Author Topic: AK550 clatter switch  (Read 541 times)

jermwars

• View Profile
AK550 clatter switch
« on: December 04, 2021, 08:15:46 PM »
I get an annoying clatter from the power knob switch thingy...i can fix it by shoving a shim in it but im wondering if anyone found a classier solution.

assuming everyone elses clatters
22' KymCo AK550
07' Yamaha Majesty YP400

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: AK550 clatter switch
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2021, 09:26:05 PM »
What is a "power knob switch thingy?" What does it do?
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

jermwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2021, 10:08:56 PM »
What is a "power knob switch thingy?" What does it do?

The knob right above the power switch...you turn it after you power on

also opens the seat and gas lid

not sure what to call that. (im sure you can tell)
22' KymCo AK550
07' Yamaha Majesty YP400

rjs987

• 2022 Kymco AK 550 - Matte Deep Blue
  • Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2021, 10:49:36 PM »
That would be the keyless control dial. Circled in the attached photo.
No, don't have that problem so cannot help you there.

/bob
2022 Kymco AK 550 Super Touring Extreme in Matte Deep Blue
RETIRED - US Navy and Air National Guard and civilian career

jermwars

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2021, 11:21:51 PM »
That would be the keyless control dial. Circled in the attached photo.
No, don't have that problem so cannot help you there.

Yours isnt all loose?
22' KymCo AK550
07' Yamaha Majesty YP400

rjs987

• Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2021, 11:59:20 PM »
Yours isnt all loose?

Not that I know of. I'll have to go out and check more closely now.
The knob on the dial is really only "loose" when the power to the bike is off. Then it just spins freely with only a very slight feeling where the detentes are for the various positions. That's normal.

Is it the bezel for the dial or the knob that you turn to select the options around the dial?
/bob

jermwars

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2021, 12:53:47 AM »

Not that I know of. I'll have to go out and check more closely now.
The knob on the dial is really only "loose" when the power to the bike is off. Then it just spins freely with only a very slight feeling where the detentes are for the various positions. That's normal.

Is it the bezel for the dial or the knob that you turn to select the options around the dial?

Its the knob...

LAWDY!!!

I just seem to have caught KymCO on an off day...Clattery loose knob, "clunk" in the transmission (Still there but pretty mild)...tiny oil leak

Still just plain love the bike though 
22' KymCo AK550
07' Yamaha Majesty YP400

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2021, 01:21:45 AM »
Thanks to the picture, I see what it is! It is the fancier version of what the lesser models like my DT300i have within the ignition switch mechanism. The Yager had the gas cap release thingy. The DT requires the key to open the gas cap. Okay, I got it now! Tanx!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

rjs987

• Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2021, 03:28:12 AM »
OK, I just (finally) went out to the garage to gaze longingly at my AK 550. OH, and I also looked closely at the knob.
It does wiggle a little. With the bike turned on or turned off. When turned on it of course latches into the position selected but even then I can wiggle it around. I'm going out on a limb here and saying this is normal. The wiggle I am feeling even with the knob locked onto a position kinda has to be there to provide some slack to avoid overly straining the mechanics. It's like the slack you feel in the throttle. There is a tolerance for the throttle that is based on how tight the cables are (if not throttle by wire like my 2022 model is not throttle by wire). And every electrical rotational switch I know of has some wiggle to it to prevent it from being so tight it's hard to turn or breaks the electronic contacts inside.

And on that other thing. The clunk. I think I did feel it once or twice but very very slight. It happened about the time during slowing down when I would expect the clutch to release. I don't recall that my Burgman actually had a clunk when the clutch released on that scooter but there was a definite sudden "let go" of the drive train when that happened. Same here, the few times I did feel a clunk was when I was letting engine braking slow me down then used the brake before the clutch released. At the same time I also felt the clutch drag release since I really wasn't using the brakes very much but very lightly. Both times I was slowing just enough to allow the traffic in front of me to start moving again since the light had turned green and they were taking their time getting going.

Ever wonder why 4 wheeled cages seem to take so long to get moving when the light turns green. I only notice that when I'm riding the AK and not so much when I'm in my cage.  ::)
/bob

jermwars

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2021, 04:02:43 PM »
OK, I just (finally) went out to the garage to gaze longingly at my AK 550. OH, and I also looked closely at the knob.
It does wiggle a little. With the bike turned on or turned off. When turned on it of course latches into the position selected but even then I can wiggle it around. I'm going out on a limb here and saying this is normal. The wiggle I am feeling even with the knob locked onto a position kinda has to be there to provide some slack to avoid overly straining the mechanics. It's like the slack you feel in the throttle. There is a tolerance for the throttle that is based on how tight the cables are (if not throttle by wire like my 2022 model is not throttle by wire). And every electrical rotational switch I know of has some wiggle to it to prevent it from being so tight it's hard to turn or breaks the electronic contacts inside.

And on that other thing. The clunk. I think I did feel it once or twice but very very slight. It happened about the time during slowing down when I would expect the clutch to release. I don't recall that my Burgman actually had a clunk when the clutch released on that scooter but there was a definite sudden "let go" of the drive train when that happened. Same here, the few times I did feel a clunk was when I was letting engine braking slow me down then used the brake before the clutch released. At the same time I also felt the clutch drag release since I really wasn't using the brakes very much but very lightly. Both times I was slowing just enough to allow the traffic in front of me to start moving again since the light had turned green and they were taking their time getting going.

Ever wonder why 4 wheeled cages seem to take so long to get moving when the light turns green. I only notice that when I'm riding the AK and not so much when I'm in my cage.  ::)

Thats some comfort! Thanks :D

Love those moments...just gazing in awe at her lines and curves...Have you got to listen to yours in a nice tunnel or under a parking awning? I caught some of that for the first time the other day. Sexy, throaty...luv luv luvit

Im learning to live with the little clunk...if i ride with my feet on the upper foot rests i literally cant even tell its there. (still think about it constantly though...OCD is what it is)

I almost didn't wanna mention the knob rattle because its one of those things you probably wouldnt notice...until you do and then you cant ignore it. :D

The cage dwellers seem to take forever to do EVERYTHING!!! Great lumbering beasts with poor eyesight and smoothly dulled reaction times...i always have to wonder how many would ever go back to their cages if they knew what we know
22' KymCo AK550
07' Yamaha Majesty YP400

rjs987

• Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2021, 04:52:07 PM »
Thats some comfort! Thanks :D

Love those moments...just gazing in awe at her lines and curves...Have you got to listen to yours in a nice tunnel or under a parking awning? I caught some of that for the first time the other day. Sexy, throaty...luv luv luvit

Im learning to live with the little clunk...if i ride with my feet on the upper foot rests i literally cant even tell its there. (still think about it constantly though...OCD is what it is)

I almost didn't wanna mention the knob rattle because its one of those things you probably wouldnt notice...until you do and then you cant ignore it. :D

The cage dwellers seem to take forever to do EVERYTHING!!! Great lumbering beasts with poor eyesight and smoothly dulled reaction times...i always have to wonder how many would ever go back to their cages if they knew what we know

I do still usually use ear plugs so don't hear any rattles like that knob.

And yes, I have heard that lovely throaty growl in an enclosed space. I start the AK while still in my garage between my Rav4 and the wall so that's like being in a really narrow tunnel. Sometimes take a while to back out of the garage just to listen to it for a moment longer  ;D

And yes, again, there is plenty of space to back it out of the garage. the perspective of the picture distorts the actual width of the space between the back of the Rav4 and the garage door side rail.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2021, 04:54:59 PM by rjs987 »
/bob

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()