Author Topic: New Here from Sunny Florida  (Read 1079 times)

VeroLikey

• View Profile
New Here from Sunny Florida
« on: January 09, 2022, 01:32:06 PM »
Hey All. Just got a 2014 200i. Got it because it was well reviewed and was up for sale on CL locally for a good deal. Has 2,800 miles. I've ridden it for 2 days and have some definite impressions.

Filled it with gas, found out that you need to leave room at the top, that issue's a lesson learned.

Maintenance by previous owner was done per schedule, but I'm going to change with a good synthetic oil soon.

Front tire is out of balance to the point it really shakes the bike. I gorilla taped an ounce of weight (6 quarters) to the front wheel opposite the stem and it seems to have smoothed it out, will get tape weights tomorrow. I'm going to see how that goes long term but will likely change the front Kenda tire soon.

I've been reading up a lot about the top speed and may ruffle some feathers here, but this is my take on it. This scooters drive train is geared to limit you to 60mph or so. Rider weight is often discussed as a limiting factor (I'm a bigger boned type at 6'2" 260lb) but knowing what I do about aerodynamics, it's is not much of one at all, other than having a generally larger surface area. Here's my reasoning on the gears, this scooter accelerates from 20-45mph very strongly then just sort of creeps up on 55mph. All that oooph up to 45 doesn't disappear at 47, I get the whole cube root function with power vs speed, but this curve I'm sensing is way outside that. 2nd reason, and this one is big, here in Vero Beach we have these 2 really nice bridges going to the beach side of town over the Indian River, with my fat self on this scooter it leaps up to 45mph going uphill over the bridges. I was fully expecting the scoot to bog to 30mph and therefore paint a huge "Hit Me" target on my back due to not keeping up with traffic flow. Nope. So that said, really not sure I'd want to go faster on this because even 60mph is really pushing it for something as light as these scooters are. But I'd bet real money the true top speed with better gearing would be closer to 70-75mph, not that I'd even want to do that on this, but it's there.

The headlight glare thing at night is frightful, I'm tall and only have a 30" inseam, so being all upper body I sit like a 6'5" person, and this make the uplight from the front lamp unbearable. Can of sliver spray paint in the works today.

Valve adjustment soon. Do these valves lose clearance pretty quick? Thanks for the great vid Stig, it'll make the job that much easier having seen it done once first.

The only cosmetic issue is the silver painted heat shield bit on the muffler. 2 reasons for the paint. Other than that, it's in excellent shape. It was in the Dallas area from 14 to 19, then moved here to Florida so it's never seen icky roads. Have others painted the silver bit?

Lastly, the mirrors are not in great shape either, and they're not space out far enough to really see behind me, half the mirror is filled with moi. I was thinking of getting the "ISSYAUTO 360 Degrees Ball-Type Side Rearview Mirror" from Amazon due to the bigger mirrors and they're flat glass so I don't have to guess at how far back things actually are.

I've spent some time looking through posts here and you seem like a good group of folks, looking forward to learning more and letting you see how my ride progresses.
2014 Like 200i

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: New Here from Sunny Florida
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2022, 02:35:59 PM »
Welcome! You have fine ride. Check Stig/Major Tom's posts for solutions on headlight glare and mirrors. He should be along here any minute!

Yeah, only fill gas to that crossbar!

Valves don't change that much.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2022, 05:33:08 PM »
welcome, VeroLikey! Looks you found a nice, low mileage scoot. What's your riding background? An old veteran of many bikes over the years or new to the world of 2 wheels?
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

VeroLikey

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2022, 06:10:15 PM »
welcome, VeroLikey! Looks you found a nice, low mileage scoot. What's your riding background? An old veteran of many bikes over the years or new to the world of 2 wheels?

I had a Honda Nighthawk 650 (4valve one) when I lived in Charleston SC back in 84-85. Was riding scared all the time, didn't see the risk reward thing panning out so I sold it. I've been wanting a scooter here in Vero Beach to be out in the open air for the last couple months. Was thinking of a 50cc but the more I thought about it the less appealing going a lot slower than the rest of the traffic seemed. I got very comfortable with counter steer on the Nighthawk and how to handle that bike. I still drive paranoid as heck all the time and try to maintain space whenever I can. So God willing, my wee self will return from each journey unscathed.
2014 Like 200i

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2022, 08:38:39 PM »
Hello Vero,
Welcome to the forum!
Lucky fellow - Florida and a LIKE200i!
Love 'em both.

IMHO - 55 is fast enough on these wheels, weight and wheelbase.
Paint or tape top edge of headlight.
Yep, mirrors are too short for some of us. I went with some goofy looking Italian long-stemmed mirrors from a guy on ebay - years ago.
Had to use adapters....also found on ebay.

I handle the traffic/scooter thing by staying away from the crazy areas and times, in my town.
I have sussed out the best paving in my town - and stick to it....since the LIKE rides like a wood cart.
In 2500 miles your scoot has needed nothing but a couple oil changes.

Follow the owner's manual for service intervals - and if you like - follow the "how-to's" in a cyclepedia.com service manual (purchase subscription, or the book. Open a service ticket with their techs if needed. Free to subscribers.)

Yep - I changed my Kendas after 400 miles for City Grips.....loved them.

Synthetic or dino oil - follow specs and change it often. Takes less than a qt. Look at & clean the screen every so often - then leave it be. DO NOT over-tighten the screen plug, engine oil drain plug or the gear oil plug!!!
Use new washers, or take care of rubber O-rings .... and "Snug" then stop!
It's an alloy scooter  - not a nuclear sub.

I use only Top Tier fuel.... several brands are Top Tier. It says so on the pump.

Ride it - and keep the oil changed - it is da_n near a bullet proof set-up....if ridden.
Chrome stuff on LIKE's rust in Florida. I've seen plenty of them....mirrors esp.....but doesn't affect their operation.

Invest in some good tires. Change the oil!
I use an Iridium NGK plug -@ $8 ordered from any autoparts store. CR7EIX
Strengthened my idle, which calmed me, while sitting in a mass of texting mothers at 8 lane traffic lights. Follow instructions for tightening. Change it every 5-10 years.

You have a very good scooter -  one of Kymco's best and certainly one of their most reliable. Other than color changes - I'm not aware of Kymco finding any changes needed in the 10 yr run of this model.
Amazing brakes - yes?!!
I ride mine year around here in Ohio....going into it's 9th winter.

Ask questions - we've got answers - or at least something which could pass as plausible :)

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2022, 08:39:08 PM »
I had a Honda Nighthawk 650 (4valve one) when I lived in Charleston SC back in 84-85. Was riding scared all the time, didn't see the risk reward thing panning out so I sold it. I've been wanting a scooter here in Vero Beach to be out in the open air for the last couple months. Was thinking of a 50cc but the more I thought about it the less appealing going a lot slower than the rest of the traffic seemed. I got very comfortable with counter steer on the Nighthawk and how to handle that bike. I still drive paranoid as heck all the time and try to maintain space whenever I can. So God willing, my wee self will return from each journey unscathed.
Go straight to a Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) Basic Rider Course (BRC) immediately! Do NOT pass GO! What you need is in that course. I took the course in the Tampa, FL area and learned loads of good stuff from those two guys in spite of nearly 20 of riding experience. Get busy!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

VeroLikey

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2022, 09:06:58 PM »
Hello Vero,
Welcome to the forum!

Ask questions - we've got answers - or at least something which could pass as plausible :)

Stig

Thanks Stig!
Forgotta ask, what lightbulbs did you settle on for everything? I don't think lighting the top box is for me, but interested in lamps in this order, Headlight, Front White Markers, Rear Brake/Running lamps, & Turn Signals.

Go straight to a Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) Basic Rider Course (BRC) immediately!

Thanks Crossbolt
I'm on it, I'm outta town till the 20th, but will get legal within days of returning up at Palm Bay Harley.
2014 Like 200i

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2022, 10:27:06 PM »
Will you be riding much at night?
Most don't.
Since 2013 - all my rides start in the dark. I ride my LIKE a lot in the dark  :)

All my bulbs are stock incandescent...except for a mostly stock halogen Sylvania headlight - with an orange tint.
Tried a few LED bulbs - went back to incandescent.  Replaced 3W amber running lights with amber 5W bulbs. Euro dead lights are still dead up front.
The LIKE has a nice big tail light...works fine with the stock bulb.
35W headlight is plenty visible to drivers....but is a little lame to ride behind on lit and busy city streets at night.
Some owners have put an LED in there.
Stig

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

scooter freak

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2022, 01:25:29 AM »
I have a 2020 and really like it. mine also tops out around 60 and that's fine. funny, my front tire has had a shake since new. only 1100 miles so far but probably new michelins this year. enjoy a great ride. they're a lot of fun and dependable

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2022, 09:51:12 AM »
@Vero, a warm welcome from sunny Italy too.
Had a couple of LIKE 200i, MYs 2009 and 2013, both excellent runners, reliable and nice to watch.
 Like Stig says, any question will be answered.

For that heat shield: consists of heat resistant plastic, to shine it again, sanding and a plastic primer beneath final silvery/alu colored coat is necessary.

Concerning headlamp bulb: for ME a LED H4 worked out great, plug 'n play.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2022, 11:36:39 AM by Ruffus »
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

VeroLikey

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2022, 10:06:37 PM »
Update Time!!

I added a sploch of paint to the top part of the headlight to reduce the "In Your Face" glare, could have extended it further for optimum effect, but it's much better.

Same silver grill paint (heat resistant) was used to spray on the heat shield, looking much better, not a perfect match, but anyone looking at it would never know the diff.

NEW SKINS!!! At the advice of you all and a good friend that was a crew chief for LMP3 class racing car I ditched the old tires and got the City Grip 2's. Balanced them myself, was surprised that I needed seven 1/4oz weights on the back and six on the front. I suppose I could have rebroken the bead and rotated the tire on the rim to try and find a better pre-weight balance, but I just peeled the sticky tape a few more times instead. Rides very smooth now. The handling is just great now too, it feels much more responsive to swerve about at speed. The old tires felt as though they didn't want to turn as expected, like a car with a lot of understeer, you really had to push it to move and even then it felt somehow out of balance like it was wanting to zig while I was still zagging. Now it feels like it's on rails that I decide where to go, so much more natural, push into the turn and follow with appropriate weight balance. Somewhere along the way I saw a guy that was racing on a scooter...I was like, yeah right, the way mine handled before that would be a scary prospect and not a bit fun trying to get the scoot to respond to what I wanted. Now, with the City Grippers, I'm like, "Where do I sign up for that?!?!!?"

On a side note, getting the tires on and off the rim is a freaking chore. I followed tips on rear wheel R & R from Stig, used a shot of paracoard to hold muffler in place to remove it then tied the same way to reinstall. Worked like a champ, would not have thought to do that were it not for your guide.  Only removed the one screw holding on the mud shield and smooshed it up out of the way, the wheel cleared. Had to deflate the rear for it to get past the back part of engine just above the oil dipstick. Otherwise no issues, the scooter having started out in Austin Texas then here in Florida, it's in amazing condition, zero corrosion.

Got the color matching helmet from Amazon, really like the color, fit, and quick release buckle. It has a flip down visor that still seems to let a bunch of wind smack me in the eye. Might look to getting a pair of goggles fitted with prescription poly carb lenses for riding and dusty work in the shop and such.

Still thinking about the H4 headlight option. My concern is if it will behave right in low beam having a crisp line to not glare at oncoming drivers and when going from low to high beam perform as expected too.

Would also like to replace the rear view mirrors with something wider. I bought a different set and tried them out but they were still too narrow, I need them to be about 2 inches longer sticking out above the hand grips more so I can see past my arms. As of now, I see 2/3rds of me and 1/3rd what's behind me, I'd like to invert that ratio. The one's on there now are kinda beat too and when I replaced them temporarily I noticed they're mismatched as well.
2014 Like 200i

VeroLikey

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2022, 10:12:42 PM »
More Pix. Oh, and I got my motorcycle endorsement last week so now I'm all legal with proper registration and insurance too.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2022, 10:15:18 PM by VeroLikey »
2014 Like 200i

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2022, 12:47:20 AM »
Thanks for your update!
Glad you're riding ....and on some good tires!
I'm on my second set of Michelins - at +18,000 miles. Don't figure to need another set before the scooter either fails me, or me it. :)
Never had a problem with either set being unbalanced once mounted - one tire by a Vespa dealer and 3 tires by my Kymco dealer. Then again I'm never riding above 45, and usually somewhere between low 20's > upper 30's, actual. (in the dark and fog and rain - or all 3)
Much of the scooter is very well finished (looks powder-coated?) save for the chrome headed screws, mirrors and shock springs....these most likely to rust in Florida. Some ACF-50 might slow down any salt air corrosion?

Yeah - mirrors are very important to me. I put these on soon after purchase.
Goofy looking - (the small 2-light LED mounted on the crash bars has various pulses. Used for riding at night in rain or fog)

But I get a great view behind myself!

You've a nice looking scooter!. You did well to bring it back to nice orig. appearance!

OK - now I'm going to be your granny....and I make no apologies for doing so:
Please consider getting yourself a full-face helmet. Sure a full-face closed helmet is hot in Florida - but you can get a good "modular" full-face helmet which you could open at stop lights, or when gassing up. Flip up the visor for full air when riding (leaving the chin bar down for protection)

Your facial structure - nose, chin, jaw, teeth, eye sockets - will be much better protected than in the half-helmet cap you now use.
And while it is nice to match your scooter color - smarter riders than me point out that to drivers THE most visible part of a rider is his helmet. White is best under all lighting conditions. With some 3M reflective bits added where you like.

Anyway - always good to hear from other LIKE riders - especially the first generation LIKE riders. (2nd gen. LIKE's are a very different scooter)
And thanks for the photos!
Take some around some palm trees to make us notherner's crazy.

Stig

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2022, 08:09:44 PM »
A LIKE to like, congrats!!
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2022, 09:37:10 AM »
Thanks for your update!

OK - now I'm going to be your granny....and I make no apologies for doing so:
Please consider getting yourself a full-face helmet. Sure a full-face closed helmet is hot in Florida - but you can get a good "modular" full-face helmet which you could open at stop lights, or when gassing up. Flip up the visor for full air when riding (leaving the chin bar down for protection)

Your facial structure - nose, chin, jaw, teeth, eye sockets - will be much better protected than in the half-helmet cap you now use.
And while it is nice to match your scooter color - smarter riders than me point out that to drivers THE most visible part of a rider is his helmet. White is best under all lighting conditions. With some 3M reflective bits added where you like.

Stig

Just like to echo Granny Stig, although I did occasionally wear an open face lid when younger, the sight of a lad who'd face planted the asphalt while wearing one put me off the idea for life.  Use a full face (I find modulars very noisy) and if it's hot just soak a bandana or skull cap at regular intervals.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()