Author Topic: Preparing to ride in cold temps  (Read 831 times)

rjs987

• 2022 Kymco AK 550 - Matte Deep Blue
  • Central Iowa
    • View Profile
Preparing to ride in cold temps
« on: November 19, 2021, 09:46:26 PM »
Took some time today to change the end of my heated gloves power harness and put a SAE connector on the end so I can plug in at the SAE connector in the right glove box. This is a temporary solution until I decide on a more permanent one. I am actually hoping handlebar muffs will do the trick together with the heated grips to keep my hands warm down to zero F +/- a little from there. Always looking to simplify what is installed. Fewer points of failure down the road.

The heated grips are great but they really don't do much for my finger tips when temps get close to freezing so don't expect any more from them when temps drop another 32 F lower than that even at the highest heat setting.
/bob
2022 Kymco AK 550 Super Touring Extreme in Matte Deep Blue
RETIRED - US Navy and Air National Guard and civilian career

a99miata

• View Profile
Re: Preparing to ride in cold temps
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2021, 12:42:11 PM »
have you tried Hippo Hands  https://www.hippohands.com/

rjs987

• Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2021, 04:20:53 PM »
have you tried Hippo Hands  https://www.hippohands.com/

Way back in 2006 or 2007 (I think it was the latter) I did try Hippo Hands on my 2005 Burgman 650. I had just come off from riding a Gold Wing and the coldest temps I rode in with the GW were in the low 20sF. The biggest weather protection difference I noted between those two was that on the Burgman my hands were out in the wind and on the GW they were not. So on the Burgman my hands were feeling the cold breeze a lot more and I knew I had to do something.

I knew from many many years before that how those were the best to be found for handlebar muffs. That's what Hippo Hands are... one brand of many handlebar muffs.

Anyway, the very first day I tried those was on my morning commute to work, about 6:30 am, and the temp was the coldest I had been in while riding up to then at -5F. My hands were still frozen. Turns out the only set of HH I could find were the "newer style" that had a lot of open seams and the air just streamed through them like they were mesh. That ride convinced me to go with the heated gloves and the HH were immediately returned.

Now I am finding there are a great many options for handlebar muffs or mitts to be had. Back then there was only the HH and one or two others to be found. Now there seem to be many dozens, some of the same ones sold with different "brand names" applied to them from different sources. The Hippo Hands of today look to be a LOT better than what I had used 15 years ago, but they also cost a LOT more. Just a few days ago I decided on a set of handlebar mitts that cost 1/5 what the typical HH costs so will see how those work out. If they don't do the trick I'll more likely stick with my heated gloves since those have kept my hands warm down below -15F with no issues.

Of course using my heated gloves means installing the harness more permanently than it is now installed. Something I am hoping I don't really have to do. So far the only issue I've found having both the heated gloves and heated grips turned on is that the grip heat sensor seems to detect more heat than allowed, thanks to the gloves contributing, and they issue a fault indication and turn off. So if the handlebar muffs don't work out to my satisfaction and I end up sticking with using my heated gloves for those temps below around 20-25F then I'll simply not turn on the heated grips while the glove heat is turned on. Hands are warm either way. Grip heat only down to about 20-25F and then glove heat only below that.

To be honest the only reason I want to try the handlebar muffs is that they are a passive solution that I hope will work to keep my hands warm with the integrated grip heat already on the AK so no need to install something else electrical to do that job. Adding electrical stuff to my bikes is easy for me. Very closely related to what my career was before I retired. But I don't like to modify what the factory provided any more than I have to. Things work better that way.
/bob

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2021, 09:59:59 AM »
If you do go with the muffs Bob, do let us know as I’ve been toying with getting some too.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

jemo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2022, 03:34:01 PM »
On a similar note, has anyone found any universal handguards that work on the AK?  I know Puig has some but they're $150 and universal.  Anyone tried something from ebay or Amazon?

rjs987

• Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2022, 04:14:22 PM »
On a similar note, has anyone found any universal handguards that work on the AK?  I know Puig has some but they're $150 and universal.  Anyone tried something from ebay or Amazon?

If you want handguards try these from AliExpress. Stuff may take up to a month to arrive from there but the price is usually right. I just received a storage box divider that I bought from AliExpress, ordered on Jan 9 and received yesterday (Jan 24) so not bad this time. They are terrible on package tracking but I guess that builds patience.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003677724932.html?spm=a2g0s.8937460.0.0.21e82e0eo3Axnj

If you do go with the muffs Bob, do let us know as I’ve been toying with getting some too.

I am strongly leaning toward getting these mitts. Will order them as soon as I hear results from the dealer on the warranty repair of the heated grips which should be today or tomorrow. Just don't want to receive them and not have any time to decide if I want to keep them or not and run out of the return window. These come highly recommended by a fellow rider on the ST-Owners forum who rides in the cold like I do. He is currently in 3rd place on the coldest ride contest list at 9F. I am in first place right at zeroF. These are what he has used for many years.

https://www.kemimoto.com/products/kemimoto-atv-mitts-motorcycle-gloves-b0106-00101bk?currency=USD&sscid=11k6_n7y06&utm_source=ShareASale&utm_content=742098
« Last Edit: January 25, 2022, 04:17:23 PM by rjs987 »
/bob

jemo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2022, 05:18:37 PM »
If you want handguards try these from AliExpress. Stuff may take up to a month to arrive from there but the price is usually right. I just received a storage box divider that I bought from AliExpress, ordered on Jan 9 and received yesterday (Jan 24) so not bad this time. They are terrible on package tracking but I guess that builds patience.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003677724932.html?spm=a2g0s.8937460.0.0.21e82e0eo3Axnj

Will do, thanks again.

rjs987

• Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2022, 05:28:47 PM »
Though this has nothing to do with prepping for riding in cold temps here is the storage box divider item I just received from AliExpress to be installed when the temp warms up outside.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002250458357.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.0.0.21ef1802QeEPHU
/bob

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2022, 10:51:45 PM »
Though this has nothing to do with prepping for riding in cold temps here is the storage box divider item I just received from AliExpress to be installed when the temp warms up outside.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002250458357.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.0.0.21ef1802QeEPHU

Seems like it would block you from storing certain things under there - like a tripod for a camera, etc.
Why limit yourself?
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

rjs987

• Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2022, 10:59:10 PM »
Seems like it would block you from storing certain things under there - like a tripod for a camera, etc.
Why limit yourself?
Stig

Only the side brackets are stuck on the sides of the storage box. The divider itself slides right out so no limits there. I don't carry a tripod but sometimes I do carry something that maybe as long as the entire storage box.
/bob

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()