Author Topic: Buying a used Kymco People?  (Read 1312 times)

Veronykah

• View Profile
Buying a used Kymco People?
« on: November 29, 2021, 12:16:19 AM »
Hi all - I've been riding an SYM HD200 for the past 6 years. Its getting to the point I don't want to invest more in fixing it and have been looking around. I like scooters with bigger wheels so it has pretty much left me at a Piaggio Liberty if I want new or having to buy something used.

I found 2 People, one 250s (12,300 ODO $1500) and a couple 200s (7000 ODO $1800, 3600 ODO $2000)
Is it asking for problems no matter what the ODO says since all these bikes are 10+ years old?
Or is the mileage a better indicator of the quality of the bike than the age?

Looking for something that will be super reliable, quick and that feels solid.
I'd buy a new or newer one but there is really no one selling bikes with 16" wheels anywhere in the US! And the Liberty felt pretty tiny and surprisingly cheap compared to the HD200.

Any advice is welcome..

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Buying a used Kymco People?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2021, 12:34:06 AM »
Have you looked at investing in the new People 150i?
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Veronykah

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2021, 12:57:59 AM »
I have no idea why I completely forgot about the new People!

I definitely have to check it out.
I think they are running like 5k to buy new though, seems REALLY expensive?
Anyone ride one? Does look like it ticks most of my boxes, just wonder how fast it feels. After testing out a few bikes I realize how quick the HD200 is in comparison.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2021, 02:22:09 AM »
I have no idea why I completely forgot about the new People!

I definitely have to check it out.
I think they are running like 5k to buy new though, seems REALLY expensive?
Anyone ride one? Does look like it ticks most of my boxes, just wonder how fast it feels. After testing out a few bikes I realize how quick the HD200 is in comparison.
around 3600 new
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Togger

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2021, 05:56:44 PM »
Hi all - I've been riding an SYM HD200 for the past 6 years. Its getting to the point I don't want to invest more in fixing it and have been looking around. I like scooters with bigger wheels so it has pretty much left me at a Piaggio Liberty if I want new or having to buy something used.

I found 2 People, one 250s (12,300 ODO $1500) and a couple 200s (7000 ODO $1800, 3600 ODO $2000)
Is it asking for problems no matter what the ODO says since all these bikes are 10+ years old?
Or is the mileage a better indicator of the quality of the bike than the age?

Looking for something that will be super reliable, quick and that feels solid.
I'd buy a new or newer one but there is really no one selling bikes with 16" wheels anywhere in the US! And the Liberty felt pretty tiny and surprisingly cheap compared to the HD200.

Any advice is welcome..

If you can find a dealer and one that will work on older scooters. I test rode the Liberty and it did seem smaller and more cheaply made than my Kymco B&W 250 also.

Veronykah

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2021, 06:18:24 PM »
In SoCal they are 5k out the door though, dealer adds $995 + tax/license/reg.
I've never bought a new scoot before all mine have been used so its a bit of sticker shock, especially considering my Miata was $5500 when I bought it. But maybe its worth it to have brand new and I plan on keeping it long term...

around 3600 new
Stig
« Last Edit: November 29, 2021, 06:23:14 PM by Veronykah »

Veronykah

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2021, 06:21:43 PM »
If you can find a dealer and one that will work on older scooters. I test rode the Liberty and it did seem smaller and more cheaply made than my Kymco B&W 250 also.

There are 2 dealers in my area and I have a mechanic that can work on them, however my he also said NOT to buy a Kymco I think because he said its hard to get parts now? Like waiting for a month etc for them to come in to the dealer?
I saw the link on the board to get parts, are they faster than wherever the dealer would be getting parts?

Togger

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2021, 06:28:11 PM »
In SoCal they are 5k out the door though, dealer adds $995 + tax/license/reg.
I've never bought a new scoot before all mine have been used so its a bit of sticker shock, especially considering my Miata was $5500 when I bought it. But maybe its worth it to have brand new and I plan on keeping it long term...

All scooters and motorcycles are over-priced. These manufacturers are only hurting themselves. It's no wonder the scooter scene isn't bigger in this country.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2021, 07:12:21 PM »
There are 2 dealers in my area and I have a mechanic that can work on them, however my he also said NOT to buy a Kymco I think because he said its hard to get parts now? Like waiting for a month etc for them to come in to the dealer?
I saw the link on the board to get parts, are they faster than wherever the dealer would be getting parts?
I know that a youtube SoCal scooter celebrity knocks SYM's and Kymco's as junk.....as he sits astride his Liberty in his Vespa dealership.
As for parts availability at this crazy time....who knows?
Some dealers in SoCal and TX are well stocked for Piaggio spares....and always have been.
Kymco spares?
Honda makes a good 150 scooter....and probably has a better river to parts than does Kymco.
Most of us Kymco owners have had no reason to go hunting parts ....because our Kymco's came with well made parts.
There are exceptions to this of course. Check Kymco recalls and read posts to find where the problems are.

I love both my Liberty (owned since 2017) and my LIKE200i (owned since 2013) Both work perfectly & reliably with only gas, oil and tire changes. Belts and rollers when scheduled in the serv. manual. I take the airfilters out, check them, tell them to keep up the good work and put them back in....put the new spare back in the drawer.

Try getting at least two, or 3, dealers bidding for your $. That always worked for me ...including an "internet special pricing" deal from a distant dealer.
Good luck. Let us know how things turn out.
Stig

PS: welcome to the forum!
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2021, 01:53:12 AM »
Hi, Just finished a similar look
The only two new ones I know of in the U.S. are the Liberty & the People.
Of the two I'm more inclined to the People.  It's a nice bike.  Far as parts go?
From the folks I know that's pretty much everyone.  A friend with an Aprilia Mojito waited 3 months for a part.
I tried out the Liberty, it seemed a hair smaller than the Kymco and by the numbers is a tetch slower.
I have not been able to test ride a People 150S yet.  Weather around here and my schedule have made that tough.

Far as years vs. miles go.  It depends on how things were stored & such.  There are some things you definitely check and definitely do with a bike that's been sitting that much.

Far as replacing your HD200 goes.  IMHO that's a special bike.  It's quicker than just about everything else in the class except the Aprilia Sport City 250/300 or the Scarabeo 200.  Of those I class the Sport City there due to size of bike.  I found it actually a bit more cramped than the SYM.  The Scarabeo 200's a great bike, but they're scarce on the ground & just as old.

The other bikes you've mentioned, the People 250 and 250S were on my short list, I do like those, particularly the older ones.  The two that come to mind that you didn't mention were the People 200GT and 300GT.  Both are good bikes, same chassis, just a bigger motor on the 300. The 300 was imported here through 2017.

Far as where did I end up.  I just bought a 2008 HD200 (Blue) with 2600 miles on it.  I have to go through and do all my mods again, but in the end it was what was available that I liked.  Don't ask on the price.  The prices are nuts around here, & the bikes are selling.  I missed about half a dozen hoping on a price drop...
2008 SYM HD200 "Niwanibiz"
2018 Suzuki Burgman AN650z "Bebaamaadizid"

k9 S200 (Blue) "Max" (Sold)
k8 SYM HD200 "Indigo" (Deceased)
k7 Suzuki Burgman 650 "Ohanzee" (Sold)

Veronykah

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2021, 07:56:45 AM »

Far as replacing your HD200 goes.  IMHO that's a special bike.  It's quicker than just about everything else in the class except the Aprilia Sport City 250/300 or the Scarabeo 200.... The Scarabeo 200's a great bike, but they're scarce on the ground & just as old.

Oh man, you're making me feel like I should keep the SYM! I really love how quick it is, but thought it was just due to me moving up to it from a Vino. The Liberty definitely didn't have the same "pep" at all. Unfortunately the SYM is having engine compression issues and maybe carb issues too...its still at the mechanic. I've poured a bunch of money into it already so kind of think I need to let it go at this point.

I really like the Scarebo but every single mechanic I have talked to gets a look of horror in their eyes and tells me under no circumstances to buy one of those.
I don't do anything beyond oil changes on my bikes so I'm unfortunately at the mercy of finding someone to fix stuff for me.
Haven't seen a 200/300GT around...I don't think.

Going to check out a SMAX on Wed but don't really want anything with small wheels. Streets in LA are really unforgiving.
Hoping to check out the new People 150 maybe this weekend.

I'd love a Honda or Yamaha but not seeing anything that's avail in the US that's a step through with big wheels besides the Kymcos. 

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2021, 02:47:53 PM »
Honda made a step through 150 with big wheels back around 2010 called the SH150.  It was pretty fast for a 150 but not as fast as the HD200.  They still sell the SH150 in other countries but only sold it here for a year or two.

I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Veronykah

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2021, 05:48:36 PM »
Honda made a step through 150 with big wheels back around 2010 called the SH150.  It was pretty fast for a 150 but not as fast as the HD200.  They still sell the SH150 in other countries but only sold it here for a year or two.

I WISH I could find that bike or that Honda/Yamaha would consider bringing those kind of bikes here. Looking at the selections ALL manufacturers have in other countries is depressing.

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2021, 07:35:13 PM »
Heck if ya never checked the valves that might be an easy fix assuming you haven't bent one.

I had a fuel system problem that I farmed out (cropped up right before the cannonball ended up buying a Kymco to run that) to a local dealer, took 'em a week to sort it out, but I believe it was related to the bowl gasket and maybe a stuck float.  I'm not sure I didn't ask and never saw the issue again.

You could also be getting odd symptom relating to the drive train if you never changed out your belt/rollers (I recommend 15g DP sliders on these).
But all that said if you're done your done.  I do the majority of my own mechanical work so my costs are not yours.

What part of the world are you in?

Oh man, you're making me feel like I should keep the SYM! I really love how quick it is, but thought it was just due to me moving up to it from a Vino. The Liberty definitely didn't have the same "pep" at all. Unfortunately the SYM is having engine compression issues and maybe carb issues too...its still at the mechanic. I've poured a bunch of money into it already so kind of think I need to let it go at this point.

I really like the Scarebo but every single mechanic I have talked to gets a look of horror in their eyes and tells me under no circumstances to buy one of those.
I don't do anything beyond oil changes on my bikes so I'm unfortunately at the mercy of finding someone to fix stuff for me.
Haven't seen a 200/300GT around...I don't think.

Going to check out a SMAX on Wed but don't really want anything with small wheels. Streets in LA are really unforgiving.
Hoping to check out the new People 150 maybe this weekend.

I'd love a Honda or Yamaha but not seeing anything that's avail in the US that's a step through with big wheels besides the Kymcos.
2008 SYM HD200 "Niwanibiz"
2018 Suzuki Burgman AN650z "Bebaamaadizid"

k9 S200 (Blue) "Max" (Sold)
k8 SYM HD200 "Indigo" (Deceased)
k7 Suzuki Burgman 650 "Ohanzee" (Sold)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2021, 07:58:40 PM »

Those SH's are HTF now and fetch a premium price.
My Ohio dealer had one like the one in your photo - and it went in less than 24hrs to a fellow in NY after it was posted online.
I went by just to look at it before the shipper came.

Yep, I'd trade in my LIKE & Liberty if I had a shot at a new one....that big a fan of Hondas. (had the first Honda motorcycle in 1967, and several thereafter)

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()