Author Topic: AK 550 heated grips LED  (Read 1323 times)

rjs987

• 2022 Kymco AK 550 - Matte Deep Blue
  • Central Iowa
    • View Profile
AK 550 heated grips LED
« on: December 05, 2021, 08:17:34 PM »
Question for others with an AK 550. On my ride yesterday I noticed the LED on the left grip base that indicates the heated grips are turned on I noted that the LED was lighting that only from the bottom. I was thinking, but don't remember for certain, that the entire bar was lighted more evenly... or at least that there may be a LED also at the top to make it look more evenly lighted. But I might be wrong about that since I didn't take a really close look at it before. I was wondering what others with this scooter see with that LED indicator?

During that ride yesterday I also separately had that indicator flash red a few times so I turned off the heated grips. After a few miles I turned them back on and all was good for the rest of the ride. The owner manual says to turn off the scooter and then back on to restore the system but it seemed to restore itself without doing that. I did at one point stop and turn off the AK and turned it back on but no difference in the heated grips performance. I only had them on the lowest setting and they were plenty warm to hot the entire ride when I had them turned on. The heated grips symbol on the dash display did not flash or do anything other than what was normal. I have had the heated grips LED on the left grip flash red once before on my way home initially and I figured that was because I was messing with it. Running it through all the settings, turning it off then on, etc. But that was a month ago.
/bob
2022 Kymco AK 550 Super Touring Extreme in Matte Deep Blue
RETIRED - US Navy and Air National Guard and civilian career

jermwars

• View Profile
Re: AK 550 heated grips LED
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2021, 08:34:30 PM »
Question for others with an AK 550. On my ride yesterday I noticed the LED on the left grip base that indicates the heated grips are turned on I noted that the LED was lighting that only from the bottom. I was thinking, but don't remember for certain, that the entire bar was lighted more evenly... or at least that there may be a LED also at the top to make it look more evenly lighted. But I might be wrong about that since I didn't take a really close look at it before. I was wondering what others with this scooter see with that LED indicator?

During that ride yesterday I also separately had that indicator flash red a few times so I turned off the heated grips. After a few miles I turned them back on and all was good for the rest of the ride. The owner manual says to turn off the scooter and then back on to restore the system but it seemed to restore itself without doing that. I did at one point stop and turn off the AK and turned it back on but no difference in the heated grips performance. I only had them on the lowest setting and they were plenty warm to hot the entire ride when I had them turned on. The heated grips symbol on the dash display did not flash or do anything other than what was normal. I have had the heated grips LED on the left grip flash red once before on my way home initially and I figured that was because I was messing with it. Running it through all the settings, turning it off then on, etc. But that was a month ago.

Glad you mentioned that about the red light!! Ive had that happen a couple times...havent noticed any pattern to it though. Always corrects itself with a restart so i dismissed it as a safeguard.

I also noticed what seemed like "part" of the white light failing! But mine was more like half of it was blinking on and off...again, it corrected itself with a reset.

But to answer about the white light, mine is (usually) evenly lit across the whole indicator...sure hope yours corrects itself...id be disappointed if a diode burned out already. Would make me think its indicative of a power issue...since i always think EVERYTHING is a huge deal but rarely is
22' KymCo AK550
07' Yamaha Majesty YP400

jermwars

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2021, 08:39:14 PM »
How about something like that? The LED on the grip...that would be covered by the warranty, right? Or is it not covered if the service troll says "looks like it still lights up to me"?
22' KymCo AK550
07' Yamaha Majesty YP400

rjs987

• Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2021, 08:57:17 PM »
How about something like that? The LED on the grip...that would be covered by the warranty, right? Or is it not covered if the service troll says "looks like it still lights up to me"?

That's why my question. If it is supposed to be evenly lit and not just looking like a LED lights it up at only one end then that would be a warranty issue that can be looked at. I was thinking I remembered it looked like it was more evenly lit up. I'll have to decide if it effects the operation and if I want to take it in for that. 125 miles to the nearest Kymco service center (a dealer who doesn't carry inventory of Kymco scooters but is certified for warranty service on Kymco scooters and has told me they do honor it). That would make for an interesting longer ride for me. I'd have to arrange for them to verify the problem while I was there and if they need to order parts then I'd ride home and return when the parts come in. So 2 rides.  ;D

The owners manual covers about when that grip LED flashes red and also when the dash symbol flashes. It says to take it in for service if the dash symbol continues to flash.
/bob

jermwars

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2021, 12:58:19 AM »

MY BAD!!!

I should have gone ahead and checked before i answered like i was so sure!!

NO! The white bar is not lit solidly across the whole thing...its lit exactly as you described. From a single source.

I was just so sure that i remembered otherwise but i was completely mistaken. All apologies.

22' KymCo AK550
07' Yamaha Majesty YP400

rjs987

• Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2021, 04:46:20 AM »
MY BAD!!!

I should have gone ahead and checked before i answered like i was so sure!!

NO! The white bar is not lit solidly across the whole thing...its lit exactly as you described. From a single source.

I was just so sure that i remembered otherwise but i was completely mistaken. All apologies.

Well, I didn't really remember so it's good to confirm that mine is not going bad.

But I AM concerned about the heated grips system in mine. Went for a ride tonight and had the grip heat set to 2 and after just a few miles the grip LED would flash red and shut down the grip heat. Air temp was between 12-16 F. Closer to that lower number most of the ride. Good thing I had my heated gloves also connected so my hands were still warm. I just had to turn the heated gloves controller up an extra setting to compensate for no heated grips. Did that 3 times so I just left it off after the 3rd time. I might have to call the dealer shop and see what I can work out with them on that.
/bob

jermwars

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2021, 01:20:00 PM »

Well, I didn't really remember so it's good to confirm that mine is not going bad.

But I AM concerned about the heated grips system in mine. Went for a ride tonight and had the grip heat set to 2 and after just a few miles the grip LED would flash red and shut down the grip heat. Air temp was between 12-16 F. Closer to that lower number most of the ride. Good thing I had my heated gloves also connected so my hands were still warm. I just had to turn the heated gloves controller up an extra setting to compensate for no heated grips. Did that 3 times so I just left it off after the 3rd time. I might have to call the dealer shop and see what I can work out with them on that.

Mine did that same thing to me again last night...started blinking red and shut down. Worked fine after a reset but i didnt run them all that long...20 minutes maybe. Iiiintereeesting....
22' KymCo AK550
07' Yamaha Majesty YP400

rjs987

• Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2021, 03:43:55 PM »
Just watched, or re-watched, a few AK 550 review videos this morning that showed the heated grips function. Turning on and off. And noted that the LED indicator on the left grip is in fact the same as mine is. I was certain I remembered the entire oval was evenly lit up but I guess not. Maybe just the "new bike" fever that was happening at the time. One of these videos was from Bike Trips from 2018 that showed that owners bike after getting the heated grips replaced with the new and improved (in 2018) version. His bike was an earlier model that did have the issue with the grip material being too soft and defective so that it started to fall apart in the summer heat (without turning on the heated grips). He had put electrical tape on his grips until the new grips were installed and he reported that the new grips are far superior to the previous ones. But my point here is that the LED indicator on the left grip also lit up the same as mine... IOW, the actual LED light element is in the lower end of the light oval so it is bright at the bottom and gets dimmer toward the top of the oval. I also noted on that video that the LED indicator very slightly flickered or wavered just a little as he was riding along the road. Again, just like mine does. So I know that part is working normally.

My ride yesterday I used the heated grips only, without using my heated gloves. I wore those gloves and had them plugged in but did not turn on the gloves heat controller so they were just being passive gloves. I sometimes do that anyway when temps are in the upper 30s F since they are a bit warmer than my non-heated winter gloves. The heated grips worked flawlessly the entire ride yesterday. Wondering if the extreme cold of 12 F was to blame for the heated grips system fault or if using my heated gloves at the same time as the heated grips caused an issue due to power through the wires of the gloves or extra glove heat being sensed by the heated grips system (as in too much heat for the setting selected).

Will be doing more of that kind of testing in the next few months. This month looks to be too warm to really test that out well but January and February usually give us some really cold temps from 15 F down to below zero F. If it does turn out to be the heated gloves causing an issue I hope to resolve that by using handlebar muffs instead of the heated gloves. If the extreme cold is the cause of the issue I'll just have to avoid using the heated grips during extreme cold and only use them between 20 F up to 40+ F. And then I'd only use my heated gloves for the extreme cold temps. Though it seems that there should be no issue with the heated grips control box working in very cold temps since all other electronic "boxes" on the bike work fine at those temps. Also, if it is the extreme cold causing an issue with the heated grips controller I would have expected the heated grips symbol on the dash display to flash, but it didn't. The dash display flashing is supposed to indicate a controller issue sending the signal to the dash display, and the red grip light flashing indicates a handlebar heater issue if I understand the manual properly. The dash display has not ever been flashing... yet.

The owner manual does suggest to go to a Kymco dealer for a check up if there is a handlebar heater issue (consistently). Pressing the heater button stops the red light flashing and shutting off and restarting the bike resets the heater system.
/bob

rjs987

• Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2021, 06:42:00 PM »
Just to update a little. I will be more sure of this after the next few months but so far the last 3 rides I've taken in the last few weeks have been with the heated grips turned on. The only time I saw the heated grips error light, flashing red light several times and then system turns off, is when I also had my heated gloves turned on and it was really cold out, like below 20F. The last last 3 rides I made a point to not turn on my heated gloves and the heated grips have been working flawlessly.
/bob

Quick-Star24

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2023, 12:35:24 PM »

I rode my bike 3 days ago.
This morning it would not start.
Strangely the Heated Grip light was blinking Red.
Also the dash said 9.2 volts.

No idea what is happening.
After work I’ll jump start it.
But why would heated grip light blink red? Was not using them…just trying to start bike and go to work.

Jeff

rjs987

• Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2023, 01:40:45 PM »
I rode my bike 3 days ago.
This morning it would not start.
Strangely the Heated Grip light was blinking Red.
Also the dash said 9.2 volts.

No idea what is happening.
After work I’ll jump start it.
But why would heated grip light blink red? Was not using them…just trying to start bike and go to work.

Jeff

Replied a little bit in your other thread on this.
Likely if the battery is low that can result in a heated grips controller fail and that is what that blinking light was showing. The heated grips system is one of the few systems that have a direct fault indicator. Of course the other indications of the low battery voltage is no starting, but just enough volts to turn on the dash lights. Likely no problem with the heated grips system but just a low battery.
/bob

Quick-Star24

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2023, 04:53:46 PM »
Replied a little bit in your other thread on this.
Likely if the battery is low that can result in a heated grips controller fail and that is what that blinking light was showing. The heated grips system is one of the few systems that have a direct fault indicator. Of course the other indications of the low battery voltage is no starting, but just enough volts to turn on the dash lights. Likely no problem with the heated grips system but just a low battery.

Thank You RJ

lewtwo

• View Profile
    • My Kymco Like 150i ABS web page
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2023, 12:45:10 AM »
It is a 100+ degrees outside. heated grips are a solution looking for a problem.
The more I learn the more obvious the immensity of my ignorance becomes.
https://www.keywild.com/scooter/Kymco150i/

rjs987

• Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2023, 03:09:54 AM »
It is a 100+ degrees outside. heated grips are a solution looking for a problem.

Yes, at this time of year in the northern hemisphere. I need them when I ride in Dec through March in central Iowa. I usually do ride every month of the year regardless of the temp.
So far been from -15F to +105F. That higher temp without the heated grips though.
/bob

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2023, 01:58:53 AM »
I've only used my grips twice, and only to the first level, and not very long before they get a lot hotter than what I think level 1 should be, admittedly, it was more wet than cold, but wet gloves in the breeze = wind chill. maybe it would be different if it was actually cold out
RandyO
IBA#9560

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()