter around, but if needed can run 75 or 80 to keep up with traffic.
It's a little heavier, more expensive, and not as good on mileage as the 150, but still pretty easy for me to handle (I'm 77 years old). I think is the perfect fit for me!

As a fellow XT owner, that’s good to hear Mike. Especially as you’re ahead of me by a few years!
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()