Author Topic: led turn signal issues on my Helix - final update  (Read 856 times)

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
led turn signal issues on my Helix - final update
« on: December 24, 2021, 06:13:15 PM »
I posted this on the Helix site but it's pretty quiet these days..and it's really more of a general scooter / motorcycle question, anyway.

My Honda Helix has incandescent turn signal bulbs. The fronts also act as running lights, staying on at reduced power all the time, which I really like.

I want to convert to led due to the dim nature of the factory style incandescents. I bought the correct led bulbs (all the pins match up correctly) and an led flasher relay.

Relay arrived today and the plug and pins match up correctly to the factory plug. (I also double checked with multimeter which wire had power). after installing the new relay and putting the led bulbs I get some strange issues

problem 1. The front running lights don't light up when I turn the key on, now, like they should. If I activate the turn signal and then cancel that side will stay on. Then I activate the other side and cancel and it sometimes stays on but mostly doesn't.

Problem 2. with front led bulbs and rear incandescents the flash rate is correct. With all 4 leds they hyperflash. My flasher relay is a Rizoma universal led relay..should prevent hyperflashing, right?

Sockets are clean, pins line up but front running lights don't turn on at start...and right one doesn't stay on well. I could live with front leds and rear incandescents but the right bulb not staying on as a running light kills that. Right bulb turns on with signal and then stays on as running light after cancelling..some of the time...but not all the time.

I can always go back to the (dim) incandescents..which would kind of suck after buying a $20 relay and spending $40 on bulbs.

With a new led flasher relay on my NInja and S200 the led bulb conversion was simple and worked perfectly. I'm at a loss for what could be causing these issues.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2022, 09:01:02 PM by Iahawk »
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

Ruffus

• View Profile
Re: led turn signal issues on my Helix
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2021, 06:25:14 PM »
@hawk, first of all, Merry Christmas!
I'm not the electric guru, but this issue with your LEDs is wellknown throughout motorcycle forums.
Seems (LED) to have simply too less resistance or power consumption to work properly as they should.
Read somewhere, guys put a resistor in this indicator line...
But for sure there is someone who did such a conversion.
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2021, 09:34:42 PM »
thank, Ruffus, Merry Christmas to you, too! (and to all of our Kymco Forum!)

I may just be out of luck with getting led's on my Helix...too bad as the standard bulbs are so dim. Maybe replacing them with new ones will help a bit. At least my new flasher relay works just fine when I put the old bulbs back in.
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2021, 09:54:00 PM »
With 175,000 miles of Helix experience, standard bulbs worked fine for me.

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2021, 10:42:25 PM »
With 175,000 miles of Helix experience, standard bulbs worked fine for me.

they do, John, they're just pretty dim by modern standards. I would like to be as visible as possible on 2 wheels. The led's are about twice as bright as the incandescents.

Modern vehicles, as annoying as some of those bright led headlights are, sure are more visible to others than dimmer, yellow sealed beams lights of old used to be. Same for the newer, brighter led turn signals and running lights.
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2021, 09:34:46 AM »
@hawk, maybe take smthg like that, it's plug 'n play, just into those indicator cables... (pls see pic)
Inexpensive and could be rebuilt, if neccessary.

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2021, 01:39:23 PM »
I think much safer to wear bright colored clothes/reflective, and work on riding technique, and stay out of people's way.

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2021, 02:36:24 PM »
@john, I think seeing, riding twowheelers, from point of safety, it would be tbe best bet to leave our rides within the garage and just adore them.

Changing something I see also as a technical progress, without this curiosity we would be still in mechanical iceage.

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2021, 03:18:43 PM »
with the led's not working properly I wonder if the simple addition of resistors to each light would solve the multiple problems?

I've not heard of someone needing to use both an led flasher relay AND resistors..but maybe that would solve this? at $4.95 USD each it would be cheap enough to give it a try.
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2021, 04:26:51 PM »
@hawk, I know $$ 20,- is some money too, but I would try out of "want to know".

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2021, 05:59:17 PM »
@hawk, I know $$ 20,- is some money too, but I would try out of "want to know".

Ruffus, I think I will give it a try. I really can't see anything else causing problems with the bulbs..maybe a good old fashioned resistor will fix the problem!  (and the leds look SO good on the scoot..the brightness level and crisp flashing would be nice)
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

JJJoseph

• Kymco Sento
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2021, 09:15:47 AM »
Read somewhere, guys put a resistor in this indicator line...
But for sure there is someone who did such a conversion.

Yes, it's been covered in great detail here on the Kymco Forum.  Wiring diagrams, resistors, flashers, every detail.  It's here somewhere with the last 2 years. Don't remember exactly where!

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2021, 09:57:57 AM »

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2021, 10:23:02 AM »
Ruffus, I think I will give it a try. I really can't see anything else causing problems with the bulbs..maybe a good old fashioned resistor will fix the problem!  (and the leds look SO good on the scoot..the brightness level and crisp flashing would be nice)

Do let us know the outcome Hawk, I’m keeping my🤞
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2021, 03:38:30 PM »
I ordered 4 resistors last night. Delivery in about a week so I’ll definitely give them a try. I also have a spare led flasher relay from when I bought 2 (due to massive shipping delays at that time) during the height of the pandemic in the Spring of ‘20.

Just to rule out a defective led flasher relay I plan on hooking up my spare to see if anything changes. If not, I’ll install the resistors next week and report back.

In the meantime…our first snow of the season..rain, sleet, ice and snow…ugly day out there!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()