Author Topic: What lane do you ride in?  (Read 4376 times)

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
What lane do you ride in?
« on: November 04, 2010, 06:34:33 PM »
On my commute to work I've notice that I prefer to ride in the passing lane when on a highway. In my case it's a 3-lane highway with a barrier on the left between the highway holding traffic going the opposite way. I've been doing this on the advice of a friend who said it was the safest place to ride because other drivers can only enter your lane from the right, middle lane. Riding in the middle lane means traffic can merge into yours from the left or right, and riding in the right lane means traffic can merge into yours from the left (middle) lane, or from traffic merging from an on ramp, gas station, commercial store, etc ...

Oddly, when riding at night I prefer the middle lane because my lights can't fully illuminate what's to my side, while cars traveling in the left and right lanes give me the illumination that I need, especially when they approach to pass.

Anyway, I was wondering what others' highway riding strategies were?

-Wolf

axy

• View Profile
Re: What lane do you ride in?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 07:08:23 PM »
On my commute to work I've notice that I prefer to ride in the passing lane when on a highway. In my case it's a 3-lane highway with a barrier on the left between the highway holding traffic going the opposite way. I've been doing this on the advice of a friend who said it was the safest place to ride because other drivers can only enter your lane from the right, middle lane. Riding in the middle lane means traffic can merge into yours from the left or right, and riding in the right lane means traffic can merge into yours from the left (middle) lane, or from traffic merging from an on ramp, gas station, commercial store, etc ...

Oddly, when riding at night I prefer the middle lane because my lights can't fully illuminate what's to my side, while cars traveling in the left and right lanes give me the illumination that I need, especially when they approach to pass.

-Wolf

This depends only on one thing: your speed vs. speed of the traffic in the lane you are in.
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

ts1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 09:29:41 PM »
In many countries you don't have a choice of lane, you have to keep right (most EU countries) or left (GB, India, Japan) if you don't actually pass other vehicles.

TechGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 10:51:48 PM »
What lane I ride in depends on what risks are presented to me. I am going to ride in whatever lane is going to remove or minimize as many risks as possible. I tend to ride closer to the center of overall road, away from merging "gutter" traffic that cannot see me due to shallow line of sight and bad viewing angles and where on-coming traffic (higher risk of major accident) can see me. Right side or left side would depend on what country you are in but the rules are the same. 

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 12:08:38 AM »
What lane I ride in depends on what risks are presented to me. I am going to ride in whatever lane is going to remove or minimize as many risks as possible

..i know that's right......

:-\
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

lankeeyankee

• I have an attitude problem with stupidity
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 12:30:24 AM »
I know here in the US the left lane is supposed to be for passing only, even though 95% of people dont abide by this law they still do it, but I cant say I have seen a scooter in the left lane on a highway, I never had the balls to do it.

Right lane I would say.

3 lanes each way is a 6 lane highway, 2 lanes is a secondary road,

6 lane highways here the traffic is moving 75-80MPH in the left lane.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2010, 12:34:54 AM »
6 lane highways here the traffic is moving 75-80MPH in the left lane.

..at least!!

..here, tractor trailers are not allowed in the furthest right-hand lane, if it's three lanes or more in one direction...

TechGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2010, 12:40:43 AM »
... then look over your left shoulder... here I come!

Big fat guy on P250 with ratty plastics.  I run in the left lane all the time.  I even split/share between lane 1 and 2 when the traffic back up on the freeways here.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2010, 12:43:51 AM »
..tech, check out these ratty plastics!!..lol..

"http://kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=3109.15"

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2010, 12:02:05 PM »
The highway I take is a three lane route with a posted speed limit of 45 mph. Average flow of traffic is 55-65 mph, where I do about 55-60. It's about a 3-4 mile stretch that takes one to the Ben Franklin Bridge over to Philly. I agree about finding a bubble to stay safe and to drive so that you can see and be seen. I actually do that more when I'm crossing the bridge, but the highway before that has a row of gas stations and liquor stores along the right of the route were traffic is constantly merging and exiting. I find I'm safest in the far left lane with the division barrier between my scooter and on coming traffic from the  opposite side.

I was curious if anyone has a serious commute to and from work if they've adapted a strategy for riding that deviates from the motorcycle/scooter safety manual, especially with driving at night.

-Wolf

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2010, 01:31:49 PM »

I was curious if anyone has a serious commute to and from work if they've adapted a strategy for riding that deviates from the motorcycle/scooter safety manual, especially with driving at night.

-Wolf

Well, I do not know what should be the "manual rules", but I try to be fast enough and not have other vehicles behind or (especially) beside me. If there is somebody in front of me, I keep plenty of distance. Also, if I can, I overtake it. I use whatever lane necessary and if I am slower than the vehicle behind me, I move to the right lane in order to let it pass in front of me. I wonder why this topic even exists, isn't all this logical?
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 03:18:32 PM by axy »
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

winginman

• View Profile
    • Accugen DNA Service
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2010, 01:50:31 PM »
4 or more lanes, usually the right lane (US) unless passing or traffic in right lane is just too slow.  With the X500 you can run in the left or middle lane at whatever speed traffic is running.  On the expressway not uncommon to run 70 - 75 MPH in left lane unless it's rush hour then it can alternately 10 MPH down to stopped...  That's when my clutch hand is happy to be on the scooter.  ;) 

Jim
09 Kymco 500Ri (His)
04 Aprilia S500 (Hers)
01 Honda GL1800 (Ours)
DNA Paternity Testing www.accugendna.com

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2010, 03:01:34 PM »
Well, I do not know what should be the "manual rules", but I try to be fast enough and not have other vehicles behind or (especially) beside me. If there is somebody in front of me, I keep plenty of distance. Also, if I can, I overtake it. I use whatever lane necessary and if I am slower than the vehicle behind me, I move to the right line in order to let it pass in front of me. I wonder why this topic even exists, isn't all this logical?

My commuting style seems to go against conventional logic -- and works. I was wondering if I was alone in this style. I still use the 2 second follow distance rule, but limiting where merging traffic is coming from means I only have to check my mirrors for who's behind me and a mirror and head check for the right lane in case I do need to switch lanes. My scooter's a 175cc so I can run with most of the big boys in their cages.

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2010, 03:19:54 PM »
My commuting style seems to go against conventional logic -- and works. I was wondering if I was alone in this style. I still use the 2 second follow distance rule, but limiting where merging traffic is coming from means I only have to check my mirrors for who's behind me and a mirror and head check for the right lane in case I do need to switch lanes. My scooter's a 175cc so I can run with most of the big boys in their cages.

Good rule is to be faster than 99.99 % of the traffic.
For this you need 500 cc or more, so it is not scoot-applicable. :)
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2010, 04:02:04 PM »
Naw -- not really interested in getting a Maxi scooter, too big and heavy for me. Plus, many don't have flat running boards. Anyway, I think you need to be smarter than 99.9% of the traffic and minimize and control your risk. I generally hit the road before 6:30 am and miss the bulk of rush hour volume.

I know how New Jersey drivers roll - changing lanes without signals, talking on cell phones, etc. Placing myself where I have to constantly second guess every driver -- driving poorly -- isn't safe. Speed may not always be the answer, least for me.

If I was on one of the areas superhighways, I think what you suggested is true, but I wouldn't ride on those even on the off hours.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()