Author Topic: Kymco AK 550 tool added to the kit  (Read 1029 times)

rjs987

• 2022 Kymco AK 550 - Matte Deep Blue
  • Central Iowa
    • View Profile
Kymco AK 550 tool added to the kit
« on: January 04, 2022, 08:18:17 PM »
Not really an AK 550 specific tool but...
Wanted to be certain I could remove the windshield and front cover under that to be able to get to the battery and/or fuse block while on the road. The battery is in front of the dash displays and the fuse block sits on top the battery.

The AK 550 tool kit does include a 10 mm and 12 mm open ended wrench that fits the bolts holding the shield and shield brackets respectively. It also includes the proper Allen wrench to pop off the plastic rivets for the shield trim strips. BUT those 12 mm bolts for the shield brackets are recessed so that the open ended wrench cannot get in there to even touch those bolts. I could have just included a 12 mm socket that fits a 1/2 inch square drive since one of the tool kit tools has that kind of drive end but I wanted something a little more. I also have already added a small sized Allen set (for the small hex bolts on the sides of the front cover) and a multi-tool that includes pliers to the storage box but those also don't reach deep enough into the recess to grab the bolts without really damaging the bolt heads and scratching up the brackets.

So I bought this from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000WJ6ZJE/?coliid=I2FT774JQXBR6A&colid=18TV0X8O5SQLR&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
I figured a 1/4 inch drive set would be plenty. This tool set includes both the 10 mm and 12 mm sockets and a few others.

It arrived today so I tried it out. Works great. Those bolts, for both the shield and shield bracket, are easily accessed and removed with this and being a T-handle makes the job easy. I'm certain this will come in handy doing other maintenance on the AK. And it's small so doesn't take up a lot of precious space.

I don't really get into carrying a lot of tools on the road, but I do like to take some basic tools.
/bob
2022 Kymco AK 550 Super Touring Extreme in Matte Deep Blue
RETIRED - US Navy and Air National Guard and civilian career

jermwars

• View Profile
Re: Kymco AK 550 tool added to the kit
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2022, 09:18:41 PM »
oh, i like that a LOT...ordered one today. Thanks for the spot
22' KymCo AK550
07' Yamaha Majesty YP400

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2022, 12:05:02 AM »
looks like a handy little set...and I especially like the T handle drive. I have a bigger version of one of those from Motion Pro...quicker to remove bolts with than a little 1/4 drive ratchet.
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

rjs987

• Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2022, 10:01:15 PM »
Just added another tool for the AK 550. This one is for helping with the oil filter changes. I was just watching the price on Amazon to see if it would drop any but decided since the lowest it's been priced is only a little more than 50 cents less I'd go for it now. This one goes in the cabinet in my garage along with the oil filters I have waiting to be used. I checked the fit and it is perfect for the HF-164 filters. Slim enough that I can get my 3/8 drive socket handle to it while on the filter without much hassle.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IZGDV6G/?coliid=I1OT6UYYR2T4YU&colid=18TV0X8O5SQLR&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
/bob

jemo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2022, 03:27:44 PM »
Thanks Bob, I just ordered both tools.  Which brand and weight oil do you use in the AK?

rjs987

• Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2022, 04:38:31 PM »
Thanks Bob, I just ordered both tools.  Which brand and weight oil do you use in the AK?

Oil is really a subject for its own thread. But usually those become WAY too opinionated and WAY too long due to those differing opinions.
Having said that I will give my *opinion* here and that is all it is, though I think it based on some very important facts about the AK 550 and oil.
I was recommended by the dealer to use full synthetic. The service manual shows several viscosities that can be used based on expected temperature the AK will be operated in.
Here's my opinion: Since the AK 550 has a "wet clutch" (meaning the clutch is lubricated in the same oil that is from the main part of the engine) you should only use oils that are specified as being JASO MA/MA2 (JASO MA or JASO MA2). This spec is specific for motorcycles that have a wet clutch. I have read a great many horror stories about the clutch slipping because of oil that is not so specified, sometimes the only resolution is to change out the oil if the symptoms just started but other times the only solution is to replace the clutch pads.

Here is the thread I posted on my first oil change. I mistakenly posted it in the General sub forum and asked that it be moved but I guess it could not.
https://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=31882.0

There are many other threads several pages into the General sub forum as well as several pages back in this Technical sub forum. Keep reading and see what you can see.
/bob

mrmike

• Syuracuse, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2022, 04:39:58 PM »
    Check out cruz tools.com for some other tool kits for cycles or scooters!
Blue '23 People S 150i ABS  Moto Discovery GPS bar, Shad SH33 top case, Iridium spark plug, Black reflective graphics, Battery Tender ring terminal cable, LED tag light.         
Past rides- '73 Honda 450, '00 Harley Softail Deuce, '10 Kymco People 150, '12 Kymco GTI 300, '21 Kymco X-Town 300i ABS

rjs987

• Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2022, 05:03:37 PM »
    Check out cruz tools.com for some other tool kits for cycles or scooters!

On my CTX1300 I added this tool kit from Amazon. I also added a few extra tools to the kit that I found useful. All the tools fit into the bag in this kit except the shock adjustment spanner wrench.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008OXJIGW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I considered about getting another one to put in my AK but I think just adding a few extra tools as mentioned above will be enough to do what I need to be able to do on the road.
/bob

jemo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2022, 05:16:43 PM »

Oil is really a subject for its own thread. But usually those become WAY too opinionated and WAY too long due to those differing opinions.
Having said that I will give my *opinion* here and that is all it is, though I think it based on some very important facts about the AK 550 and oil.
I was recommended by the dealer to use full synthetic. The service manual shows several viscosities that can be used based on expected temperature the AK will be operated in.
Here's my opinion: Since the AK 550 has a "wet clutch" (meaning the clutch is lubricated in the same oil that is from the main part of the engine) you should only use oils that are specified as being JASO MA/MA2 (JASO MA or JASO MA2). This spec is specific for motorcycles that have a wet clutch. I have read a great many horror stories about the clutch slipping because of oil that is not so specified, sometimes the only resolution is to change out the oil if the symptoms just started but other times the only solution is to replace the clutch pads.

Here is the thread I posted on my first oil change. I mistakenly posted it in the General sub forum and asked that it be moved but I guess it could not.
https://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=31882.0

There are many other threads several pages into the General sub forum as well as several pages back in this Technical sub forum. Keep reading and see what you can see.

For sure, a controversial topic.  The previous owner of my AK used Amsoil synthetic for motorcycles.  The manual says to use Kymco oil.  Neither are that easy to find.

rjs987

• Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2022, 05:25:58 PM »
For sure, a controversial topic.  The previous owner of my AK used Amsoil synthetic for motorcycles.  The manual says to use Kymco oil.  Neither are that easy to find.

Here is a link to my copy of the service manual. There is a bit more information than the owner manual has about what oil to use and all other service details... of course.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1M-nAUW1Ay0L6bK50D_EMwYPFT_4-YeDj/view?usp=sharing

Here is a link to my copy of the electrical diagrams for the AK 550.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1M48vAJRF57y060p1fRAHnw0bEhk3DBpd/view?usp=sharing

Both of these are specified for the Euro 4 version of the AK 550 but I doubt there is much, if any, significant change from the information in these documents.
I downloaded these from the Kymco.at website (Austria not Australia) on their downloads page for Technical documents. Most of their documents are in English. It is the only source I've found that has official documents like these for the AK 550.
/bob

rjs987

• Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2022, 03:39:44 AM »
Had a tool pouch from another bike that was bigger than the tool bag on the AK 550. Almost twice as big. I was formerly using it for my tire plug kit with gummy worms and t-handles but decided to slim the tire plug kit down and replace the gummy worms since they were getting old. I bought straight handle tire plug tools and new gummy worms and put that in the AK 550 tool bag and put the tools that came with the AK as well as the extra tools I added into the larger pouch. It worked out much better. Even the tool set I linked to in the first post above fits in there. I removed the clip that holds the socket rib to the handle since that was just taking up extra room and put all in to the larger pouch. I even have room now for a few more extra tools if I find I need to have them along. It really doesn't seem to take up much, if any, extra storage space. I know it does but it fits as if it doesn't. I'll try to remember to take a pic of it later.
/bob

Quick-Star24

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2022, 01:45:55 PM »
How is a T-handle quicker or better than a small socket ratchet? Hmmm....not seeing that at all...I'll be putting a new mirror on today when it gets here since I broke one off when my rear tire went flat overnight and the bike fell over as it was parked on a very slightly slanted sidewalk in front of our front porch.

rjs987

• Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2022, 04:38:48 PM »
How is a T-handle quicker or better than a small socket ratchet? Hmmm....not seeing that at all...I'll be putting a new mirror on today when it gets here since I broke one off when my rear tire went flat overnight and the bike fell over as it was parked on a very slightly slanted sidewalk in front of our front porch.

It's not that a T handle is quicker, but it is simpler and packs smaller and lighter. And it is much quicker than a wrench. I have more leverage with the T handle than a small socket ratchet when I put the socket on one of the shorter legs. What I wanted was to be able to get a socket to reach down into the windshield brackets to remove those bolts that are recessed. So I needed thin wall sockets as well, and no box or open ended wrench would work for that. I initially did use my small ratchet handle with an extension as well as the right socket but the ratchet handle with the extension was bigger and heavier and not as long as just the T handle with a socket. So the T handle ends up being more versatile for me.

BTW, do you already have the mirror coming for sure? Which side?
I have a spare right side mirror stalk with mirror and base that I picked up from someone either here or on another scooter forum for the cost to ship it to me. The mirror does have some blemishes/scratches on the bezel but the glass is good. I just put it on my shelf in the garage in its box and there it sits. I haven't really looked it over much but it does seem to be in very usable condition.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2022, 04:41:33 PM by rjs987 »
/bob

rjs987

• Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2022, 04:44:31 PM »
Come to think of it. I do find a T handle faster than even a ratchet handle since once a bolt is loose I can simply spin the T handle by the shaft to remove the bolt. I can also do that with the ratchet but only with an extension added between the ratchet handle and socket. With both T handle and ratchet handle I can also use my finger to spin the handles around but the T handle is easier to work with IMO. That's why so many mechanic and repair shops have full sets of T handles.
/bob

Quick-Star24

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2022, 03:47:32 PM »
Would love to know what the 2 rubber things are that came in the little tool kit with the new AK 550 I bought....they have a rounded point on each end and look like they are supposed to slip over or on something...no idea what they are but I am sure they are not a tool....LOL

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()