Author Topic: Define a Poser  (Read 956 times)

Togger

• View Profile
Define a Poser
« on: December 16, 2021, 02:53:09 PM »
I keep hearing people talk about posers, but I'm not sure what they mean. And why are there so many in the riding world?

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
Re: Define a Poser
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2021, 03:47:41 PM »
A poser is someone who owns a bike to show off.  For example a lawyer who buys a Harley and all the matching leather "biker"gear and then rides less than a thousand miles a year.  Another example is someone who buys a top of the line sportbike and matching racing leathers but couldn't pass a well ridden moped on a twisty road.

Someone who buys a BMW adventure bike with matching high end riding gear and then only rides it to Starbucks to get coffee.

These might be extreme examples but you get the idea. 
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2021, 03:48:09 PM »
Posers usually do not have raingear/rubber boots/maybe helmets/waterproof mitts---maybe like to trailer bike to events---if Harley...make a lot of noise/hide under bridges or overpasses when rains----always talk about the ride in  (forgetting bike was on trailer)---they also seem to play radio on high volume---I guess advertising how stupid they are.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2021, 04:18:16 PM »
I would not even ATTEMPT to improve upon nor add ro what klav and John posted!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2021, 05:37:05 PM »
Ahh, just ignore them.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2021, 06:12:39 PM »
I keep hearing people talk about posers, but I'm not sure what they mean. And why are there so many in the riding world?

I think riding, for many, is about their image. The IMAGE is the all important thing...not learning about the bike, or improving their skills, or having adventures...but how they look in their reflection in store front windows or how they sound when they're rev-bombing.

They look down at any bike they deem less than ideal...or riders who ride bikes they wouldn't be caught dead on.

Reminds me of a guy I work with who rides a Harley and lives the 'tough guy' life...when I told him about my new Honda Helix he burst out laughing and said "you got a geezer-mobile for nerds?"

A true rider appreciates all kinds of bikes..
« Last Edit: December 16, 2021, 06:15:39 PM by Iahawk »
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2021, 08:05:57 PM »
I remember my cousin who rode his motorcycle even during the winter in Canada and John on this forum whom didn't even own a car . Those are dedicated riders.

Then you have the people who own a motorcycle for the image, not for the fun of riding. 

Now because of circumstances I'll own a scooter but don't know if it will be possible for me to ever ride again.  I'll miss riding on Sunday mornings and my Romeo rides on Wednesday.
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

Ex-KLR

• Cumberland County Tennesee
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2021, 11:03:57 PM »
I remember my cousin who rode his motorcycle even during the winter in Canada and John on this forum whom didn't even own a car . Those are dedicated riders.

I rode my Ossa dirt bike 25 miles (from Pennsylvania to Delaware) to work all winter a few (many) years ago when I was not allowed to take my company car home.
Like 150i ABS

Taichungman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2021, 03:56:13 PM »
[/quote

I've never heard the term before until I saw it on this forum; must be some new term younger people use. But, we shouldn't be too hard on "Posers". We are all the same to some extent; we are all teachers; we are all students; we are for sure all actors.  Even if you ride a lot, did you buy that leather jacket with the red stripes and the big logo on the back because it was the best buy or to stand out and look a part, to look cool?  We are all posers to some extent in every walk of life.  All the/us posers also add an economic benefit to motorcycling industry who employee millions to sell Poser outfits and motorcycle Poser Farkle.  We buy all that gear that makes us look cool and enjoy doing what we do.

I know a guy ( yup he's an attorney) who trailers his Harley over to his girlfriends house on the weekend. They then dress up in their Poser outfits, wearing head bandanas, no helmet and ride on Saturdays when the weather is nice of course. But, he is the nicest guy in the world and really enjoys the ride. I used to think of him as a dumb ass but now I know what to call him, a Poser even thought I like dumb ass better.
2013 Kymco Racing King 180, 2013 Kymco 125,
2013 Suzuki Burgman 650, 1978 BMW R100rs

a99miata

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2021, 01:22:45 PM »
back in the day we called them "wanna be's"...

rjs987

• 2022 Kymco AK 550 - Matte Deep Blue
  • Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2021, 03:56:33 PM »
What's with all these quotes of posts with the new comments added inside the quote brackets? Makes it VERY difficult to determine what part is the previously quoted comment and what part is the new comment made by the poster.  ???
Those quote brackets/codes are very important to help keep things clear and should be left intact including any bracket characters before and after the code. Please put new comments outside the quote codes.  ;)
/bob
2022 Kymco AK 550 Super Touring Extreme in Matte Deep Blue
RETIRED - US Navy and Air National Guard and civilian career

stuo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2021, 08:15:49 PM »
My term for the Harley poser is...chromosexual.
2009 GV 250

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2021, 08:37:39 PM »
What's with all these quotes of posts with the new comments added inside the quote brackets? Makes it VERY difficult to determine what part is the previously quoted comment and what part is the new comment made by the poster.  ???
Those quote brackets/codes are very important to help keep things clear and should be left intact including any bracket characters before and after the code. Please put new comments outside the quote codes.  ;)

You gotta be smarter than a fifth grader to figure out how to properly use the quote feature.

Just sayin  ;)
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Ex-KLR

• Cumberland County Tennesee
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2021, 08:54:10 PM »
My term for the Harley poser is...chromosexual.
And they ride a Hardly Drivable...
Like 150i ABS

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2021, 09:41:43 AM »
I would not even ATTEMPT to improve upon nor add ro what klav and John posted!

Nailed it Karl.  All I’d add is they do fuel the second-hand market for us!
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()