Author Topic: combination brake  (Read 2179 times)

Alex

• View Profile
combination brake
« on: November 02, 2010, 02:45:16 AM »
can anybody give me knowledgeable info about the delay valve and the operation of the combination brake I know what its supposed to do but how does it do it? does the delay valve have a spring controlled shuttle valve inside that moves over and gives pressure to the front brake after it has been operating the rear  brake which comes on first?..my front brake does not come on ..rearbrake works fine, and I know that the front brakegets some fluid to it as  I have cracked the bleed nipple and operated the brake lever  and some fluid came out but not as if it was under any great pressure

Dr. Scooter

• View Profile
Re: combination brake
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 12:14:47 AM »
After purchasing my scooter I actually had to bleed my brakes of course I was the second owner. The combo brake is not an eays one to bleed I will warn you now
2007 Kymco Xciting 500

Modding a scooter is a beatiful thing!

Alex

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 02:55:37 AM »
I bled them thats how I know the fluid comes out of the bleed nipple on the front  brake when the lever is pulled..what I didnt do was bleed the delay valve. the manual says bleed the delay valve first then the front caliper but I didnt , I just bled the front caliper my reasoning being that  when the delay valve operated fluid must pass through it to the caliper  so why bother taking all the tupperware off to get at the delay valve..

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 05:09:48 PM »
Arkie had a problem with that brake system which he detailed in the thread "Help, I wrecked my Xciting".  It's in this section somewhere down the list.  Lots of details there. 

Alex

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2010, 08:58:50 PM »
yes I read all that tks , he had the opposite problem , brake dragging/seizing up. i intend to take the caliper off and see if the pistins are stuck or the pins are seized. i just wanted to get as much info as possible before boldly going

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2010, 01:33:49 AM »
Ah yes, I see.  Hope you get it workin right there Alex.   I recon I'll have to look into mine soon too -- it's developed a weird feeling in the lever where it feels it's meeting two resistances.  Fluid has gone down just a bit in that side too. 

I do believe Arkie continued to post about his experience in some other thread -- maybe general -- he continued on and bled with a "one-man bleeding kit" as I recall.  And he DID bleed the delay valve.

Dr. Scooter

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2010, 03:37:54 AM »
I did bleed it I bled it first then again after the calipers
2007 Kymco Xciting 500

Modding a scooter is a beatiful thing!

Alex

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2010, 08:56:48 PM »
I suppose you had to take the front plastic covers off?  thats the bit that has me reluctant ..I started to pull it off but could see little plastic clippy parts, which slid into other plastic parts to hold it together  such as break off real easy ,  so pushed it all back together again and left well alone

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2010, 03:28:05 PM »
Right Alex.  When I had my plastic off to flush my cooling system etc, I found many of those clippy tabs already broken from previous services before I owned the scooter.  I found putting the fairing and all back on to be somewhat frustrating, though it did go back fine once I learned how to "massage" it.   :D 

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()