Author Topic: Oil check is IMMINENT, especially on one cylinders  (Read 524 times)

Ruffus

• View Profile
Oil check is IMMINENT, especially on one cylinders
« on: November 21, 2021, 05:57:14 PM »
Followed more than two month now advertisements/sale offers here in Italy for scoots like Grand Dink/Yager 200i/Grand Dink 250 for spareparts.

Eight out of ten sellers I contacted, told me the cause of breakdown was forgotten oil change or simply no oil at all. "My son/daughter/spouse did not care",  etc.

So it makes, considering those high revvs in our scoots, even more sense to change according to schedule/more often, or at least once a year if km/ mls not approached.

I know this is a delicate subject, each owner knows better what's the best for his/her ride, but it's worth to consider.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2021, 08:49:59 AM by Ruffus »
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

Clampett

• Uncle Jed
    • View Profile
    • My Maps
Re: Oil check is IMMIMENT, especially on one cylinders
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2021, 06:12:08 PM »
I was @ Edwards Chevrolet(Birmingham Alabama) for some recall work. Only about 45 minutes, so I just stood off to the side and waited.
A women drives into the shop with a smoking Impala. I'm standing close enough I can hear the conversation between her and the service manager.
He is trying to be polite. She is screaming about her new car smoking. Only had it for a few months months.
Service manager checks and it has 35K miles. He raises the hood and checks the oil. Nothing on the stick. He turns on the ignition and the warning light was on.
He asked her when she last had it serviced. She asked what he meant. He asks when was the last time the oil was changed.
She replied it shouldn't need changing, it was new when she bought the car!!!!! 8) 8)
« Last Edit: November 21, 2021, 06:16:44 PM by Clampett »

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2021, 08:15:11 PM »
You guys are tryin' to start something, aren't you? Har, har!

"Nephew-in-law?" The guy my niece  married, okay! He drove his company Ford E-250 van for 50000 miles before he finally thought about changing the oil! Turned into a blue smoke special from that!

Had a girlfriend with a  Toyota with the same problem in that she did not realize the engine oil needed changing periodically! I, being the hotshot engine guy I thought I was, changed the oil. Oohh, bad idea! The Navy has things to generate smoke screens that could not have kept up with her little car after that! Lesson learned was the only thing to do was just add 50 weight as needed!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

stuo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2021, 10:28:08 PM »
I once came across a Toyota sedan that sounded like a very loud sewing machine. The owner bought it new and never changed the oil, just kept adding it as needed. The valve train was obviously worn beyond belief.
2009 GV 250

mousejunks

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2021, 11:42:43 PM »
Followed more than two month now advertisements/sale offers here in Italy for scoots like Grand Dink/Yager 200i/Grand Dink 250 for spareparts.

Eight out of ten sellers I contacted, told me the cause of breakdown was forgotten oil change or simply no oil at all. "My son/daughter/spouse did not care",  etc.

So it makes, considering those high revvs in our scoots, even more sense to change according to schedule/more often, or at least once a year if km/ mls not approached.

I know this is a delicate subject, each owner knows better what's the best for his/her ride, but it's worth to consider.

There is truth to this. I think a lot of people don't take their vehicles (cars or bikes) to the shop unless there's an issue.

Fortunately I encourage people I know to do oil changes even if they don't want to.
'09 Kymco Espresso 150i
'11 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS - 79,500km
'17 Kymco Downtown 350i ABS

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2021, 03:12:40 AM »
You guys are tryin' to start something, aren't you? Har, har!

"Nephew-in-law?" The guy my niece  married, okay! He drove his company Ford E-250 van for 50000 miles before he finally thought about changing the oil! Turned into a blue smoke special from that!

Had a girlfriend with a  Toyota with the same problem in that she did not realize the engine oil needed changing periodically! I, being the hotshot engine guy I thought I was, changed the oil. Oohh, bad idea! The Navy has things to generate smoke screens that could not have kept up with her little car after that! Lesson learned was the only thing to do was just add 50 weight as needed!

Crossbolt, you made me recall something. Years ago I worked at a psychiatric hospital and a cleaning lady there had an old VW Beetle. One day she was having a lot of trouble getting it started so I told her I do a tune-up on it in her driveway. That included an oil change spark plugs points and condenser. And I adjusted the valves. When I pulled the drain plug and screen under the engine the oil wouldn't come out had to kind of dig the Sandy mess out with a screwdriver. Two of the spark plugs were stripped in place. I had to work on it all weekend. I learned my lesson when working with abused neglected engines.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()